oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I’ll be absolutely devastated if we sell our youngsters and replace them with experienced journeymen!

I must admit since lockdown Tav has been much improved and I would be really disappointed if we lost him. Its just balancing the books I suppose and as the senior pros have not set the world alight we are hardly likely to be able to shift them.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I’ll be absolutely devastated if we sell our youngsters and replace them with experienced journeymen!

Tavernier was a bright spark after Warnock came in but if we were talking during lockdown whether we should sell him for 7 million I don't think many would be on the keep at all costs side. Spence showed flashes and had an impressive month button or two in December/January but can we afford having a fullback who tires so badly who'd need subbing every game? I think Warnock might be on to something playing him as a RM in front of a fullback he doesn't have the engine on him yet we can't rely on Spence in our teamsheet next season if we get silly money I can see the case.

Coulson's such a strange one he was good in bursts and Warnock listed him with his wingers there's no chance he plays him LB he's talked constantly about needing 'natural' defenders which Coulson isn't I don't think he'll be sold just be given less gametime. Wood's at the age where a loan would be perfect and Dael Fry is still wanted by Burnley if there's any likely departure I'd have to say right now it's probably Fry for Gibson + cash.

What absolutely hands off assets do we have? There's a reason we want 4-5 new players for our first team it's because the ones in there just almost got relegated albeit with a pub team manager in charge.

3 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Tavernier was a bright spark after Warnock came in but if we were talking during lockdown whether we should sell him for 7 million I don't think many would be on the keep at all costs side. Spence showed flashes and had an impressive month button or two in December/January but can we afford having a fullback who tires so badly who'd need subbing every game? I think Warnock might be on to something playing him as a RM in front of a fullback he doesn't have the engine on him yet we can't rely on Spence in our teamsheet next season if we get silly money I can see the case.

Coulson's such a strange one he was good in bursts and Warnock listed him with his wingers there's no chance he plays him LB he's talked constantly about needing 'natural' defenders which Coulson isn't I don't think he'll be sold just be given less gametime. Wood's at the age where a loan would be perfect and Dael Fry is still wanted by Burnley if there's any likely departure I'd have to say right now it's probably Fry for Gibson + cash.

What absolutely hands off assets do we have? There's a reason we want 4-5 new players for our first team it's because the ones in there just almost got relegated albeit with a pub team manager in charge.

I think the point is that if we get rid of the likes of tav, coulson and Spence to get more experienced championship pros like Saville and Howson were going to find ourselves with a very depressing and unlikeable side. It's what I expect to happen though.

• Like 2

Did Steve Gibson say "were taking two weeks off" or did I imagine that? I sincerely hope he doesn't mean that he is taking two weeks off, or any of the men behind recruitment!

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Did Steve Gibson say "were taking two weeks off" or did I imagine that? I sincerely hope he doesn't mean that he is taking two weeks off, or any of the men behind recruitment!

think he was just talking before the club is back training - after all the season is only in 6 weeks.

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think the point is that if we get rid of the likes of tav, coulson and Spence to get more experienced championship pros like Saville and Howson were going to find ourselves with a very depressing and unlikeable side. It's what I expect to happen though.

The way hes talking about it I would expect a couple to go. I think it will be Spence and Fry as most of the sounds coming out were about those two. If they all go This summer then I dont think theres a word in the dictionary that would explain how I felt

17 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

The side will only be unlikable if we aren’t winning games. If we are winning games with experienced players, there will be a feel good factor all around the club. With Karanka we barely had any young players...Reach? Gibson? Yet that’s the team that we fans most gelled with and got behind. 

The only younger I’d be sad to see leave is Tav. Spence, Coulson and Fry can all go if the price is right.

• Confused 1
26 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

If this was 2 years ago I'd 100% be on your side I hated, absolutely hated spending 5/6/7 million on players like Howson/Saville but that doesn't seem to be where we are anymore and in a market where League 1 players are going for 2/4 million+ if a decent offer comes in for anyone I'd lean into sell to reinvest and also sell to strengthen us financially the following year etc.

If Warnock does with us what he did with Cardiff gets us scoring 60+ goals it would be hard to hate that side and if we need to sell a couple of players to fund a set piece taker, a pacey winger or a new striker then I'm all for it. 

I hope we're not in for Moore tbh, I think he's good player but not a better striker than Britt or Fletch and if we played 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 I'd rather one of them be leading the line

Most important attacking players in either of them formations are the two wide players and behind the striker imo, use what little money we have to get quality additions in those 3 areas 

I'd happily have a free agent striker as 3rd choice, what about Gnanduillet he's free, a target man and good goal return last season 

10 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

The side will only be unlikable if we aren’t winning games. If we are winning games with experienced players, there will be a feel good factor all around the club. With Karanka we barely had any young players...Reach? Gibson? Yet that’s the team that we fans most gelled with and got behind. 

The only younger I’d be sad to see leave is Tav. Spence, Coulson and Fry can all go if the price is right.

if we sell the lads who actually care about the club all in one window then sign some merc journeymen to replace them. i'm done paying to watch them. back to illegal streams.

• Like 1

I really really hope we are not looking at league 1 players for deal upwards of 9 million and 25k a week. League 1 is not where we should be spending lots of money. 

• Like 2

When Warnock starts talking up Spence as been as good as Alexander - Arnold if he can improve the defensive side of his game, its bloody madness to even think of getting rid of him, he's an inexperienced kid whose learning he's trade he's not even 20 yet, and Tav's only 21 and far more skillful than the so called experienced players in the squad, both players make things happen on the pitch. I'd sooner sell any other player in the squad than these two, they're a breath of fresh air when they're on their game.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

When Warnock starts talking up Spence as been as good as Alexander - Arnold if he can improve the defensive side of his game, its bloody madness to even think of getting rid of him, he's an inexperienced kid whose learning he's trade he's not even 20 yet, and Tav's only 21 and far more skillful than the so called experienced players in the squad, both players make things happen on the pitch. I'd sooner sell any other player in the squad than these two, they're a breath of fresh air when they're on their game.

Spence only signed a 2 year contract. He wasn't willing to sign anything longer. He is leaving, club needs to get some money for him. 

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)