oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Warnocks free agent bargain bin extravaganza

37 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I know they are rivals to¬†your team, but you got to admit, that they play exciting football ūüėȬ†
One more ggod game after that fine result in Prague and it's Champions League, baby! 

Exciting and Midtjylland don’t mix. But they are damn good at playing for a result. With Sisto back it might be more entertaining. Anyway, transfers eh. 

after some terrible finishing today, i took the time to work out how boro have faired with goals scorers in the championship, i looked at how many players have scored 20 or more in a season since boros relegation and how many players have scored 15 or more in a season. * this will only take in to account league goals.

since the 09/10 season the average number of players per season scoring 20 goals or more in the league has been 4, the average number of players score 15 or more has been 11.

no boro has scored 20 or more league goals in our 10 seasons in the championship, and only 2 player have scored 15 or more britt with 15 in the 17/18 and bamford in 14/15.

intresting fact, before these two you have to go back to ravanelli in 96/97 to find another boro player who scored more 15 or more leagues in a season.

only twice have boro have strikers who have place in the top 10 scorers, not suprising bamfords 17 goals meant he was 10th and assombonga's 15 placed him 8th. 

an even more damning statistic is that only 3 time have boro had a player finish in the top 15 scorers in the league, the two previously mentioned players in britt and bamford and also marvin emnes in 11/12 season.

Not really sure what my goal is of posting these statistics, as were all aware how bad weve been with aquring strikers over the year, but even i didnt realise how bad it was until i sat down and crunched the numbers. For a club our size with our resources to have only had 3 players feature in the top 15 goal scorers in the league over 10 seasons is a damning indictment of our recruitment.

86/87-91/92 - Bernie Slaven scored 15 or more for six seasons running, including 15 in the top flight.  

Just now, Tobermory said:

98/99 Hamilton Ricard 15 goals

i mentioned ravenelli but i admit i forgot forgot ricard, but thats not really the point im trying to make,i did say i was focusing on the last 10 years in the championship as i can forgive us not having a 15 goal a season striker in the prem. so the point i was making is based off of the 10 years in the championship.

on the players you mentioned though, the fact that that we have back over 20 years (ricard and ravanelli and 25/30 years for slaven and Hendrie to find players who acheived this illistrates the point im trying to make.

Edited by tmcc

53 minutes ago, tmcc said:

i mentioned ravenelli but i admit i forgot forgot ricard, but thats not really the point im trying to make,i did say i was focusing on the last 10 years in the championship as i can forgive us not having a 15 goal a season striker in the prem. so the point i was making is based off of the 10 years in the championship.

on the players you mentioned though, the fact that that we have back over 20 years (ricard and ravanelli and 25/30 years for slaven and Hendrie to find players who acheived this illistrates the point im trying to make.

I agree entirely.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmcc said:

Not really sure what my goal is of posting these statistics, as were all aware how bad weve been with aquring strikers over the year, but even i didnt realise how bad it was until i sat down and crunched the numbers. For a club our size with our resources to have only had 3 players feature in the top 15 goal scorers in the league over 10 seasons is a damning indictment of our recruitment.

I read your post as frustration that even when Britt has been given 2 chances within the 6 yard box, with only the keeper to beat, he has needed a third or possibly fourth such chance to score. Hopefully we will get another striker in with a physical presence up top to give Warnock options. You cannot deny Britts workrate this season, but whilst he is supposedly our main man I have accepted we will not be in the mix for the play offs. People say we dont create enough, but if Roberts had set those chances up they would be saying he was just what we need. He isn’t, we need a striker that can put those chances away.

• Like 1

We finished 2nd and were promoted in one of these seasons. Leeds top scorer in the Championship last season was Bamford with 17. No other player managed double figures in league goals for them. WBA top scorer in the league got 10. It’s nice to have a 20 goal striker but by no means a necessity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CrazyL said:

We finished 2nd and were promoted in one of these seasons. Leeds top scorer in the Championship last season was Bamford with 17. No other player managed double figures in league goals for them. WBA top scorer in the league got 10. It’s nice to have a 20 goal striker but by no means a necessity.

no doubt a solid defense can be enough to see you up, but i think teams getting promoted without a 15 goal+ player is an expection to the rule. 
leeds and fulham both had 1 last season

Norwich sheffiedd and villa all a 20+ goal strikr season before
season before that both wolves and fulham did

16/17 newcastle and brighton

15/16 burnley and hull both had 20+ goal scorers.

14/15 season watford had 2 20+ socrers, bourneouth had 1 player 20 goals and norwich also a player with 18

13/14 leicester and burnley had  20+ striker and qpr had charlie austin with 17

12/13 Palace and watford had 20+

11/12 southampton and west ham 20+ striker

10/11 all three teams had players with 15 goals or more, norwich had 1 20 goal + striker

again not saying it not possible, but it seems as though at least about 75% of the time a promoted side had at least one player scoring 15 goals or more in a season.

Edited by tmcc

28 minutes ago, tmcc said:

no doubt a solid defense can be enough to see you up, but i think teams getting promoted without a 15 goal+ player is an expection to the rule. 
leeds and fulham both had 1 last season

Norwich sheffiedd and villa all a 20+ goal strikr season before
season before that both wolves and fulham did

16/17 newcastle and brighton

15/16 burnley and hull both had 20+ goal scorers.

again not saying it not possibly, but it seems as though at least about 75% of the time a promoted side had at least one player scoring 15 goals or more in a season.

But what percentage of players scoring 15 or more, or 20 or more get promoted each year?

But what percentage of players scoring 15 or more, or 20 or more get promoted each year?

lol i cant be bothered to work that out, but i dont think it matters all that much, i think the fact that only 25% of promoted teams have done so without a 15+ goal a season striker is the important stat for what iv prestented.

3 minutes ago, tmcc said:

lol i cant be bothered to work that out, but i dont think it matters all that much, i think the fact that only 25% of promoted teams have done so without a 15+ goal a season striker is the important stat for what iv prestented.

12 players scored 15 or more last season. 2 got promoted.  That's 17%.

It isn't just about having a striker that puts away chances.

It's about the team.  The AK Championship years showed us that.

12 players scored 15 or more last season. 2 got promoted.  That's 17%.

It isn't just about having a striker that puts away chances.

It's about the team.  The AK Championship years showed us that.

yes but 75% of promoted sides had a 15 goal a season striker, suggesting that if you dont have that your chances of going up are dramtically less. im not saying that it gurantees you promotion, but without a 15 goal a season striker your chances or going up are dramatically less than if you have one.

Also another stat, 19 teams of the 30 promoted over the last 10 years had a 20+ goal a season striker, there were 40 players who scored 20 goals or more in season in this period, so if you have a player with score 20 goals or more in your squad you effecitvly have 50% percentage of promotion.