oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

30 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

good extended piece in the Echo, one thing that i missed yesterday was regarding the loan player we had to wait till the end of the month for. Warnock said this

When Warnock spoke to the press around a month ago he said the club’s top loan target wouldn’t become available until the end of August.

A few weeks later that deal is off the table and once again Boro have been forced to look at alternatives.

“The target I wanted, the main loan player that I wanted, I’ve now been told they want £3.5million and don’t want to loan him out,” admitted Warnock.

“I don’t think he’s worth £3.5million so we won’t be getting him.”

Though does sound refreshing that the club have a value for a player and don’t want to increase on that. Rather than the old Boro way of offering at least £500k more than the parent club valued their player at to guarantee we sign him 😅.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

I wonder if the loan player was Roberts. I’m sure someone said City want to sell this year. 
I’m pleased we’ve got Warnock, who knows the value of players and what he wants to spend. I’m sure some of this talk is playing to the fans and trying to keep us happy (not willing to pay £35k per weeks etc) but he doesn’t sound downcast and I’m buying into his confidence that we will get some players over the line. 
I’m excited to see how we play tonight - I’m predicting a few goals and everyone feeling happy again! 

1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/ben-gibson-burnley-norwich-city-18876580

Burnley end confirmation of Gibson's impending exit, apparently Norwich will pay a total of 8 million pounds if they get promotion.

So much for him not wanting to go to Norwich! 

I think he's got a better chance of going up with them than us but if they don't get promoted he'll be stuck in the same division as us and living 4 hours from home. 

I'm not sure that its a great move for him but if its Norwich or Burnley then he doesn't have much choice. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think that would be practical, would it?  What if the club sells the player for a lot less than they paid for him?  Say you sign a player for £50m and you sell him a year later for £10m for example.  The original deal sees you pay that fee over a set period of time but now you'd have to pay all of it off ahead of time?  From a business perspective that wouldn't make any sense at all.

Pretty standard practice to accelerate deferred fees if a contract is ended early. Don’t think The selling club would want to be in a position where we are trying to collect fees on a player the buyer doesn’t own anymore. 

little point trying to find logic in football contracts though, god knows what goes on in them. 

23 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/ben-gibson-burnley-norwich-city-18876580

Burnley end confirmation of Gibson's impending exit, apparently Norwich will pay a total of 8 million pounds if they get promotion.

Thankfully that ridiculous saga seems finished. I never believed the “boro or nothing” claim anyway as he was always leaving for a different club if boro couldn’t agree terms with boro. I also suspect Norwich will offer him a lot more than we ever could. Good move for Gibson. 

1 hour ago, Mr_Maz said:

good extended piece in the Echo, one thing that i missed yesterday was regarding the loan player we had to wait till the end of the month for. Warnock said this

When Warnock spoke to the press around a month ago he said the club’s top loan target wouldn’t become available until the end of August.

A few weeks later that deal is off the table and once again Boro have been forced to look at alternatives.

“The target I wanted, the main loan player that I wanted, I’ve now been told they want £3.5million and don’t want to loan him out,” admitted Warnock.

“I don’t think he’s worth £3.5million so we won’t be getting him.”

Wonder if that might be Roberts? Wasn't around 3m his supposed price?

8 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Thankfully that ridiculous saga seems finished. I never believed the “boro or nothing” claim anyway as he was always leaving for a different club if boro couldn’t agree terms with boro. I also suspect Norwich will offer him a lot more than we ever could. Good move for Gibson. 

I believe it was Boro or nothing for Ben for the longest time, or I don't think this would have dragged on so long. At the end of the day though I'm not surprised he'd change his mind if his choices were Norwich or another 12 months not playing.

4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I believe it was Boro or nothing for Ben for the longest time, or I don't think this would have dragged on so long. At the end of the day though I'm not surprised he'd change his mind if his choices were Norwich or another 12 months not playing.

Maybe it was, but it was never really a realistic thought, hence I always thought that he would be open to another club when reality set in.  There was no way he was going to sit in the stands for another year if someone offered him a way out. It's been a complete farce that we've had another club's player train here for more than half a year and in the end he joins a third club. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Borodane said:

Maybe it was, but it was never really a realistic thought, hence I always thought that he would be open to another club when reality set in.  There was no way he was going to sit in the stands for another year if someone offered him a way out. It's been a complete farce that we've had another club's player train here for more than half a year and in the end he joins a third club. 

Totally agree on that, but in our defence I think we were genuinely confident we would get something done. At the end of the day though money talks and if the rumoured figures Norwich are supposedly paying are true, no wonder we have declined to match, he'd eat up our entire budget!

1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

There is more to football than signing players, there always has been. What’s the point of appointing a manager if you don’t think he’s capable of coaching the players that you have and improving the team?

Is there really any point in spending big money on division 1 standard players whilst sending the players that you already have, out on loan to div 1 clubs?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t buy players, but I am saying, have a good look at the players we have, think about how they can be used and don’t panic buy players just to keep fans happy. 

Every transfer window it’s the same; fans screaming out for new signings,  then getting cross when they don’t happen and if they do, being ultimately disappointed by them, rinse and repeat. 

Very well said! 👏

Thats how it should be...and was how it used to be until whipping out the chequebook for instant success became the accepted method.

I wouldn't mind at all if we can turn the clock back in that regard.

That said, I think its going to take a heroic effort from Warnock and his coaching staff to get us in the upper echelons of the division.  I'll be more than happy with a comfortable mid-table finish this season, then hope we can do some rebuilding after that.

I've no doubt our current squad can be improved, but I still think we need to add some quality to get us ready for a promotion push, as I don't think we have enough strength in depth to cover for injuries.

Edited by AnglianRed
5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Totally agree on that, but in our defence I think we were genuinely confident we would get something done. At the end of the day though money talks and if the rumoured figures Norwich are supposedly paying are true, no wonder we have declined to match, he'd eat up our entire budget!

We were hoping that Gibson could force Burnleys hand and we could take advantage of that and get a cheap deal. Burnley didn't cave into the player power and we've been left with egg on our face. If this was Sunderland we'd be laughing our asses off. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Well said Brunners and this is exactly what I have been saying for ages it seems. He would have been the first to arrive and it would have been done weeks ago, lack of action clearly showed me that it was not going to happen even if it meant using every tiny bit of financial power to do so.

There are far more important areas to strengthen if possible than a gift wrapped Ben Gibson.

Don't get me wrong I would have been pleased to see him but not at all cost!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

We were hoping that Gibson could force Burnleys hand and we could take advantage of that and get a cheap deal. Burnley didn't cave into the player power and we've been left with egg on our face. If this was Sunderland we'd be laughing our asses off. 

If he wasn't Gibbo's nephew he'd hardly have been mentioned!

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)