oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

@Neverbefore I too don’t think that we should keep Johnson even though he showed good character to finish the season. But the Downing comparison is probably a little unfair in that he was a lot older than Marvin at the time of his release and you would expect a lot more than double the output from a player who was probably on ten times the wages. So that would probably go a long way towards peoples thought processes on which players should or shouldn’t be retained.

3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

@Neverbefore I too don’t think that we should keep Johnson even though he showed good character to finish the season. But the Downing comparison is probably a little unfair in that he was a lot older than Marvin at the time of his release and you would expect a lot more than double the output from a player who was probably on ten times the wages. So that would probably go a long way towards peoples thought processes on which players should or shouldn’t be retained.

It was more to show the standard difference between two left wingers at this level really. It was about adding context to the numbers I posted for Marv.

• Like 1

Me and the lads from work started having a sweepstakes as to when Johnson would commit his first 'foul in a dangerous area' of the night. He did it pretty much every game when playing at left-back during lockdown. And it was rarely one of those that even Maddo would describe as a 'necessary' foul.

Positives, I thought he was our best attacking player in the early games. When we shifted to wing-backs, he looked okay... but then got himself sent off with one of the stupidest tackles we've probably ever seen in a Boro shirt against Hull. He wasn't a left-back.

For large portions of his time here, he wasn't an effective winger either... though I do think if he'd have been able to stick in that position this season, we might have had better out of him, his dribbling in the first half of this season was terrific at times.

On the Marv thing, only reason I’d be inclined to give him a year extension is because the squad needs at least 4-5 additions and it’s likely we won’t have a lot of time to get bodies in.

At least he’s a known quantity (albeit not a particularly good quantity).

• Like 1
Just now, HoyteForLeftBack said:

On the Marv thing, only reason I’d be inclined to give him a year extension is because the squad needs at least 4-5 additions and it’s likely we won’t have a lot of time to get bodies in.

Justin Hoyte is a known quantity but God forbid we get him to play left-back 😉

2 minutes ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

If he is one of the 4-5 then we will not improve and it will be the same struggle again next season. However if you said we need 10 then you will be closer.

theres no doubting johnson has been a poor signing that offers very little defensively or offensively and very few assists or goals, but i can see why warnock trusted him enouggh to pick him in the starting 11. For all the insults and negativity hurled at him and ourhorrible form as a team, he didnt go missing ,showed for the ball and was prepared to try the basics, not much you might say but they are the first things to go if youre feeling the tension of the situation.he had a bravery about him that some pothers didnt.

• Like 3

Marvin Johnson is just another terrible signing from our recruitment team, why keep him on?

10 goal contributions in League 1 2016/17 so we paid £2.5 million?? Buendia cost £1.35m...

I thank him for his efforts but fresh start please, got more people defending him than Britt

3 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

So across the last 3 years, Marvin has made 66 league appearances (3700 mins) between Boro and Sheff Utd. Of these he's made 18 appearances at left back, so that excuse goes out the window - he has played as a winger for the majority of the time. His attacking stats look like this - 

Goals - 2

Assists - 5

Shots per game - 0.7

Key passes (chance created) per game - 0.9

Dribbles per game - 0.9

Passes per game - 19.9 

Pass success rate - 65.5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crosses per game - 0.8

To be fair those stats per game don't really reflect the true value because he's only playing about half a game, so you pretty much have to double the chances created, dribbles per game etc.

He makes a serviceable wing back and is pretty versatile, so whilst we've not got much of a budget I think it makes sense to give him a new contract if Warnock wants him. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)