oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

So Moore to Cardiff, Amos to QPR, Gibbo to Norwich, Gnanduillet to Turkey and Second bid for Goode rejected

Rough day for us huh 

Let's hope its not Gazette spin that they weren't really our top targets 

Let's be fair, there is nothing to say we were genuinely in for Gnanduillet and he hardly looked a world beater, Goode is still possible and were we ever in the driving seat for either of the other two?

I know it's easy to get carried away in the doom and gloom but we will have lists much bigger than we have heard and clearly this window is yet to take off across the league

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-reject-fourth-bid-goode-curle-insists-clubs-must-meet-his-asking-price-2940270

In case anyone's catching up on Goode, the journo there is saying their asking price is actually over a million now.

Unless he was an U21 superstar I wouldn't be paying over a million for a League 2 CB.

If our second (or third?) bid was at that 750k mark we seemed to initially value him at we might have a call to make on whether we step away or not, either way we need a CB and the best League 1 CBs are priced at seven figures so it's a rough market, wonder if this is where our Goode pursuit ends.

Over a million for a league 2 player who’s 25 years old. Madness. Stop buying from those leagues. So much overvalued dross. 

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Over a million for a league 2 player who’s 25 years old. Madness. Stop buying from those leagues. So much overvalued dross. 

Have to agree. Half a million and you think its still a good deal for Northampton. 

• Like 1

Football finances are mad...we are debating whether the lad is worth two weeks or three weeks pay for Ozil or Sanchez....many moons ago, people screamed when we paid £50K for a 23-year-old from Mansfield who nobody had heard off...some gambles come off, some don't ...even at £1 million, he is not really that much of a gamble unless nobody else was interested at any price..not likely to lose much in value in next couple of years , so if we really want him, he will end up here and probably carrying a lot less baggage than some of our "star" players 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Football finances are mad...we are debating whether the lad is worth two weeks or three weeks pay for Ozil or Sanchez....many moons ago, people screamed when we paid £50K for a 23-year-old from Mansfield who nobody had heard off...some gambles come off, some don't ...even at £1 million, he is not really that much of a gamble unless nobody else was interested at any price..not likely to lose much in value in next couple of years , so if we really want him, he will end up here and probably carrying a lot less baggage than some of our "star" players 

I agree that if we want him we'll pay the price, it was not a year ago we paid nearly 2 million for a Charlton RB that we were adamant we weren't paying the price for until 5 bids in and we... Paid the price they wanted all along.

Still blows my mind by our own previous managers admission we spent a month last summer chasing Lukas Nmecha then when he went elsewhere threw up the white flag, for me even with only 1 signing and a couple near misses we've improved on that clownshow.

To my eye Amos/Moore seem like Warnock trying to just take an opportunity in the market rather than them being do or die absolutely devastated we missed out lights out lads lets hit the pub. The 1 target we seem really keen on, the number of bids prove it, is Goode it will probably have a Dijksteel conclusion where it drags, no one else comes in for him and we get him or someone else comes to Warnock's mind in the meantime and we walk away.

Alot of things seem to be happening in the background right now it's not a time to judge anything yet he always managed to get in the numbers he needed at Cardiff so I have faith we wont be left with unfilled holes like Pulis/Woodgate left themselves with it's whether the players he brings in on balance give us all hope we can score 60+ league goals and give ourselves a chance.

3 hours ago, xathras said:

So we've signed one player and some people are melting down.

Good to see boro are thinking it through, working way through the highs and lows of transfer market and know we have two months left. 

In Warnock I trust. He hasn't come out frustrated yet. We haven't been drawn into bidding wars etc.

Let's also not forget money is tight everywhere months have gone by and teams have had no revenues from gate receipts. Look at rest of championship not as if everyone has gone crazy yet

Trust Warnock all you want, we still have the same useless set up.

Warnock has said he wants Hoilett and the club havent even approached Cardiff.

We start pre season training next week and we cant put two 11s out without playing people out of postion or players with no first team experience.

We are a mess and I have no confidence that Bauser and Gill wont make it worse let alone improve it.

9 minutes ago, scottpilgrim said:

We start pre season training next week and we cant put two 11s out without playing people out of postion or players with no first team experience.

We are a mess and I have no confidence that Bauser and Gill wont make it worse let alone improve it.

Some nice weather we're having though eh 👍

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, scottpilgrim said:

your assumption or fact?

I'm starting to think we need to change our attitude here, yes we need a lot of transfers in to have any kind of success but that doesn't mean it's possible in this current climate. It's a ridiculous window, a league two defender is being priced at a mill and players out of contract can't get deals because clubs don't have the money they want.

Rather than getting on a our recruitment is rubbish bandwagon, let's look at the bigger picture. The bed wetting already on twitter is ridiculous and just a bit unhealthy to be honest and all around a league one striker who we may never have actually been in for and a Welsh international who was always going to the Welsh side with parachute payments

Edited by SzilardNemethsCurtains
13 minutes ago, scottpilgrim said:

When did Warnock say he wants Hoilett?

All i have read is what the Gazette said which was that we have "identified him as a potential summer signing", all that means is we have written his name down on a list of possible targets.

I don't even know what Gary Gill's doing at Boro nowadays he's not pointman on recruitment anymore it seems from Warnock's interview anyway.

Warnock said he works with Sam Jackson our new hire from earlier this year and he's head of scouting. Then he works with Gibson/Bausor when he comes up with a name he wants and goes from there he made it sound like he'd be very hands on in agent negotiations and player/club contact so I'm not even sure how Bausor can cock this summer up.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/samjackson94

So fwiw seems like if this window goes balls up it will be a new setup doing the ballsing up, so there has been a restructure of sorts on recruitment I guess we'll see if it works better but in truth it can't be much worse.

Edited by Jamie-H
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Z3man said:

When did Warnock say he wants Hoilett?

All i have read is what the Gazette said which was that we have "identified him as a potential summer signing", all that means is we have written his name down on a list of possible targets.

He didn't.  He said he wanted the toilet but someone misheard him.  It was just for a number one in case anyone is interested.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)