oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Well it wouldn't be the first time a footballer was swayed by the money and promise from a likable manager. I don't doubt those saying that Gibson really wants to leave Burnley and come home, but there is no way we should even consider paying him 40k, and if Norwich tells him he can keep his massive wages there and they want to build their defence around him then he might have some thinking to do - and I wouldn't blame him. Especially if Burnley dig their heels in too. Bigger chance of Norwich promotion than us.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, TAPOUT said:

I read that Burnley were interested in a Notts Forest centre back but it was dependant on Gibson leaving. Possibly rules out potential swap with Fry. 

Joe Worrall's priced at 10 million but Sheff U also want him talk at Burnley is they need a new CB and him and Fry are the 2 they rate the most. If they think Gibson and 5 million for Fry works better for their tight budget than paying the money for Worrall problem then becomes even if Gibson takes a 33% wage cut he's on eye watering money for a CB at our level and the 5 million fee we'd get would be ate up by his contract anyway so it would end up essentially being a swap Gibson until his early 30s for Dael Fry.

7 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/18640521.norwich-rivalling-middlesbrough-ben-gibson-deal/

He's on 45k a week we're only offering 15k at most so Norwich will simply put up 30k wages and get him by being the biggest payer seems more than a reasonable state of play to be honest, also claim we are actually in talks with Cardiff, I think a national made a similar claim, about signing Hoilett clearly it's beyond interest.

Goode instead of Gibson makes sense but only if Northampton climb down from a million, Echo are a little sketchy at the minute though they were adamant about Jordan Jones and Gibson being prime targets while the Gazette have poured cold water on Gibson because of the finances all month and outside of the Echo and Scotland no ones mentioned us and Jones.

Except he doesn't want to go? He wants to come back to Boro and only Boro.

5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Well it wouldn't be the first time a footballer was swayed by the money and promise from a likable manager. I don't doubt those saying that Gibson really wants to leave Burnley and come home, but there is no way we should even consider paying him 40k, and if Norwich tells him he can keep his massive wages there and they want to build their defence around him then he might have some thinking to do - and I wouldn't blame him. Especially if Burnley dig their heels in too. Bigger chance of Norwich promotion than us.

They’d be absolutely stupid to do that. Nobody in their right mind would make him their highest earner and promise to build their defence around somebody who has played almost no minutes in the last 2 years. 

Also I can’t imagine Norwich will be waiting around if they feel Gibbo isn’t convinced on the move. I’ve already heard them linked with numerous defenders: Mawson, Ampadu etc. 

9 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Except he doesn't want to go? He wants to come back to Boro and only Boro.

"The Canaries are understood to have discussed both a permanent and loan move for Gibson, and are ready to meet Burnley’s demands in order to push through a deal in the next couple of weeks.

Ideally, Gibson would like to return to his native Teesside, having enjoyed being back in the North-East in the last few months. Neil Warnock has discussed the defender’s position with the rest of Boro’s recruitment team, and is happy to agree to a loan deal if it can be arranged.

However, there is a growing acceptance that Gibson is likely to be heading elsewhere this summer, with Carrow Road now firmly established as his likeliest destination. "

No doubt we'd be his first choice but Norwich are telling Burnley they'll BUY him seems inevitable that he'll end up there they're willing to take on a bigger financial burden they might have 30 million coming in from selling Godfrey alone and Burnley are really tight they'll see Norwich as having the funds to pay them back maybe even half of what they paid if it's a loan to buy they agree beteeen them, we can't compete with that we're haggling for Northamptons captain trying to avoid paying 7 figures it's just one of those things.

I think a lot hinges on whats going on inside Gibson's mind. If he is homesick and wants to be on or as close to Teesside as possible then the Norwich commute is about as far as you can get in terms of time plus its a real pain of a journey. He can get across to and from Burnley in the time it would take to get to Norwich and still have time out for a Parmo up Linthorpe Road and a Lemon Top on Redcar Seafront.

On the other hand if it is just solely a clash with Dyche the Destroyer then he may be open to going anywhere to get his career back on track. If he was sold to Norwich for a fee I wonder if that would then alter the remaining payment structure on what they owe Boro for him? 

4 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-middlesbrough-table-defender-offer-in-race-with-nottingham-forest-birmingham-swansea/

Seems like the end of the road for George? We all knew our offer to him wasn't great seems like he has alot of interest including from Karanka!

Think it will depend upon how he and is family are settled in the area plus how much we have actually offered him versus how much the others are able and willing to offer him and uproot his family. A South Coast move may be more tempting to him.

5 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

No doubt we'd be his first choice but Norwich are telling Burnley they'll BUY him seems inevitable that he'll end up there they're willing to take on a bigger financial burden they might have 30 million coming in from selling Godfrey alone and Burnley are really tight they'll see Norwich as having the funds to pay them back maybe even half of what they paid if it's a loan to buy they agree beteeen them, we can't compete with that we're haggling for Northamptons captain trying to avoid paying 7 figures it's just one of those things.

I just don't think right now that the money involved makes a difference, if we're to believe it doesn't matter to Gibson as so many seem to be alluding to. That's why I think it comes down to Norwich's patience more than anything. I also think Gibson is less likely to accept a permanent deal elsewhere as it only complicates matters getting him back to where he wants to be. I've no idea why you think Norwich being willing to buy him is in any way making this situation looking better for them.

Of course they can outbid us, I've little doubt that there will be numerous clubs who, in the right financial position, would be willing to take him on. Bournemouth, for example, will be looking for an Ake replacement. Watford coming down having previously held an interest, I suspect they probably still do have an interest in him if they still need a defender. Norwich are just another club with money to spend that might want him.

Right now, it's just not the determining factor who has money to spend to anyone but Burnley. But the player doesn't go anywhere without agreeing to the terms himself, Burnley can't just sell to whoever they want without his approval.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I just don't think right now that the money involved makes a difference, if we're to believe it doesn't matter to Gibson as so many seem to be alluding to. That's why I think it comes down to Norwich's patience more than anything. I also think Gibson is less likely to accept a permanent deal elsewhere as it only complicates matters getting him back to where he wants to be. I've no idea why you think Norwich being willing to buy him is in any way making this situation looking better for them.

Of course they can outbid us, I've little doubt that there will be numerous clubs who, in the right financial position, would be willing to take him on. Bournemouth, for example, will be looking for an Ake replacement. Watford coming down having previously held an interest, I suspect they probably still do have an interest in him if they still need a defender. Norwich are just another club with money to spend that might want him.

Right now, it's just not the determining factor who has money to spend to anyone but Burnley. But the player doesn't go anywhere without agreeing to the terms himself, Burnley can't just sell to whoever they want without his approval.

Gibson's a 15 million pound asset at a football club ran on very little funds people said we had the leverage when no one else wanted him there's now a white knight club with a bigger budget than us talking to Burnley about potentially not just taking on 66% of the wage burden but recouping their losses to a degree we just can't do.

It was Dyche denying Gibson a Watford loan in January that broke the relationship I think as a professional footballer he'll be more than willing to speak to Norwich I don't see this scenario where Burnley have no say in the matter it's all about finances from Burnley's perspective and Gibson's priority is get the eff out of Burnley ASAP any other motivations are irrelevant if one interested party has such a financial edge than the other that's usually the 1 that wins out.

5 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Gibson's a 15 million pound asset at a football club ran on very little funds people said we had the leverage when no one else wanted him there's now a white knight club with a bigger budget than us talking to Burnley about potentially not just taking on 66% of the wage burden but recouping their losses to a degree we just can't do.

It was Dyche denying Gibson a Watford loan in January that broke the relationship I think as a professional footballer he'll be more than willing to speak to Norwich I don't see this scenario where Burnley have no say in the matter it's all about finances from Burnley's perspective and Gibson's priority is get the eff out of Burnley ASAP any other motivations are irrelevant if one interested party has such a financial edge than the other that's usually the 1 that wins out.

It was broken long before January.

If Norwich offer £5m on a perm it will be the same as us saying keep the last payment, if their offer is more and Burnley won't sanction any other deal Gibson has to decide, does he ask Norwich to match his wages, expecting them to drop out, does he go or only agree to a Loan move. But ultimately the decision is Gibsons and whatever went on between him and Dyche.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:42 PM, BoroLad2020 said:

Right it’s about time I came back Let’s sort this boring conversation out  😅

GK - Brad Young - Prem sides interested including Chelsea

GK - Dillon Phillips - Cardiff, Derby and Huddersfield interested

GK -  Neil Etheridge - Blackburn interested

GK - Alex Bass - Palace also interested

RB - Lee Peltier

LB - Tyler Blackett

CAM - Luke Freeman (loan) -  Forrest also interested

LM - Jacques Maghoma - Blackburn interested

ST - Josh Windass - Sheffield Wednesday Interested

Other News :

Marvin Johnson 2 Year extension 

George Friend 1 Year extension

Outgoings :

Paddy McNair - Stoke and Celtic

George Saville - Stoke

Britt Assombalonga 

Lewis Wing

and I’ll just leave some names here :

Jordan Jones available for under 1M

Richie Smallwood

Jordan Obita 

And the player I really want us to sign Joe Williams! 

Set up a 433 next season

New Keeper

Spence

Hill

Fry or Gibson depends if fry leaves

New LB

Williams 

Freeman 

Howson 

Tav

fletcher or windass

New LW

.. maybe get a right back play spence forward also have Coulson Johnson and Browne for the LW spot 

Cough cough

• Confused 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)