oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

3 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

So who is this ‘big technically limited striker’ we’ve signed? Or are you wrong assuming that’s what kind of player Akpom is?

Look if you’re gonna try and be all cocky and ‘know it all’ at least read my post in full. Honestly I can’t stand *** idiots like you sometimes, arrogantly talking to people as if you have some kind of superior football knowledge. Get over yourself.

I'm not sure how Warnock will use Akpom but I must admit I never saw him as the big physical fulcrum of the attack. I think we are still waiting for that signing. Pacy, strong and direct seems to describe Akpom when I've watched the videos. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Since when has Tav's best position been left wing?

Since when has Fletcher been good at left wing?

Since when is Akpom 'a big technically limited forward'?

Where do people come up with this stuff?

All of this. There is no way Tavs best position is left wing or that fletcher is anything close to a winger. 

54 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

So if we don't re-sign the player who isn't good enough then we'll be left with the other two players who aren't good enough?  There isn't a voice somewhere saying "why don't we sign someone who is good enough then?".  We're wasting money on a player who isn't good enough, and doing that at the expense of actually fixing a problem area in the squad, which will still be a problem area in a year's time, when we still have the other problems to sort out as well, cos really we haven't sorted any of them so far.

I was referencing them not being good enough as left backs, as per the discussion previous. They're competent at wing back which was my point.

28 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

So who is this ‘big technically limited striker’ we’ve signed? Or are you wrong assuming that’s what kind of player Akpom is?

Look if you’re gonna try and be all cocky and ‘know it all’ at least read my post in full. Honestly I can’t stand *** posts like yours sometimes, arrogantly talking to people as if you have some kind of superior football knowledge. Get over yourself.

200.gif

11 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I was referencing them not being good enough as left backs, as per the discussion previous. They're competent at wing back which was my point.

But they are playing wingback now and don't appear to be competent so what are we basing this competence on?  Johnson has been terrible this season and let's be honest he wasn't good last season either.  Or the season before that.  Or the season before that one.  In fact, you couldn't really say he's been up to it at any point that he's been a Boro player (4th year and counting now, yay!).  Considering he's actually an attacker really, his attacking play as a wingback is dreadful, so unless we're saying that his strength is in his defending then let's all try and reach the point where we can accept that he isn't much good eh?

We need a left back, now, last year, next year, and forever, until we sign one.  The really stupid thing is that because we haven't signed one then we need to sign a central defender to play on that side while we are still playing a player at wingback who isn't good enough.  Just sign a left back and you can fix two problems at once, you don't need a left sided central defender and you don't play someone who isn't up to it at wingback.

He was given a new contract by Warnock on the basis of his performances towards the back end of last season. Between him and Coulson i think we're covered at left wing back. Bola is there as a third choice. Alongside Spence and Djikesteel on the right hand side, we have a compliment of wing backs that are capable of allowing us to play this formation. We don't have any full backs in the squad that are competent. We also don't have a glut of money to go out and buy the 3 or 4 full backs we'd need, to able to play a back 4 with any kind of conviction.

Maybe Spence, Djiksteel and Coulson develop their defensive capabilities over the course of the season, maybe they don't. At the minute I wouldn't fancy playing 4 at the back with the options we currently have.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I feel like I post this same post every few weeks.

Far too much gets made of formations from fans, 5 at the back doesn't have to be negative and neither does 1 up front. You can play 3 up front and still be defensively sound. 

Its all about having the right balance of players and the right attitude. Good teams don't have players stuck in rigid positions they are fluid and blend between formations throughout a game. 

We could play 343 and still be solid at the back. 

I think it's because people don't want to listen to a part-timer, glory supporter, mate.  I still read your posts anyway though, just to be nice 👍

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

But they are playing wingback now and don't appear to be competent so what are we basing this competence on?  Johnson has been terrible this season and let's be honest he wasn't good last season either.  Or the season before that.  Or the season before that one.  In fact, you couldn't really say he's been up to it at any point that he's been a Boro player (4th year and counting now, yay!).  Considering he's actually an attacker really, his attacking play as a wingback is dreadful, so unless we're saying that his strength is in his defending then let's all try and reach the point where we can accept that he isn't much good eh?

We need a left back, now, last year, next year, and forever, until we sign one.  The really stupid thing is that because we haven't signed one then we need to sign a central defender to play on that side while we are still playing a player at wingback who isn't good enough.  Just sign a left back and you can fix two problems at once, you don't need a left sided central defender and you don't play someone who isn't up to it at wingback.

Have to agree about Johnson, he’s just become a symbol of our sheer ineptitude to sign any kind of capable wide player. Friend, adomah, Nsue, Traore and Roberts are our only hits since Johnson left in 2010. We couldn’t even do it with premiership money, not only offering Johnson a new contract as the saviour of our left side but also celebrating him signing it was just the icing on the cake. 
Id rather just put Coulson there, at least he has potential not only to be better than Johnson but to get us a big transfer fee if he has a good season or 2.

2 minutes ago, Humpty said:

He was given a new contract by Warnock on the basis of his performances towards the back end of last season. Between him and Coulson i think we're covered at left wing back. Bola is there as a third choice. Alongside Spence and Djikesteel on the right hand side, we have a compliment of wing backs that are capable of allowing us to play this formation. We don't have any full backs in the squad that are competent. We also don't have a glut of money to go out and buy the 3 or 4 full backs we'd need, to able to play a back 4 with any kind of conviction.

Maybe Spence, Djiksteel and Coulson develop their defensive capabilities over the course of the season, maybe they don't. At the minute I wouldn't fancy playing 4 at the back with the options we currently have.

He wasn't very good towards the back of end of last season.  He's just carried on where he left off really, if you actually look at what he's been doing over that time.  We don't appear to have any competent wingbacks, their play hasn't tended to be good even in Warnocks 8 games last season, which is just another reason why continuing with this seems stupid.  I think the wingback role is quite a difficult one to play in some respects as you tend to have more responsibility.  Full back to me is easier because it's a more defined role and you usually have another player on the same side of the pitch as you to help out.

If Dijksteel can play on the right of three central defenders then he should be able to manage being a right back, especially when you consider that he is actually right back.  It would be weird if he could do one role but not the other.  So we wouldn't need to sign 3 or 4 full backs, just one left back would do for now, and assuming he was decent, he would still give you the flexibility to play whatever system you like, instead of being limited to one, as we appear to be now.

26 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Have to agree about Johnson, he’s just become a symbol of our sheer ineptitude to sign any kind of capable wide player. Friend, adomah, Nsue, Traore and Roberts are our only hits since Johnson left in 2010. We couldn’t even do it with premiership money, not only offering Johnson a new contract as the saviour of our left side but also celebrating him signing it was just the icing on the cake. 
Id rather just put Coulson there, at least he has potential not only to be better than Johnson but to get us a big transfer fee if he has a good season or 2.

Last season, when he was ok apparently, he managed 3 assists and a goal.  I think Fry managed 3 assists when he had that spell at right back under Pulis.  Howson managed 6 in each of the last two seasons, having been played all over the place, but at right back or wing back at times.  In the three years he's been here, he has 2 league goals and I think 4 assists, with another 2 goals and 3 assists in the League Cup.  And on the back of that, or the 8 games under Warnock last season where he got one assist, was responsible for us conceding a couple of goals and just didn't play well, he got himself a new contract.  This guy is here for a fourth season after being next to useless for the previous three but it's ok cos at least we don't have to go to the trouble of buying a decent player to play in his place 🙂

• Like 1