oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

27 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Jamie Vardy was 25 when he signed for Leicester... Many Leicester fans had the same sentiment as you. And he failed to live up to even low expectations early on there.

I have little knowledge of this lad, but he has the raw attributes we need, and knows the physicality of the English game. Jores Okore on the other hand always looked bullied in England. He might seem strong in Denmark, but he was bullied by attackers constantly in England and looked lost. I live in the Midlands. He's a laughing stock here.

That’s about 5 years ago in the Prem. It was just an example to highlight there is plenty of players available for very little money with lots of experience. Kevin Diks for right back is another. Currently owned by Fiorentina but available for as little as 400k. Been injured before this season but has finished the season incredibly strong. 

And for every Varys there is a thousand Bolas. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Borodane said:

That’s about 5 years ago in the Prem. It was just an example to highlight there is plenty of players available for very little money with lots of experience. Kevin Diks for right back is another. Currently owned by Fiorentina but available for as little as 400k. Been injured before this season but has finished the season incredibly strong. 

I think you have your footballers and your game of thrones characters mixed up again BD.

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, Borodane said:

And for every Eriksen there is a thousand Okores. Same 💩, different country. 

• Like 1

Jesus I could have mentioned Laudrup in his prime and you’d still complain that he hasn’t played lower league English football. League 2 is dreadful and league 1 isn’t much better. Sure there are talented players in there who will go on to greatness, but you need to appreciate that there is actually talented players outside your precious English leagues and most times they can be found at much better value. If you’re good enough you don’t need experience from a very poor lower domestic league. This is exactly what we’ve been slating Gary Gill for for years. If I was following the Dutch league I’d probably recommend Dutch players. The Swedish league I’d be recommending Swedish players. There is plenty of players mentioned every day, but it seems like the general consensus is that they have to have domestic experience regardless of level. 

6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Jesus I could have mentioned Laudrup in his prime and you’d still complain that he hasn’t played lower league English football. League 2 is dreadful and league 1 isn’t much better. Sure there are talented players in there who will go on to greatness, but you need to appreciate that there is actually talented players outside your precious English leagues and most times they can be found at much better value. If you’re good enough you don’t need experience from a very poor lower domestic league. This is exactly what we’ve been slating Gary Gill for for years. If I was following the Dutch league I’d probably recommend Dutch players. The Swedish league I’d be recommending Swedish players. There is plenty of players mentioned every day, but it seems like the general consensus is that they have to have domestic experience regardless of level. 

We are most likely in a position where we can't financially afford to scout those league at the moment, which is why there has been a shift in focus towards unearthing gems from the lower leagues (unsuccessfully)

This is just conjecture of course,  I have no idea what our scouting department do..

Blind GIF by memecandy

I'd like to think that if a decent player is located then it doesn't matter what his nationality is...the error last time wasn't signing too many overseas players...it was signing too many from the same country at the same time....we should have learnt that was a no-no from Mr Strachan's reign

3 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

We are most likely in a position where we can't financially afford to scout those league at the moment, which is why there has been a shift in focus towards unearthing gems from the lower leagues (unsuccessfully)

This is just conjecture of course,  I have no idea what our scouting department do..

Blind GIF by memecandy

Well we recently signed Stojanovic, which was the first foreign league signing for a while, so I think we do have eyes on the continent. When you look at most of the foreign lads that have signed for us it seems to have been sink or swim. No real medium to long term investment in the  qualities that attracted them to the club in the first place. The same might be said of Browne and Bola. That said, there is always fan pressure which often demands instant success.

@Borodane - I do appreciate there's talent outside of England. I mentioned the viruses of Victor Ruiz, Sinan Bolat, and Robert Mak in this thread from the European Free Agent list that was posted. I don't doubt there's talent in Denmark, but finding them in an unfashionable league with very little coverage in the UK? It's much harder from this side of the North Sea. And even if we do find them, watching them regularly would be more expensive. 

With all due respect, the Dutch league is far superior to the Danish League. The Danish league is closer to the standard of League One in England. Some teams likely closer to League Two. As I said above, there's obviously a few from the league that would succeed here, but in general? It's a substandard league, with substandard players.

Ultimately, You're doing the same as me. You're writing a player off for playing in a lower league. The Danish league, even at the pinnacle, is, frankly, a lower league.  I wouldn't write off a signing from Denmark, if it was cheap enough. And £750k is bigger all in the current football climate (Kieffer Moore? £4m?).

But European players have, for generations, said how difficult it is to acclimatise to English football. Especially in defensive positions due to the physicality of the game.

Still.though... Perfect GIF for our scouting department!

6 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

@Borodane - I do appreciate there's talent outside of England. I mentioned the viruses of Victor Ruiz, Sinan Bolat, and Robert Mak in this thread from the European Free Agent list that was posted. I don't doubt there's talent in Denmark, but finding them in an unfashionable league with very little coverage in the UK? It's much harder from this side of the North Sea. And even if we do find them, watching them regularly would be more expensive. 

With all due respect, the Dutch league is far superior to the Danish League. The Danish league is closer to the standard of League One in England. Some teams likely closer to League Two. As I said above, there's obviously a few from the league that would succeed here, but in general? It's a substandard league, with substandard players.

Ultimately, You're doing the same as me. You're writing a player off for playing in a lower league. The Danish league, even at the pinnacle, is, frankly, a lower league.  I wouldn't write off a signing from Denmark, if it was cheap enough. And £750k is bigger all in the current football climate (Kieffer Moore? £4m?).

But European players have, for generations, said how difficult it is to acclimatise to English football. Especially in defensive positions due to the physicality of the game.

Still.though... Perfect GIF for our scouting department!

Wow. This is just ignorance at its finest. Some of the smaller teams might be around league 1 but the top 6 is easily championship standard and Copenhagen and Midtjylland would be top6 candidates. The championship is hardly a place blessed with quality throughout. 

Do you even know Bolat and Mak from first hand recent knowledge? I’m only suggesting players that I’m actually watching every week and not picking them off a list on transfermarkt. 

• Like 1

Boro will have something like wyscout and be able to watch hours of footage of any foreign player, not to mention scouts whose job it is to go to these games to find someone worth watching footage of. We just for whatever reason prefer to overpay for technically lesser players because they're taller or something

I think a lot of it boils down to the personality of the player involved ...we did well with Franck, Mad Pog,  Festa, Uwe, even Ziege..but they were all of an age where they had been round the block a bit and that probably helped..and Mak and Bolat both seem to fit into that category too, so I would like to think that we would at least have had an idea of who they were and if they would suit us   

The guy responsible for most of Brentford's French League signings (Maupay, Benrahma, Mbuemo etc) is a part time scout for Brentford part time teaching assistant in France I don't think expanding our scope beyond Gary Gill's laptop would be dramatically expensive it would probably require an open mindedness and modernisation if anything. I mean we are a club that pays Neil Maddisons travel and expenses to go to Haag to watch Sam Stubbs play if we built a network of trained scouts simply by utilising fans who live in other countries it would be much better and more efficient but like our digital operation and media team we just don't invest enough in ourselves.

• Like 5
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)