oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

17 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He wasn't very good towards the back of end of last season.  He's just carried on where he left off really, if you actually look at what he's been doing over that time.  We don't appear to have any competent wingbacks, their play hasn't tended to be good even in Warnocks 8 games last season, which is just another reason why continuing with this seems stupid.  I think the wingback role is quite a difficult one to play in some respects as you tend to have more responsibility.  Full back to me is easier because it's a more defined role and you usually have another player on the same side of the pitch as you to help out.

If Dijksteel can play on the right of three central defenders then he should be able to manage being a right back, especially when you consider that he is actually right back.  It would be weird if he could do one role but not the other.  So we wouldn't need to sign 3 or 4 full backs, just one left back would do for now, and assuming he was decent, he would still give you the flexibility to play whatever system you like, instead of being limited to one, as we appear to be now.

Lots of ifs, buts and maybe's in there for me unfortunately. 

The evidence shows us we've been pretty disastrous playing a back four with the personnel we have. We're still rebuilding and wing backs have produced good performances so far. I don't see any issue with persevering with this formation. It clearly suits the squad we have at our disposal. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Maccarone said:

Another dismal day of transfer rumours or lack of them.

We've signed 4 players now mate to be fair.  There's a point where you start to sound like a spoilt brat expecting more and more presents.  We'll sign a couple more between now and the end of the window, just need to be patient.

• Like 2

weve played two games against two of the best teams in the league, surely its abit early to write off the formation? lets see where we are 5 games in would be a better assesment.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Maccarone said:

Another dismal day of transfer rumours or lack of them.

"You can always get fringe players at the end of a window"

I get the sense a 4th striker on loan, perhaps a backup CB and wherever else he thinks we're weak are viewed by Warnock as fringe positions in the squad unfortunately.

On our wingbacks I think none of them are up to it, Spence has so much to work on to get even to be a top end Championship wingback in the next 2 years all that talk of a Prem move is so far off in my opinion. Johnson has no right holding that no.3 shirt, Andrew Taylor must be livid, and Coulson has fitness issues along with a big question mark on his end product and to top it off gets baited into tackles a little too easily for my liking.

Cardiff want 2 million for Cunningham even if Warnock wanted him we don't have the budget for that but on his day he is probably the best LWB in the league might be viewed as a try and loan him on deadline day if Cardiff get desperate maybe?

1 minute ago, Humpty said:

Lots of ifs, buts and maybe's in there for me unfortunately. 

The evidence shows us we've been pretty disastrous playing a back four with the personnel we have. We're still rebuilding and wing backs have produced good performances so far. I don't see any issue with persevering with this formation. It clearly suits the squad we have at our disposal. 

Just one if, and not a particularly big one, to suggest that a right back should be able to play at right back.  I wouldn't actually call it an if myself but you seemed to think that it is, so I was going along with it to be polite.

The evidence doesn't show that at all, I don't know why you would think that it does?  The wing backs haven't produced good performances so now I'm wondering if you've even seen us play recently?  I'd say even people who fervently believe we should play with wingbacks would say that they haven't played well.  In fact, there have been posts saying just that frequently on this thread and on the match day threads.  I'm not sure you'd find many praising their performances.  

• Haha 1
Just now, Changing Times said:

We've signed 4 players now mate to be fair.  There's a point where you start to sound like a spoilt brat expecting more and more presents.  We'll sign a couple more between now and the end of the window, just need to be patient.

i think its abit unfair to suggest that not being happy with 4 signings makes you a spoil brat, in most senarios id agree but not this for season. were desperatly thin on the ground, weve lost 11 players this summer/window for a squad that barely surived last season, we still have the smallest squad in the league and have a few areas that desperatly need back up, we have about 18 outfield players of which only 7/8 could be said to be experienced at this level, still have no creative player and in need of another centre back for sure. i feel that wanting/expecting more signings in this senario is a fair reaction to the current situation in which we find ourself. 

Just now, tmcc said:

i think its abit unfair to suggest that not being happy with 4 signings makes you a spoil brat, in most senarios id agree but not this for season. were desperatly thin on the ground, weve lost 11 players this summer/window for a squad that barely surived last season, we still have the smallest squad in the league and have a few areas that desperatly need back up, we have about 18 outfield players of which only 7/8 could be said to be experienced at this level, still have no creative player and in need of another centre back for sure. i feel that wanting/expecting more signings in this senario is a fair reaction to the current situation in which we find ourself. 

4 signings at the moment.  Of course we need more bringing in but coming on this thread every day and bemoaning the lack of transfer gossip or activity does seem a bit like a a spoilt brat, to me at least.  It was meant in a light-hearted way however!  We'll sign a few more before the window shuts, I'm sure of it 👍

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Last season, when he was ok apparently, he managed 3 assists and a goal.  I think Fry managed 3 assists when he had that spell at right back under Pulis.  Howson managed 6 in each of the last two seasons, having been played all over the place, but at right back or wing back at times.  In the three years he's been here, he has 2 league goals and I think 4 assists, with another 2 goals and 3 assists in the League Cup.  And on the back of that, or the 8 games under Warnock last season where he got one assist, was responsible for us conceding a couple of goals and just didn't play well, he got himself a new contract.  This guy is here for a fourth season after being next to useless for the previous three but it's ok cos at least we don't have to go to the trouble of buying a decent player to play in his place 🙂

Dijksteel was actually originally a CDM and I think it was Charlton that turned him into a RB. 

So IMO it's not like he's got a youth career of RB appearances to fall back on. He's played the position like...less than 2 seasons I think.

5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Dijksteel was actually originally a CDM and I think it was Charlton that turned him into a RB. 

So IMO it's not like he's got a youth career of RB appearances to fall back on. He's played the position like...less than 2 seasons I think.

How many seasons has he played as a central defender?

20 hours ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Birmingham have signed San Jose, how've they done that then 

San Jose follows Jonathan Leko, George Friend, Jon Toral Ivan Sanchez, Andres Prieto, Adam Clayton, Neil Etheridge and Scott Hogan in arriving at Blues this summer.

Reminiscent of our early years with Karanka and Orta.  You dont fully appreciate the signings of Stuani, Nugent, Ramirez and Forshaw during that promotion push until you compare with our incomings over the last 18 months.

Marvin Johnson was  a strange signing. It seemed we paid over the odds at the time and he wasnt the quality we needed. He was also one of the players named in the alleged lawsuit from the club against Monk.

Middlesbrough launched an investigation after receiving information that they may have paid over the odds to sign a number of players, including Ryan Shotton, Marvin Johnson, Ashley Fletcher and Cyrus Christie.

Monk, it has been alleged, failed to inform Middlesbrough of the valuations placed on them by their clubs and therefore allowed the club to pay inflated fees.

It has also been suggested that he ‘passed on confidential information to Featherstone, which enabled the agent to increase his commission’.

18 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

How many seasons has he played as a central defender?

Bielsa has played 2 defensively minded midfielders alongside a dominant central defender in a back three.  Some believe that the back three needs to contain two highly mobile defenders either side of a dominant in the air, yet capable of bringing the ball out type of defender... which highlights to me that it doesn't matter about formations most of the time, we just need good players.

Which kind of goes back to what Robson used to say about Liverpool, but that was decades ago, so does it still apply, do good players win matches/leagues, or good managers/systems?