oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker inĀ Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then šŸ˜‚).

Posted Images

Just now, Tobermory said:

98/99 Hamilton Ricard 15 goals

i mentioned ravenelli but i admit i forgot forgot ricard, but thats not really the point im trying to make,i did say i was focusing on the last 10 years in the championship as i can forgive us not having a 15 goal a season striker in the prem. so the point i was making is based off of the 10 years in the championship.

on the players you mentioned though, the fact that that we have back over 20 years (ricard and ravanelli and 25/30 years for slaven and Hendrie to find players who acheived this illistrates the point im trying to make.

Edited by tmcc
53 minutes ago, tmcc said:

i mentioned ravenelli but i admit i forgot forgot ricard, but thats not really the point im trying to make,i did say i was focusing on the last 10 years in the championship as i can forgive us not having a 15 goal a season striker in the prem. so the point i was making is based off of the 10 years in the championship.

on the players you mentioned though, the fact that that we have back over 20 years (ricard and ravanelli and 25/30 years for slaven and Hendrie to find players who acheived this illistrates the point im trying to make.

I agree entirely.Ā Ā 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tmcc said:

Not really sure what my goal is of posting these statistics, as were all aware how bad weve been with aquring strikers over the year, but even i didnt realise how bad it was until i sat down and crunched the numbers. For a club our size with our resources to have only had 3 players feature in the top 15 goal scorers in the league over 10 seasons is a damning indictment of our recruitment.

I read your post as frustration that even when Britt has been given 2 chances within the 6 yard box, with only the keeper to beat, he has needed a third or possibly fourth such chance to score. Hopefully we will get another striker in with a physical presence up top to give Warnock options. You cannot deny BrittsĀ workrate this season, but whilst he is supposedly our main man I have accepted we will not be in the mix for the play offs. People say we dont create enough, but if Roberts had set those chances up they would be saying he was just what we need. He isnā€™t, we need a striker that can put those chances away.

• Like 1

We finished 2nd and were promoted in one of these seasons. Leeds top scorer in the Championship last season was Bamford with 17. No other player managed double figures in league goals for them. WBA top scorer in the league got 10. Itā€™s nice to have a 20 goal striker but by no means a necessity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, CrazyL said:

We finished 2nd and were promoted in one of these seasons. Leeds top scorer in the Championship last season was Bamford with 17. No other player managed double figures in league goals for them. WBA top scorer in the league got 10. Itā€™s nice to have a 20 goal striker but by no means a necessity.

no doubt a solid defense can be enough to see you up, but i think teams getting promoted without a 15 goal+ player is an expection to the rule.Ā 
leeds and fulham both had 1 last season

Norwich sheffiedd and villa all a 20+ goal strikr season before
season before that both wolves and fulham did

16/17 newcastle and brighton

15/16 burnley and hull both had 20+ goal scorers.

14/15 season watford had 2 20+ socrers, bourneouth had 1 player 20 goals and norwich also a player with 18

13/14 leicester and burnley hadĀ  20+ striker and qpr had charlie austin with 17

12/13 Palace and watford had 20+

11/12 southampton and west ham 20+ striker

10/11 all three teams had players with 15 goals or more, norwich had 1 20 goal + striker

again not saying it not possible, but it seems as though at least about 75% of the time a promoted side had at least one player scoring 15 goals or more in a season.

Ā 

Edited by tmcc
28 minutes ago, tmcc said:

no doubt a solid defense can be enough to see you up, but i think teams getting promoted without a 15 goal+ player is an expection to the rule.Ā 
leeds and fulham both had 1 last season

Norwich sheffiedd and villa all a 20+ goal strikr season before
season before that both wolves and fulham did

16/17 newcastle and brighton

15/16 burnley and hull both had 20+ goal scorers.

again not saying it not possibly, but it seems as though at least about 75% of the time a promoted side had at least one player scoring 15 goals or more in a season.

Ā 

But what percentage of players scoring 15 or more, or 20 or more get promoted each year?

But what percentage of players scoring 15 or more, or 20 or more get promoted each year?

lol i cant be bothered to work that out, but i dont think it matters all that much, i think the fact that only 25% of promoted teams have done so without a 15+ goal a season striker is the important stat for what iv prestented.

3 minutes ago, tmcc said:

lol i cant be bothered to work that out, but i dont think it matters all that much, i think the fact that only 25% of promoted teams have done so without a 15+ goal a season striker is the important stat for what iv prestented.

12 players scored 15 or more last season. 2 got promoted.Ā  That's 17%.

It isn't just about having a striker that puts away chances.

It's about the team.Ā  The AK Championship years showed us that.

yes but 75% of promoted sides had a 15 goal a season striker, suggesting that if you dont have that your chances of going up are dramtically less. im not saying that it gurantees you promotion, but without a 15 goal a season striker your chances or going up are dramatically less than if you have one.

Also another stat, 19 teams of the 30 promoted over the last 10 years had a 20+ goal a season striker, there were 40 players who scored 20 goals or more in season in this period, so if you have a player with score 20 goals or more in your squad you effecitvly have 50% percentage of promotion.

also of thosse 11 players (not 12) with 15 goals or more,Ā  8 played for sides that made the playoffs or got promoted. the other 3 were karlam grant at hudds, jarrod bowen who left hull in janruary, hul were in the playoffs at the time and ended up getting relegated after selling him (again higlighting the power of a good striker) and the final was adam armstrongĀ  who finished 12th.Ā 
take away points :

out of the top 6 sides, only 1 side WBA didnt have a 15+ a season goal scorer,

only 2 sides that finished in the bottom half had 15+ a season goalscorer, Hull (who were in playoffs till bowen left) and hudds

if you want to be competative/top half, a 15 goals+ a season is a good indicator that you will acheive this based off last seasons stats.
Ā 

On strikers. Our problem has not necessarilyĀ been strikers - weā€™ve had lots of class strikers over the time period mentioned, from Yakubu,Ā Hasslebaink, Viduka, Boksic to poachers with good record like Rhodes, Boyd and Britt. The issue has been - andĀ continuesĀ to be - creating good chances. How many class attacking midfielders have we had in the past decade? Look how the correlate with our goals scored. With Rav we had Juninho, with Ricard weĀ had Gazza (almost got an England recall), and with Bamford we had Tomlin/Ramirez.Ā Ā Most of the time we have not had a true attacking midfielder - maybe excluding Zenden (who was class but didnā€™t contribute as many goals/assists as I thought).Ā 
Ā 

We desperately need to take a chance on an attacking player who actually creates chances, can dribble and takes men out of the game. They are rare and cost money, but itā€™s better to have one that raises the value of the players around you - rather than keep buying expensive strikers and selling them for a massive loss when they suddenly (and apparently surprisingly) stop scoring when they get few chances.

Edited by BegSteeleOrBoro
  • Like 2
39 minutes ago, tmcc said:

Also of those 11 players (not 12) with 15 goals or more,Ā  8 played for sides that made the playoffs or got promoted. the other 3 were KarlanĀ Grant at Hudds, Jarrod Bowen who left hull in January, Hull were in the playoffs at the time and ended up getting relegated after selling him (again highlighting the power of a good striker) and the final was Adam ArmstrongĀ  who finished 12th.Ā 
take away points :

out of the top 6 sides, only 1 side WBA didn't have a 15+ a season goal scorer,

only 2 sides that finished in the bottom half had 15+ a season goalscorer, Hull (who were in playoffs till bowen left) and Hudds

if you want to be competitive/top half, a 15 goals+ a season is a good indicator that you will acheive this based off last seasons stats.
Ā 

Wiki says 12.

Of those 12, 3 played for Brentford, who didn't get promoted.

I agree it helps, but having 1 decent striker does not a promotion team make.