oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Stojanovic looks a nervous wreck anytime he has a decision to make about coming off his line to sweep up through balls. He seems to really panic and guess on the close calls. He has shown a lot of good sides to his game but that weakness is a huge concern. He’s a red card waiting to happen. Also, as others have mentioned, he flaps at the ball a bit. For a goalkeeper of his size, he should be absolutely dominating crosses into his box.

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Stojanovic looks a nervous wreck anytime he has a decision to make about coming off his line to sweep up through balls. He seems to really panic and guess on the close calls. He has shown a lot of good sides to his game but that weakness is a huge concern. He’s a red card waiting to happen. Also, as others have mentioned, he flaps at the ball a bit. For a goalkeeper of his size, he should be absolutely dominating crosses into his box.

When we were linked with Stojanovic his you Tube videos were full of him punching crosses clear rather than catching them. Based on that I'm petty sure we knew what we were getting especially as Leo and Coyne would (I hope) have had an input.

Maybe it was felt that in time his height and dominance in the air could be converted to catching rather than punching clear or maybe it was felt that punching was a great way to quickly turn defence into attack and catch teams on the break with our fast, slick and pacy inter play aka the Golden Thread?

He has played less than ten games with a defence in front of him that was patched up and that is being kind to it. Dimi set a club record for clean sheets but hand on heart does anyone on here believe that Dimi was Boro's greatest ever Keeper? Dimi done very well but having a solid midfield and a strong defence in front of him helped immensely. Arguably Pears didn't have a great set up in front either but he inherited the same set up as Randolph had in front of him for a lot of games and failed to nail down the shirt.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

But Pears, now 22, never signed the new deal and is now moving into the last 12 months of his existing deal making him an attractive and affordable option for Rovers.

Can only assume this means his extra year was triggered and never mentioned anywhere.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Why? Genuinely interested because, personally, I think Stoj is much the better keeper.

Not saying there's much in it, but I think Pears positions himself better and has a little more command when balls come into the box - he's not amazing on crosses himself, but I trust him more than Stoj.

Stoj is undoubtedly the better shot stopper, but he doesn't instill any confidence in me. Still early days for him, but an upgrade keeper on either would be very beneficial. 

3 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Pears to blackburn now being linked in the Gazette 

They are running with the "last 12 months of his contract" line so there may be a few thousand in it for us. One positive is Boro seem to be sticking with the policy  of getting rid of players who don't sign new contracts. Next Britt ??

23 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

When we were linked with Stojanovic his you Tube videos were full of him punching crosses clear rather than catching them. Based on that I'm petty sure we knew what we were getting especially as Leo and Coyne would (I hope) have had an input.

Maybe it was felt that in time his height and dominance in the air could be converted to catching rather than punching clear or maybe it was felt that punching was a great way to quickly turn defence into attack and catch teams on the break with our fast, slick and pacy inter play aka the Golden Thread?

He has played less than ten games with a defence in front of him that was patched up and that is being kind to it. Dimi set a club record for clean sheets but hand on heart does anyone on here believe that Dimi was Boro's greatest ever Keeper? Dimi done very well but having a solid midfield and a strong defence in front of him helped immensely. Arguably Pears didn't have a great set up in front either but he inherited the same set up as Randolph had in front of him for a lot of games and failed to nail down the shirt.

Although Dimi wasn't the best I do think he's probably the best we have had or up there with Crossley for set pieces and crosses and controlling his area. He always seemed to claim everything he went for. On the shotstopping front he will be pretty low down the list. It would be interesting to see if there was a stat on how many goals we have conceded from set pieces over the past few years. 

45 minutes ago, FamilyBoro said:

Because we were nearly relegated last season and spent more time looking down the table than up. Warnock is here to steady that, balance the team, offer experience and get us moving into the right half of the table. Promotion is always the vision but doesn't mean a season is unsuccessful if it doesn't happen to certain teams.. it has to be relative to the position a team finds themselves in and a cert promotion candidate we are not..... yet. 

I've no reason to think that last season was anything other than a blip caused by us being backed into the corner of needing to appoint the cheapest manager available. The squad certainly wasn't a bottom of the table squad, it was just managed by a bloke who didn't have a clue what he was doing. There's little reason to suggest that with a manager who has a clue how to get something out of his players, this team should be back in that region of the table.

• Like 1

Now it's popped up from the Rovers side:

"Any such deal for Pears would depend on price, however, and is one of the main reasons why any such pursuit in Charlton goalkeeper Dillon Phillips has hit a snag. Charlton are believed to be holding out for a fee of over £1million, a figure that Rovers are unwilling to match."

I wouldn't be paying over a million for a goalkeeper with our budget either so I'd rule us out of Phillips, if Bass would cost us 500k and give or take be what we sell Pears for it'd make alot of sense I guess.

We should be able to get 500k for Pears surely he has a good few clean sheets at this level under his belt and at his age could be a snip for Blackburn.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)