oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I’ve just had a thought on our current position. IF we stay up, will we be better off than other teams? Obviously due to COVID there is a reduction in the amount of money coming into the club via the turnstiles across Europe. Added to this, clubs will still have to pay their players wages. 

As we have come to the point of a massive rebuild and players have run down their contract, are we better off than other clubs to reinvest? 

im trying to make a list of the players who are leaving and find out what their wage is roughly to see how much we have freed up. 

Players moving on after this season and their reported wage. 
Friend 20k per week, Ayala 25k per week, Shotton 15k per week, Gestede 30k per week, Nmecha 8k per week, Roberts 16k per week, Johnson 8k per week.
I couldn’t find Bola or Browne’s and I wasn’t sure if they were 1 year max or they have another year left. 

But, this summer we have freed up 20+25+15+30+8+16+8= 122k per week in player wages. 

Surely that gives us the ability to make some sensible deals? Added to this the Bamford money which I believe is 10m? 

I’ll be honest and say I don’t have a clue about the financial side, but these figures were from the web.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I’ve just had a thought on our current position. IF we stay up, will we be better off than other teams? Obviously due to COVID there is a reduction in the amount of money coming into the club via the turnstiles across Europe. Added to this, clubs will still have to pay their players wages. 

As we have come to the point of a massive rebuild and players have run down their contract, are we better off than other clubs to reinvest? 

im trying to make a list of the players who are leaving and find out what their wage is roughly to see how much we have freed up. 

Friend 20k per week, Ayala 25k per week, Shotton 15k per week, Gestede 30k per week, Nmecha 8k per week, Roberts 16k per week, Johnson 8k per week.
I couldn’t find Bola or Browne’s and I wasn’t sure if they were 1 year max or they have another year left. 

But, this summer we have freed up 20+25+15+30+8+16+8= 122k per week in player wages. 

Surely that gives us the ability to make some sensible deals? Added to this the Bamford money which I believe is 10m? 

I’ll be honest and say I don’t have a clue about the financial side, but these figures were from the web.

Clayton is also out of contract so that’s probably another 20k per week freed up. We had Morrison and Moukodi here short term as well so we are saving approximately 150 - 160k a week. As you say we should be able to make some decent signings with that saving.

160k could get you 8 players on a 20k contracts to replace where we are now. If the rumours of Gibson willing to relax the coin pure a bit are true, it could see us bring in a lot of players through the door. 
Now the problem of the recruitment...

6 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

160k could get you 8 players on a 20k contracts to replace where we are now. If the rumours of Gibson willing to relax the coin pure a bit are true, it could see us bring in a lot of players through the door. 
Now the problem of the recruitment...

Thought the clubs aim was a avg around £10k going forwards which would still be above most other teams in the div.

3 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Thought the clubs aim was a avg around £10k going forwards which would still be above most other teams in the div.

Interesting, even better then. More for your money I suppose. I guess for “better” players they might command slightly higher than 10 though. 

42 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Where have you got Roberts and Nmecha wages from? I highly doubt we are paying they full wages given we were signing league 1 players last summer. Cant imagine any of browne bola or dijkstell were on above 5k each.

as with a lot of people on here i feel there's a real opportunity for the club to move forward with more 'modern'  players, but is our recruitment dept up to the task.

People ahve slagged off NW's buys at Cardiff but they put us to the sword easily enough.

Surely got to pick apart the Wigan corpse and sign one or more of their players.

It's not all down to their manager that they're in this stunning run of form, some decent players in there.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

It’s interesting the different view points you both have on our defence.  On the stats side it’s surprising that we aren’t actually that bad as it feels. Because watching us this season, I’d have said it’s one of our worst in terms of defending when watching the games, but the stats say otherwise.

I think the stats have been kind to us, but we certainly have been very lucky to not concede more, which would have contributed to a higher goals conceded column. I’d say it was down to the opposition having a bad day rather than us being okay defensively. But I appreciate that it’s a different outlook on how we play. 

That's because it is one of our worst in terms of defending in recent seasons.  In our previous four seasons these are our goals conceded and rank in the Championship:

2014/15 37 goals conceded, ranked 1st.

2015/16 31 goals conceded ranked 1st.

2017/18 45 goals conceded ranked joint 4th.

2018/19 41 goals conceded ranked joint 1st.

So for the previous four Championship season we are used to seeing a team excel defensively.  This season we are currently ranked 12th in the Championship having conceded 60 goals.  Before the lock down I think we were 10th having conceded 47 goals.  The comparison to our previous seasons is what's making it seem worse than it is.  We're having an average season, in Championship terms, but for us that's quite a big drop off from being at the top or near to the top.  Because we have had such a poor season in terms of scoring goals, then any errors we make defensively are almost certain to cost us at least two points if not all three.

I don't believe most of the opposition teams have had bad days against us though, I think that makes little sense over the course of a full season.  When we had the best defensive record then that's what we had, if we have the 12th now then that's what we have, whatever it 'feels' like is irrelevant really.  Perception screws up all kinds of things and in this case it's making us more critical of our defence because we've been used to seeing very strong defensive teams.

If you're ranked 12th in goals conceded and 24th in goals scored, then your issues aren't defensive ones, even if it feels that way because of comparisons with previous teams.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Surely got to pick apart the Wigan corpse and sign one or more of their players.

It's not all down to their manager that they're in this stunning run of form, some decent players in there.

Dunkley and Kipre are the two that immediately come to mind who've impressed me in the past.

47 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

roughly £7m a year off the wage bill, add that to the Fawshaw, Bamford promotion clauses along with the Braithwaite £2m

I don't know about Bamford's promotion clauses and such but I'm pretty sure we've already borrowed against his transfer fees.

4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

If you are going to do it then you want to do it now while they are in admin as the administrators should be more concerned with getting money in to keep the business going than getting full whack for the players.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)