Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (Akpom signs)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I am sure Warnock will be delighted to lose one of his top targets, just so we can move on which to be fair as a club we can do any time

He may be one if his top targets but i like many on here have massive reservations on the guy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, at least it gives us another fifteen years of "he's coming back" rumours...but if talk about Brynn is true, they seemed a lot more eager to tie him up than Aynsley, so he probably saw the writing on the wall...still a decent keeper for his age, but his stature will always make it that little bit harder for him.....good luck to the lad though, if he gets anywhere near his dad's standard, he will be OK

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

We have the 1 year extension on his old contract we'd be mad not to exercise it to get a fee for him .

How do these extensions work? Can we just activate it regardless. I would’ve thought that the player would also  have to agree to it. If that’s the case I’d imagine the player would reject it to increase his wages/signing on fee at a new club. 
But I honestly don’t know 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Uwe said:

How do these extensions work? Can we just activate it regardless. I would’ve thought that the player would also  have to agree to it. If that’s the case I’d imagine the player would reject it to increase his wages/signing on fee at a new club. 
But I honestly don’t know 🤷‍♂️

depends if it's a club or player option I think. For example, Howson triggered his extension, I'm not sure how much we could have done about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Pears is off to Blackburn. 
 

Explains why we’re after a keeper

I'm amazed by that. I thought he looked decent enough for his age. Is it a last year of contract thing? Nominal fee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be very disappointed if we are just losing Pears for nowt. Obviously his contract coming to an end and us not being able to agree new terms with him at a time when other young players were agreeing them makes me think he's asking for assurances on playing time or something. And could we offer that? Probably not.

Still, Pears was not a bad keeper. In fact, with the right coaching he could have developed into a really good keeper for us. But such is the nature of Steve Gibson's mentality of requiring promotion through any means necessary. The idea that we'd develop our good young players before just signing ones better than them right now on daft wages we can't get rid of is very alien to him. Those new contracts for Coulson, Spence, Tav, he'd throw those lads into the reserves if it meant Warnock could sign a player better than them right now on stupid wages that we can't get rid of for the next 3 or 4 years.

The Middlesbrough cash cow is open for business again and all thoughts of a 'Golden Thread' are gone until we're skint and literally can't operate any other way again, at least by then we'll all know what Jonathan Woodgate is still doing at the club.

All I can say to it is if Warnock doesn't get us promoted this season and sods off again, we're ***. These risks we're taking that losing good young players is worth it for, they better pay off. I know I'll be looking at this season with promotion as an expectation, not just improvement on where we were last year. If it isn't the expectation then what the sodding hell is Warnock even here for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Uwe said:

How do these extensions work? Can we just activate it regardless. I would’ve thought that the player would also  have to agree to it. If that’s the case I’d imagine the player would reject it to increase his wages/signing on fee at a new club. 
But I honestly don’t know 🤷‍♂️

That's true it could be a 2 way thing I just always assumed because it's his turning pro contract the option/power would lie with us on it. If it's not that then yeah good luck to him his wage must have been a joke and we probably didn't want to punish him financially by extending just to keep him, if no offers came in or even if we sent him out on loan the lads probably on a grand a week at best on that contract he deserves better.

Maybe treating him right is the priority not the clubs coffers and Mogga's probably offering to quadruple his wage with the prospect of being a starting GK in the Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

That's true it could be a 2 way thing I just always assumed because it's his turning pro contract the option/power would lie with us on it. If it's not that then yeah good luck to him his wage must have been a joke and we probably didn't want to punish him financially by extending just to keep him, if no offers came in or even if we sent him out on loan the lads probably on a grand a week at best on that contract he deserves better.

Maybe treating him right is the priority not the clubs coffers and Mogga's probably offering to quadruple his wage with the prospect of being a starting GK in the Championship.

Maybe mogga will give us Armstrong and Dack in exchange? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The Middlesbrough cash cow is open for business again and all thoughts of a 'Golden Thread' are gone until we're skint and literally can't operate any other way again, at least by then we'll all know what Jonathan Woodgate is still doing at the club.

All I can say to it is if Warnock doesn't get us promoted this season and sods off again, we're ***. These risks we're taking that losing good young players is worth it for, they better pay off. I know I'll be looking at this season with promotion as an expectation, not just improvement on where we were last year. If it isn't the expectation then what the sodding hell is Warnock even here for.

Yeah the long term vision has gone out of the window again. 

The only thing I might not agree with you on is Pears, I'm not sure he's good enough for this level and if we've got someone better coming through then it makes sense to let him move on. 

Time will tell whether its a good decision or not though.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'll be very disappointed if we are just losing Pears for nowt. Obviously his contract coming to an end and us not being able to agree new terms with him at a time when other young players were agreeing them makes me think he's asking for assurances on playing time or something. And could we offer that? Probably not.

Still, Pears was not a bad keeper. In fact, with the right coaching he could have developed into a really good keeper for us. But such is the nature of Steve Gibson's mentality of requiring promotion through any means necessary. The idea that we'd develop our good young players before just signing ones better than them right now on daft wages we can't get rid of is very alien to him. Those new contracts for Coulson, Spence, Tav, he'd throw those lads into the reserves if it meant Warnock could sign a player better than them right now on stupid wages that we can't get rid of for the next 3 or 4 years.

The Middlesbrough cash cow is open for business again and all thoughts of a 'Golden Thread' are gone until we're skint and literally can't operate any other way again, at least by then we'll all know what Jonathan Woodgate is still doing at the club.

All I can say to it is if Warnock doesn't get us promoted this season and sods off again, we're ***. These risks we're taking that losing good young players is worth it for, they better pay off. I know I'll be looking at this season with promotion as an expectation, not just improvement on where we were last year. If it isn't the expectation then what the sodding hell is Warnock even here for.

I don't think Gibson is as hands-on with who gets a first team shirt and who sits in the reserves as you're making out, barring the occasional foray into Teesside nepotism. I'm also not seeing concrete evidence that the 'cash cow' is open for business, when all we've done so far is sign one free transfer.

Seems a bit unfair to suggest Warnock would automatically cast aside young players so he can waste money giving overpaid cloggers four-year deals. Just because we've been spuriously linked with Joe Hart doesn't mean he'll end up signing for us.

You've alluded to a genuine reason why Pears might want to leave - the prospect of more game time under Mogga - and all the coaching in the world isn't going to persuade him to sit around waiting for his chance. Not every keeper is happy to be in the shadows like Meijas, in the same way not every local player wants to spend their career here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume we must be getting a fee for Pears. It’s just some more shocking business by the club if he’s going for nowt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

he is definitely out of contract this summer, unless we have already took the option

If he was out of contract wouldnt he have been gone by now like the other out of contract players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rate Pears higher than Stoj personally... Will be disappointed to see him leave. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snowblind said:

I rate Pears higher than Stoj personally... Will be disappointed to see him leave. 

Why? Genuinely interested because, personally, I think Stoj is much the better keeper.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pears isn't a terrible Keeper but nor is he a great Keeper. I haven't seen anything from him that makes him stand out, the lad is OK and will have a future in the game but so did Jason Steele and I would perhaps rate him only slightly better than Steele (but not by much).

Its an emotional shame if he leaves, but only if he then becomes a top class Keeper and we all kick ourselves five years on from now when he becomes England's number one. There are plenty of better Keepers in the Championship already and therein lies the dilemma. If we want to improve and move up the table then we need better than what we already have without any emotions coming into it. Improving on our goalkeeping department has to be a no brainer.

With regards to Joe Hart, no thanks! Over hyped even during his purple patch (or should that be dandruff patch?) and no doubt over paid as well. His reliability between the sticks is inconsistent and as the years have progressed he doesn't seem to have improved with age in a Dimi kind of way which decent Keepers usually do. He will no doubt cost us too much in wages, likely to split the fan base and if he does come in on a big wage then the dressing room will be split before we even kick a ball. He done very well in getting and surviving in his time at City but since then he has flattered to deceive and seems to have declined. At 33 years old he should be in his prime years as a Keeper, that he isn't begs a very big question. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • I absolutely did, like I said I was made to feel very welcome and I think we're an asset to utilise. 😊
    • 1. 1-1 2. Same as the Bournemouth, injury dependant.  3. Yes he'll make his debut, if Fletcher is injured I think he'll start. No hat-tricks in this game. 4. Leo will go full Graeme Souness and plant a Boro flag in the centre circle. 5. Power Rangers surely?
    • When - Saturday 26th September, 2020, KO 15:00 Where - The Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium Why - Because it's time for football, duh! So, this bizarre season continues with a trip to QPR, and a ground where we've had very mixed fortunes over the years. Last season we drew 2-2, back when the world was normal. Well as normal as it can be when you have a Wotsit in the White House and Wurzel Gummidge in Number 10, that is. Our Lord and Saviour Neil of Warnock will still be self isolating with Covid-19 for this, so expect to see monseuirs Jepson and Blackwell in the dugout. No idea where Leo is. If anyone has seen him, please return to The Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough, England, TS3 6RS. Talking points: Score Predictions? Lineup? Will Chuba Akpom make his debut, scoring his first of many hat-tricks for the club? Will Leo appear out of nowhere mid-match, storm onto the pitch and headbutt the ref? Who are the better Rangers? Queen's Park? US Army? Hermione (G)Ranger? Oh and just because it will never not be funny:    
    • Regarding Walker - a long long way from making the grade. If he can do it at this level is more than debatable 
    • Exactly and annoyingly it's most likely that the PL clubs will be affected the least.
×
×
  • Create New...