oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Aye we don't even know if that no show thing is true though. Let's not start assuming rumours are true before we have confirmation. The 'No player is bigger than the club' brigade will start ranting soon.

To be fair we dont know what really happened. He could have conceivably gone down to Cornwall to speak to Warnock. I remember the will he, wont he saga with Clayton and he did very well for us. It may be that the woman in payroll cant work out his wages unless he starts on the 1st of the month. Next Tuesday is when it will all happen.

• Like 2

Stewart not showing is only speculation so we don't know that has happened.....

If the speculation is true, it just seems like his heart isn't in coming to Boro and he only will while he has limited options but is hoping/holding out for a better offer. 

It'd be nice if we could develop a transfer reputation that lands somewhere between "Here, have all of our money" and "If you don't sign this contract by tomorrow, you can sod off". Obviously we don't want to be seen as pushovers but you don't solve the problem of signing players by not playing ball at all. It feels like when we have money we operate at one extreme and when we don't, we operate at the other.

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, Will said:

No, tbh he could just be taking his time to weigh up his options. I think it's poor form from the club to give short deadlines to players to decide on what is a big move in their life tbh.

Quick reminder that the games start in less than a week.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It'd be nice if we could develop a transfer reputation that lands somewhere between "Here, have all of our money" and "If you don't sign this contract by tomorrow, you can sod off". Obviously we don't want to be seen as pushovers but you don't solve the problem of signing players by not playing ball at all. It feels like when we have money we operate at one extreme and when we don't, we operate at the other.

It does seem like that.

So, say we don't sign anyone before now and the opening game. How would people like to see us set up? Perhaps highlight where we need bodies in most desperately.

Given the only viable wing options we have are generally full bakcs, Johnson, or Browne - I'd go for a Wing Back system, but then we're still short at CB... One of Dijksteel, McNair or Howson would likely have to play there.

4 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

So, say we don't sign anyone before now and the opening game. How would people like to see us set up? Perhaps highlight where we need bodies in most desperately.

Given the only viable wing options we have are generally full bakcs, Johnson, or Browne - I'd go for a Wing Back system, but then we're still short at CB... One of Dijksteel, McNair or Howson would likely have to play there.

Has to be a 3-5-2 I think. The players we have are great for it

Now, I’m no business man and I’m no fan of the cliche about ‘showing ambition’. But, from a business perspective, surely now is the right time for Gibson to make sure we do some decent business in the transfer market. 

Without access to seeing games in person, it’s a perfect opportunity for people to lose interest in the club and take their time/money/emotional investment elsewhere. If this ends up being a distinctly underwhelming transfer window (as it currently has been) then the chances of apathy creeping in for supporters will only increase further. On the flip side, making some good signings could help keep supporters engaged with the club whilst it’s impossible to attend games. Not only would it initially send out the message that our aspirations are higher than they were last season (ie avoid relegation), assuming it translates to a higher league performance it should also increase engagement throughout the course of the season. 

Maybe there is recognition of this fact among the MFC hierarchy, I’m not too sure. Given the unique circumstances, I think it’s especially vital that the club avoid what happened last summer under Woodgate and the Pulis summer regarding wingers.

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy
  • Like 1

I think the ship has sailed on the apathy thing.. with the one two punch of pulis and woodgate I think interest in the club has got to be at an all time low. Im following this transfer window but despite how horribly its going, I'm not getting angry or upset because its just par for the course now. 

• Like 3

I don't think we've been linked with a single player that indicates high aspirations.

Even if we'd signed every player we'd tried for, they'd all be fairly low on a list of ideal signings.

We're currently spending nothing, bringing in next to nobody, and have a threadbare squad. It's a major worry, I don't think we're at any real risk of going down but it just means that next summer will be even more difficult if the club don't pull their finger out. Warnock will leave, more players are out of contract and we'll be weaker than we are now.

• Like 2
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)