oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

From what I've heard of Kirk, he could be a potential captain in the future......if we can cling on to him

Looks a very good player

We definitely should be looking to sign 1 or 2 of the talents from the lower leagues but not have them make up our entire transfer window

i.e. Charlie Goode and Bez Lubala or Rob Dickie and Charlie Kirk or forget them all and sign Ronan Curtis 

I just think it's a poor analogy.  We had a bad season because we made some bad decisions last summer.  We aren't on the verge of death and this isn't a rescue mission.  We don't need to settle for less is my point, things aren't that bad, and that's what that analogy is really about - when you're desperate, take whatever you can get to see you through.  We're not desperate in my opinion and it seems like a strange picture to paint of Boro right now, to me at least.

I haven't seen anyone write him off, myself included. I said I hope he has developed in the last two years because he was young last time he didn't make it at a higher level than league 2.

Also, all the reasons that people are giving for him being a good signing are the exact same reasons everyone was saying bola and brown were good signings last year.

Were allowed to discuss the merits and the risks of every new signing, its not being negative to point highlight those risks. 

Just now, Neverbefore said:

I haven't seen anyone write him off, myself included. I said I hope he has developed in the last two years because he was young last time he didn't make it at a higher level than league 2.

Also, all the reasons that people are giving for him being a good signing are the exact same reasons everyone was saying bola and brown were good signings last year.

Were allowed to discuss the merits and the risks of every new signing, its not being negative to point highlight those risks. 

That's strange cos it usually is when I do it 🙂

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think it's harsh to judge them on their time under Woodgate tbh. Browne went out and once again performed very well for Oxford, there is clearly a player there. Bola I don't know, but I want to see more of him before writing him off. The biggest problem with last summer was that they (along with Dijksteel) were the only players we went out and got.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Will said:

Is this how it's going to be with every potential link? Those who didn't want Warnock just instantly writing off targets before they've even signed for us? Christ.

To be fair you can’t blame them with some of the names put forward so far. I think anyone who didn’t want Warnock, didn’t want him due to the concern of going back to Pulis style football. 

So far we’ve been linked with target men, no nonsense full backs and now a 6ft5 centre back with a long throw, who plays for a team famous for their route one style of football. It’s not exactly doing anything to quash those concerns is it? Obviously all of this is just rumours at the moment but you can’t blame some fans for feeling a little bit anxious about going back to a style of football which was, to put it politely, mind numbingly painful. 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I just think it's a poor analogy.  We had a bad season because we made some bad decisions last summer.  We aren't on the verge of death and this isn't a rescue mission.  We don't need to settle for less is my point, things aren't that bad, and that's what that analogy is really about - when you're desperate, take whatever you can get to see you through.  We're not desperate in my opinion and it seems like a strange picture to paint of Boro right now, to me at least.

Don't take it too literally, its a bit of humour, the point is that whilst both are in a parlous state you need to make decisions on what is going to be of benefit to you most now, not what you might want, like or dream about.

You should have paid more attention in all those Sunday school classes, you can't start a parable with "there was this bloke with a terrible Football Club near a River", or there again, thinking about it maybe you can?

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Tbf you can’t blame them with some of the names put forward so far. I think anyone who didn’t want Warnock, didn’t want him due to the concern of going back to Pulis style football. 

So far we’ve been linked with target men, no nonsense full backs and now a 6ft5 centre back with a long throw, who plays for a team famous for their route one style of football. It’s not exactly doing anything to quash those concerns is it? Obviously all of this is just rumours at the moment but you can’t blame some fans for feeling a little bit anxious about going back to a style of football which was, to put it politely, numbingly painful. 

Pulis style football is playing CB's as fullbacks, the fact we've been linked with actual fullbacks (no nonsense or otherwise) should be evidence enough that Warnock's style is different.

None of what you say in your post is enough to write off individual players before they've even signed. Yeh, he's a 6ft5 CB who seems to have a bit of a no nonsense nature about him, Ayala isn't far off and was that exact type of defender and we wouldn't complain if we signed someone who performed to his level. It's just *** stupid to write a player off based on a physical attribute and the fact he can throw the ball a long way.

2 minutes ago, Will said:

Pulis style football is playing CB's as fullbacks, the fact we've been linked with actual fullbacks (no nonsense or otherwise) should be evidence enough that Warnock's style is different.

None of what you say in your post is enough to write off individual players before they've even signed. Yeh, he's a 6ft5 CB who seems to have a bit of a no nonsense nature about him, Ayala isn't far off and was that exact type of defender and we wouldn't complain if we signed someone who performed to his level. It's just *** stupid to write a player off based on a physical attribute and the fact he can throw the ball a long way.

Who has written off an individual player on here? 

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Who has written off an individual player on here? 

" it looks like its very much his physical attributes that has us interested in him rather than his footballing ability - sign of things to come."

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)