oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Just now, Jamie-H said:

I mean the moment that sent him AWOL and got him cut from the senior squad completely.

I thought he was training with us before January? That's why we all expected it to happen then.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Will said:

I thought he was training with us before January? That's why we all expected it to happen then.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11932316/ben-gibson-burnley-defender-back-training-with-middlesbrough

There was rumours he did some pre season stuff last summer at Rockliffe but Dyche and him just seems to have completely disintegrated after he refused to let him join Watford for what turned out to be petulant reasons to do with not strengthening a rival can't blame Gibson either Dyche knew Gibson would either blow up or wouldn't get a sniff at Burnley anyway yet still blocked the Watford move.

9 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Gibson's a 15 million pound asset at a football club ran on very little funds people said we had the leverage when no one else wanted him there's now a white knight club with a bigger budget than us talking to Burnley about potentially not just taking on 66% of the wage burden but recouping their losses to a degree we just can't do.

It was Dyche denying Gibson a Watford loan in January that broke the relationship I think as a professional footballer he'll be more than willing to speak to Norwich I don't see this scenario where Burnley have no say in the matter it's all about finances from Burnley's perspective and Gibson's priority is get the eff out of Burnley ASAP any other motivations are irrelevant if one interested party has such a financial edge than the other that's usually the 1 that wins out.

You're usually well-reasoned in your approach Jamie, I think you're ignoring a lot of the background to this one though. Every man and his dog seems to know that Gibson wants to come back to Boro and only Boro. No other interested parties have a chance or will probably even want a chance at signing a player who doesn't want to be at their club, the same way Gibson is showing right now he doesn't want to be at Burnley.

I'm not convinced he'll be a Boro player at the end of this window but I am convinced that Steve Gibson will do everything in his power to work him a way out, I don't think Ben is going to back down on his demands any time soon so whoever else out there wants him is going to have to take it to the last days of the window or wait until we stop being interested. Do you think Norwich will wait that long for a player who clearly doesn't want to play for them?

Either way, there's no chance in my eyes that Gibson moves soon. Burnley aren't going to want to sell or loan for peanuts, Gibson isn't going to want to move anywhere but Boro and this game of chicken is going to go on and on until someone folds and it's rare battles like this are resolved quickly in the transfer window.

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Either way, there's no chance in my eyes that Gibson moves soon. Burnley aren't going to want to sell or loan for peanuts, Gibson isn't going to want to move anywhere but Boro and this game of chicken is going to go on and on until someone folds and it's rare battles like this are resolved quickly in the transfer window.

I hope you're wrong on it dragging out I think he needs a proper pre season whether it's us or Norwich, I just think unless it involves a Fry transfer Burnley wont deal with us and if Norwich put up most his wages with a 7.5 million buy option it takes them pretty far down the line I don't think they'd be negotiating if Gibsons agent hadn't given them some encouragement from the get go.

Outside of Burnley offering Gibson in a makeweight deal for Fry I don't see him coming back and that scenario is firmly out of our control while Norwich seem very eager to commit financially as soon as possible to bring Gibson to Norfolk if there's persuading to be done it's still in Norwich's control.

I was watching soccer box on sky other day with Michael Owen. I think that is what its called. Gary Neville is like a host of it.

Anyway. He asked Owen about leaving Real and he goes I was desperate to go Liverpool. Only club he wanted to return to and he told Real that. Summer comes and Real tell him Newcastle are offering 16m for him and LFC cant afford to go past 10m. So Real told him its either Newcastle or you stay here.

I am wondering if Burnley might do something similar with Gibson. They are fully aware he wants to come to Boro but only Norwich are meeting they demands. So for Gibson it could be either Norwich or stay at Burnley??

• Like 1
19 hours ago, tmcc said:

so if it wasnt for the release clause, do you think the fee for moore would be 1.8 million still?  surely he would command more and wigan would ask for more, i base this argument of the fact that wigan paid 3 million for him in the first place. 
 based on the fact that wigan paid 3 mil, i said his real value may be closer to 4-5 mil which i think wouldnt be an outlandish price to pay for a 10 goal a season striker, he also had 5 assists, so he played 36 games ( not a full season) so hes scoring or assisting pretty much every other game.  
i just dont think your getting  striker like that for less than 3-4 million these days. 

Sorry mate, I haven't been online since yesterday, not ignoring you.

I don't know what the fee would be but if it was much higher than the fee is now then I don't believe there would be a queue of teams supposedly interested in him (that's if there really is a queue to begin with).  I wouldn't pay much for him myself but that doesn't mean other people wouldn't of course.  I can see why Cardiff are interested because Neil Harris is very much in the mould of Warnock in some respects.  I suppose to answer the last point you make, I'd say that I don't want a striker like that.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Sorry mate, I haven't been online since yesterday, not ignoring you.

I don't know what the fee would be but if it was much higher than the fee is now then I don't believe there would be a queue of teams supposedly interested in him (that's if there really is a queue to begin with).  I wouldn't pay much for him myself but that doesn't mean other people wouldn't of course.  I can see why Cardiff are interested because Neil Harris is very much in the mould of Warnock in some respects.  I suppose to answer the last point you make, I'd say that I don't want a striker like that.

Me neither. 

It sounds like some players are getting desperate, high and dry without clubs (article in the Gazette about Maddison for example) while others have a load of offers and can hold clubs to ransom a bit. Weird transfer window. I’m sure Warnock would have expected and wanted a lot more signings by now. 

3 minutes ago, "KM" said:

Just checking whether I can still log in on to the forum.

Good Afternoon OneBoro.

Hey 👋🏽 

welcome back KM 😀

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I was watching soccer box on sky other day with Michael Owen. I think that is what its called. Gary Neville is like a host of it.

Anyway. He asked Owen about leaving Real and he goes I was desperate to go Liverpool. Only club he wanted to return to and he told Real that. Summer comes and Real tell him Newcastle are offering 16m for him and LFC cant afford to go past 10m. So Real told him its either Newcastle or you stay here.

I am wondering if Burnley might do something similar with Gibson. They are fully aware he wants to come to Boro but only Norwich are meeting they demands. So for Gibson it could be either Norwich or stay at Burnley??

That deal was also only completed on deadline day, it's definitely a relevant story and I think should Norwich still be interested on deadline day then there's every chance he makes the move if Burnley say Norwich or nowt.

But unlike Newcastle, Norwich aren't trying to sign a big name player and I'm sure they're not gonna play silly buggers until October 5th, 3 weeks into the new season, unless they really are going to struggle to sign somebody else in the mean-time. Given their financial situation, I suspect that won't be the case.

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)