oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Warnocks free agent bargain bin extravaganza

What would people think of signing that Stewart Downing who was recently released by Blackburn? I assume he would be the kind of player we could all agree on, and certainly not a divisive figure like many in our current squad.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Johnson and Spence aren't good enough to play the system. Spence should be nowhere near the first team, was thrown in way too soon and too raw out of desperation because Woodgate's plan boiled down to throw darts at the board until it went well.

3-5-2 RELIES on the wing-backs. They are VITAL. The single most important position in the system. They provide the width, which ours don't, and hence why we never break teams down. How often do our players get to the by-line and pull the ball back into a dangerous area? Statistically, most goals are scored inside the 6 yard box. How often do we get the ball there in a match?

It's not rocket science. It has been the same for years. At the moment, we are a hit-and-hope side, and it is 90% because we have no effective wing play.

Literally had a message typed about to send but you said it better, our attacking philosophy is so unimaginative, like you say we don't have the players to get at defenders, get to the byline and have a better chance of finding a dangerous cross/cut back our only game plan is to work it slowly to Marvin Johnson and hope 1 of his 30 crosses from a non dangerous area is perfect

Some of us are sick to death of how slow, toothless and uninspiring we are going forward, we're crying out for 2 wide players who can produce those few moments of genius in games to get a goal or set one up. 

We don't have a single player who get you off your seat in anticipation as soon as they get the ball, only player even sort of close is Spence really

• Like 3

1 minute ago, uncle_rico said:

Bit of potential transfer news - just been told we have enquired about Greg Cunningham. Nothing more than that but a few other clubs are in for him too.

im-richie-cunningham-and-this-is-my-wife-oprah.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

Bit of potential transfer news - just been told we have enquired about Greg Cunningham. Nothing more than that but a few other clubs are in for him too.

What are you doing posting transfer news on this thread? 🙄

3 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

A LWB. Seems we've highlighted an issue if true. 

1 minute ago, Snowblind said:

A LWB. Seems we've highlighted an issue if true. 

according to the internet he can play CB and LB, not much mention of him as a LWB, but he probably can

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

according to the internet he can play CB and LB, not much mention of him as a LWB, but he probably can

I've only seen him as a more forward thinking FB/WB, but must admit that was a few seasons back. He's 29 now, so may well have changed.

Hopefully he could slot in the LCB position in a similar form to Dijksteel. 

10 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

Can't get in the Cardiff team ahead of Joe Bennett.. Not sure on this one. 

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

What would people think of signing that Stewart Downing who was recently released by Blackburn? I assume he would be the kind of player we could all agree on, and certainly not a divisive figure like many in our current squad.

I see him as a potential fans favourite across the board, especially with over 50's who will love his attitude to 50/50s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Brunners said:

we

aren't

going

to

buy

wingers

It's more than okay to ask for creative options but the sooner you stop asking for wingers the happier you will be. We need creative options that can operate centrally. A true number 10 for one.

Jeez this is some Stockholm syndrome ***! Just because its how it is doesnt mean accepting that facr should make us any happier.

We could easily have gone with wingers - this rubbish about us basing the squad around what we have suiting this system best doesn't wash with me. 

Warnock has signed 5 players (i include Johnson in that because he was out of contract and his wages could have went to another free signing instead). Pressumable he's going to sign at least one more striker and one more centre back. 

If warnock really wanted to play a 433, he could have easily done so with 5 new signings (lw, rw, lb, rb, cb) never mind another two on top of that. Given we've spent a decent amount (akpom and morsey fees, bettinelli won't have come cheap), I dont see why we couldn't have managed that.

Were going with the 532 out of choice, not out of necessity. 

My only worry is that when Warnock tells Gibson we need more wing-backs, we'll end up with something like this:

image.thumb.png.fc3be4589b234afb9ff0809262dd698e.png

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Jeez this is some Stockholm syndrome ***! Just because its how it is doesnt mean accepting that facr should make us any happier.

We could easily have gone with wingers - this rubbish about us basing the squad around what we have suiting this system best doesn't wash with me. 

Warnock has signed 5 players (i include Johnson in that because he was out of contract and his wages could have went to another free signing instead). Pressumable he's going to sign at least one more striker and one more centre back. 

If warnock really wanted to play a 433, he could have easily done so with 5 new signings (lw, rw, lb, rb, cb) never mind another two on top of that. Given we've spent a decent amount (akpom and morsey fees, bettinelli won't have come cheap), I dont see why we couldn't have managed that.

Were going with the 532 out of choice, not out of necessity. 

I dont think Brunners is saying anything different, it just seems fairly obvious that Warnock thinks we would need too many players in (i.e. two full backs and two wingers) and he doesnt think its achievable. So he has committed to a different path

I dont agree with Warnock's thinking and would at least hope we tried to get those players in but it does seem counterproductive for fans to expect us to sign wingers when Warnock has been very upfront about that not being the plan

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

My only worry is that when Warnock tells Gibson we need more wing-backs, we'll end up with something like this:

image.thumb.png.fc3be4589b234afb9ff0809262dd698e.png

do you do them in leather?

3 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I dont think Brunners is saying anything different, it just seems fairly obvious that Warnock thinks we would need too many players in (i.e. two full backs and two wingers) and he doesnt think its achievable. So he has committed to a different path

I dont agree with Warnock's thinking and would at least hope we tried to get those players in but it does seem counterproductive for fans to expect us to sign wingers when Warnock has been very upfront about that not being the plan

The narrative is that warnocks hand has been forced to play this formation but its simply not true. With 7 new players you can readdress the balance of the squad to whatever formation you want. 

The decision seems to be on the basis that we have wing backs - but they've been our weakest players to so far. So far, the logic seems to be very flawed.

The 3-5-2 works best when the outside CB's are comfortable in wide areas so suitable converted FB's usually excel in a 3

If Greg Cunningham can play LCB he would give the option to play a 4 or a 3