oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Old Codger said:

I think that he no longer has the speed to be in the last line of defence...he was caught out a number of times in the run-in, one of which led to the red card,  although he is fairly consistent, he doesn't have the physicality to compete in the centre of the park and I suppose by default that puts him as a left hand midfielder.. 

the red card was him being frustrated and lashing out

well...wouldn't call it lashing out....mistimed possibly but either way, he was caught out for speed several times during that match...I think he is still a decent player, just losing his edge very slightly ....can still do a job but needs more cover than he used to   

Even with no rumours today, I still back Warnock to bring in players he would actually use for his style and system. I’ve just watched (I know late to the party) Sunderland til I die season 2 and their January window episode.

Firstly, It amazes me how the chairman splurged money on Will Grigg when he could have used that extra money to get Maja to stay. But secondly, and more boro related was that the manager at the time Jack Ross didn’t really fancy Will Grigg, but the chairman bought him anyway. Surprise surprise, Will Grigg struggled and didn’t fit in to how they play. 

How does this relate to Boro? Well I think in the past, we have bought players who don’t fit a style and system for a manager. I think Warnock won’t sanction players to come if they don’t fit in, and this is obviously a huge positive moving forward. 

Put it this way, I’m more confident that players will come to us for Warnock and work for him as opposed to a Boro under Woodgate. You can already tell the mentality of moving on quickly and not begging for players had an impact. 

Why did Woodgate start Gestede vs Swansea, knowing that Gestede wouldn’t want to play in case he got injured. Warnock commands respect and Woodgate was seeking it. Big difference in mentality that I think gets overlooked with Woodgate and the recruitment side. 

• Like 15

When looking at Wing, its important to remember that we will chastise a player for attemtping direct passes and giving the ball away, but label them a crab if they go sideways and probably boo them if they pass backwards. Crabs and back passers are encouraged to attempt more direct passes which could lead to them giving the ball away whilst direct passers are criticised for not having ball retention. Leadbitter Clayton and Forshaw were all at some time labelled as too negative. Now we like Howson and Saville because they keep things ticking over. Least we are consistent. To be fair, any of those 3 plus even Butterfield would have been welcome last season.

Can’t believe Jordan Rhodes just turned 30 in February. Feels like he has been around for ages. Not for us as a signing but 109 goals in the Championship and will do well somewhere. Not a bad option for the last 15 minutes when chasing a game. Often gets criticized that’s it’s like playing with 10 men when he doesn’t score after starting. 

Well said @ManBearPig - We've seen time this over the years Alves and Rhodes comes to mind. The chairman wanted goals and looked to them - but didn't look to the team and hence it didn't work out. 

For me, we want people that want to play for the club and manager  and not someone looking for a bumper deal before retiring or just to double up salary.

We have plenty of time to search for these talents and get a core built. 

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)