oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think we need leaders.  I think all of that is a load of ***.  I think we need good footballers.

I think we need some good footballers who are also leaders. I can't think of a successful team that didn't have at least one leader in the camp.

Gerrard, Terry, Ince, Robson, Keane, Southgate. Doesn't always have to be shouty but they first and foremost need to be good footballers.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

We've got half a squad, right now. The wage bill is probably about as trim as it could be, barring 1 or 2.

Fletcher and Assombalonga prove that wrong. You could get rid of them two, get 3 replacements and still significantly cut the wage bill. Probably improve our options.

Equally you could get rid of Saville and McNair, get 3 players in and still save.

Honestly if the two strikers are still at the club in the final week of the window I would get it over with and make them available for free.

11 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I think we need some good footballers who are also leaders. I can't think of a successful team that didn't have at least one leader in the camp.

Gerrard, Terry, Ince, Robson, Keane, Southgate. Doesn't always have to be shouty but they first and foremost need to be good footballers.

Completely agree. We need someone who is willing to scream at their team mates who is not doing as instructed but is also a constant 8/10 performer every week (like Grant Leadbitter).

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, scottpilgrim said:

Fletcher and Assombalonga prove that wrong. You could get rid of them two, get 3 replacements and still significantly cut the wage bill. Probably improve our options.

Equally you could get rid of Saville and McNair, get 3 players in and still save.

Honestly if the two strikers are still at the club in the final week of the window I would get it over with and make them available for free.

We’ve just found a pair of strikers who actually link fairly well together (and in Fletcher a young one with big upside), I really don’t want to take the gamble of trying to replace both in a short summer, and I don’t think the club will.

• Like 8

@diggerlad07. Your source still confident Warnock will sign on mate? Slightly surprised reports suggesting he asked for more time.

If he dont come I wont lose sleep over it as would rather have Pearson but on same note we could and have done worse than Warnock.

Thanks in advance for info

32 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Of course we need leaders. Every successful team needs them. 

Who are Man City's leaders?

29 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Man Utd weren't particularly successful while Robson was there.  Liverpool managed how many titles with Gerrard?  Zero.  Southgate won what in his career?  A couple of League Cups?  Were Chelsea successful because Terry was a leader or because they spent a Billion quid on some of the best players in the world?  England couldn't get near winning anything with Terry, Gerrard, Ferdinand etc and yet they would be regarded as natural leaders.

It's a massively overblown concept.  We weren't struggling this season because we lacked leadership on the field.  It was all about everything that had happened off the field.  We also didn't win 4 games out of 8 because we suddenly found some either.  We didn't get promoted because Leadbitter was playing for us, we got promoted because we built a decent side.  Leadbitter was a Boro player when we weren't particularly good as well.  Are we saying he didn't have these leadership skills but he suddenly developed them just at the point when we happened to get better?  It's looking for something because you believe it must be there, primarily because it keeps getting repeated. 

Do people really think that bad teams don't have leaders as well?  Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford as three recent examples?  In most groups, leadership occurs naturally, as people fit into whatever hierarchy exists.  Get good footballers, develop a solid plan and you will become a good team.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Who are Man City's leaders?

Man Utd weren't particularly successful while Robson was there.  Liverpool managed how many titles with Gerrard?  Zero.  Southgate won what in his career?  A couple of League Cups?  Were Chelsea successful because Terry was a leader or because they spent a Billion quid on some of the best players in the world?  England couldn't get near winning anything with Terry, Gerrard, Ferdinand etc and yet they would be regarded as natural leaders.

It's a massively overblown concept.  We weren't struggling this season because we lacked leadership on the field.  It was all about everything that had happened off the field.  We also didn't win 4 games out of 8 because we suddenly found some either.  We didn't get promoted because Leadbitter was playing for us, we got promoted because we built a decent side.  Leadbitter was a Boro player when we weren't particularly good as well.  Are we saying he didn't have these leadership skills but he suddenly developed them just at the point when we happened to get better?  It's looking for something because you believe it must be there, primarily because it keeps getting repeated. 

Do people really think that bad teams don't have leaders as well?  Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford as three recent examples?  In most groups, leadership occurs naturally, as people fit into whatever hierarchy exists.  Get good footballers, develop a solid plan and you will become a good team.

poor lads, had to settle for European and Domestic cups

Keane a lot more, good thing he was there as the likes of Beckham and Scholes etc broke through  - oh and also good leaders in their own way.

Man City has a squad of players confident in their own and their teammates abilities. everyone of them is a leader.

I definitely think leaders are needed it's what drives a team to hold on to a lead or push for a needed goal you watch our defence last season it's every man for himself stuff you have Friend trying to keep track of everything when he's in there but he needs to worry about himself these days he's hardly a commanding presence isn't the entire reasoning around this supposed new contract offer because of his experience and leadership? Give me someone fresher with captain experience like Gunter on a similar wage over resigning Friend as a makeshift CB and face around the training ground.

In midfield you have McNair venturing forward and carrying the ball but you wouldn't say he directs play or directs teammates he just runs down alleys and gets his head up at the last second to see what's happening then you look at Dael he's in his own head most of the time focusing on his man and his position I don't think I've ever seen him scream at a fullback if they and their mistakes/positioning screw him over it just passes as if que sera sera.

If we can get some free agents in the door who aren't just proven at this level but proven in leadership positions that's the foundations of a proper team we should put all available resources to that in my opinion because the only way we go up in the near future is by building a proper team bullying our way up unless we suddenly go Brentford moneyball and fill the squad with cheap foreign players which given our recruitment policy I'd say is unlikely.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I definitely think leaders are needed it's what drives a team to hold on to a lead or push for a needed goal you watch our defence last season it's every man for himself stuff you have Friend trying to keep track of everything when he's in there but he needs to worry about himself these days he's hardly a commanding presence isn't the entire reasoning around this supposed new contract offer because of his experience and leadership? Give me someone fresher with captain experience like Gunter on a similar wage over resigning Friend as a makeshift CB and face around the training ground.

In midfield you have McNair venturing forward and carrying the ball but you wouldn't say he directs play or directs teammates he just runs down alleys and gets his head up at the last second to see what's happening then you look at Dael he's in his own head most of the time focusing on his man and his position I don't think I've ever seen him scream at a fullback if they and their mistakes/positioning screw him over it just passes as if que sera sera.

If we can get some free agents in the door who aren't just proven at this level but proven in leadership positions that's the foundations of a proper team we should put all available resources to that in my opinion because the only way we go up in the near future is by building a proper team bullying our way up unless we suddenly go Brentford moneyball and fill the squad with cheap foreign players which given our recruitment policy I'd say is unlikely.

Good post 

I do also believe that Friend's presence  in the back line gave us something important in our 4 wins after the C-19 break.

6 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

poor lads, had to settle for European and Domestic cups

Keane a lot more, good thing he was there as the likes of Beckham and Scholes etc broke through  - oh and also good leaders in their own way.

Man City has a squad of players confident in their own and their teammates abilities. everyone of them is a leader.

Three FA Cups and a European Cup Winners cup for a club their size is next to nothing.  It was a decade of underperformance, which his leadership couldn't do anything about.

Yeah, if it wasn't for Keane those players wouldn't have amounted to anything 🙄  Scholes was a leader? 🙂

That's a convenient explanation for Man City but not one based in reality.  They have a squad of players none of whom would be called leaders in the way that people are discussing it here.  Being confident in your ability has nothing to do with leadership neither does being confident in someone else's ability.

All teams have 'leaders'.  Some teams are good and some teams are bad regardless of it though.

4 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Good post 

I do also believe that Friend's presence  in the back line gave us something important in our 4 wins after the C-19 break.

Not the five defeats though?

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)