oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

How big a squad do we need?

In 1987/1988 when we were promoted we had a squad of 18, Trevor Senior came in March. (Pears, Poole; Cooper, Glover, Kernaghan, Laws, Mowbray, Mohan, Pallister, Parkinson; Burke, Gill, Hamilton, Kerr, Proudlock, Ripley; Slaven, Stephens)

When Leeds went up last year the following 17 played 17 games or more (Casilla; Ayling, Douglas, White, Cooper, Dallas, Berardi; Alioski, Costa, Hernandez, Harrison, Phillips, Klich, Shackleton; Bamford, Roberts, Nketiah).

Providing you have the quality and are lucky with injuries, you can get by with less than 20.

We have 15 regulars at the moment. (Pears, Stojanovic; Fry, Spence, Coulson,  Dijksteel, Hall; Saville, Tavernier, Howson, Wing, McNair, Johnson; Assombalonga, Fletcher). 

2 to 3 quality signings may be good enough then?

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, sambaDTR said:

In 1987/1988 when we were promoted we had a squad of 18, Trevor Senior came in March. (Pears, Poole; Cooper, Glover, Kernaghan, Laws, Mowbray, Mohan, Pallister, Parkinson; Burke, Gill, Hamilton, Kerr, Proudlock, Ripley; Slaven, Stephens)

When Leeds went up last year the following 17 played 17 games or more (Casilla; Ayling, Douglas, White, Cooper, Dallas, Berardi; Alioski, Costa, Hernandez, Harrison, Phillips, Klich, Shackleton; Bamford, Roberts, Nketiah).

Providing you have the quality and are lucky with injuries, you can get by with less than 20.

We have 15 regulars at the moment. (Pears, Stojanovic; Fry, Spence, Coulson,  Dijksteel, Hall; Saville, Tavernier, Howson, Wing, McNair, Johnson; Assombalonga, Fletcher). 

Great post, but the words in bold are where Boro will come unstuck if our 'plan' is to have a streamlined squad, especially in a truncated season with matches every few days.

27 minutes ago, sambaDTR said:

Any other season and with a few youngsters I would be ok with that. This season however we have 13 midweek league matches added to any cup matches so we need to bulk it out if possible. I would hope for another 5.

2 hours ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

QPR spending that Eze money with some intriguing signings there having a go it seems. Weather or not Warburton deliverys is another matter. 

I think qpr will struggle, lost there standout player, captain and top scorer. Pritty hard to replace all 3 at once. 

1 hour ago, sackrobson2 said:

I’d prefer they had a competitive game together before the league starts. They can get injured in any match, you can say don’t pick them in the first league game in case they get injured for the second game. 

Absolutely, players can get injured at any time, even in training, always play your strongest team. 

Just now, sambaDTR said:

in this day and age off football i think 2 players for most positions is the what most clubs strive for (24 players with young backing up), if you look at the current squad sizes this rings true, (Only 7 clubs have less than 24 players and 4 of those have 23 players).
you used the  example of leeds from last season, they actually had a squad size of 35 and in total they used 29 players last season. also the experience, average age and overall quality difference between that squad and ours is extensive. 
secondly, i agree, 20 players can be fine, but not in most situations, and definatly not in our position, we currently have a squad of 20, thats the joint lowest in the league and its made up young inexperience players. The argument for a small squad makes more sense for a team nearer the top end of the table with little fear of relegation, But i feel it is far riskier for a team that just spent a season fighting off relegation. For example, if a playoff side gets a few injuries and slips down the table they end up mid table, if a midtable side gets a few injuries and slips down the table its relegation. and it only takes a few injuries or players leaving to ruin a squad, Hull last season are a prime example of what losing 2 key players can do a squad. A final point on this is that the average number of injuries per season for a championship squad is 15.6 players, so with a 20 player squad theres a likelihood that 3/4 of our team will experience injury at some point.

Building on the injury point,there were points last season where 4/5 first teamers were out injured/suspended ( i know during these periods we actually had some of our best runs but i think that was woodgate lucking out more than anything), if this was to happen again with our current squad i think the situation would be far worse. This is because last seasons squad had some experience, however the current crop does not. it has 3 unproven goal keepers, which leaves 17 outfield players, 7 of those outfielders have less 30 games at championship level under there belt with most playing less than 20 (Spence 22, Coulson 29,Walker,Wood,Dkijsteel, Bola,Browne). This leaves us 10 players with experience at this level,  6 of these players are midfielders. there are also 9 players aged 22 or younger. A couple of injuries and we'd be down to the bare bones and even more heavily reliant on youth that we all ready are. 

in short, a small squad is well and good, but not for an inexperienced squad that barely survived relegation last season, im not saying youth cant work but relying heavily on it as our current squad is, is risky businesses after the season we just had.  

Edited by tmcc
  • Like 5
Just now, sambaDTR said:

n 1987/1988 when we were promoted we had a squad of 18, Trevor Senior came in March. (Pears, Poole; Cooper, Glover, Kernaghan, Laws, Mowbray, Mohan, Pallister, Parkinson; Burke, Gill, Hamilton, Kerr, Proudlock, Ripley; Slaven, Stephens)

sorry didnt reply to this part,

that was a great achievement no doubt, but it was in division 3 and 33 year ago, it was in a different era of football and therefore i dont think its to a good comparison to our current situation. 

• Like 1

No tmcc. This was in the 2nd Division. We were also promoted from the 3rd the year before. The point I am trying to make is that this big squad thing was brought in by Foreign Managers such as Tinkerman Ranieri. Most players prefer to play. The big squads force the teams to play second teams in the Cups to keep the squad happy.

5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Stojanovic must be *** in training, because I don't think he's been bad enough on the pitch to be replaced entirely.

Especially not after paying £1m for him 6 months ago.

Maybe we’re expecting Pears to leave so need competition for Stojanovic?

• Like 1

Some clubs like to rotate and others like to keep same basic group ...if I remember correctly, in season before last, both Man City and Liverpool only used 21 or 22 players during season....didn't seem to hurt them too much...obviously one or two of their players are slightly better than some of ours....but I do agree that teams play better when they are part of a settled team 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)