oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

He's a League 2 CB who hasn't played at this level before and who they wanted 1m+ for.

He would be 3rd choice behind Hall & Fry and we have Wood & Stubbs training with the first team to play back up for those two.

In terms of WHERE we need to invest our limited funds, CB was simply not the most important position.

No reason whatsoever to be upset about losing out on this one.

Disagree but hey ho

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Brentford are leaps and bounds a far better run football club than us so it’s the right move for Goode. It hurts that we’re so far behind modern football clubs like them and seem absolutely incapable of moving in that direction with Steve Gibson wanting to retain the power to make all key decisions; which he uses terribly with knee-jerking between contrasting managers and employing his loyal, useless cronies to key positions. He needs to get his head out of the sand and stop just employing people to pat him on the back. It’s time to be a serious football club with an actual long term plan, and not be weighed down by Gibson’s ego.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Team talk saying we wouldn't stretch to a mil.

QPR tapped out at 500k we went further than them, they're expecting a windfall from Eze+Samuels so money is less of a concern for them they just didn't think he was worth more we went further but had the same hesitation.

They switched to Dickie a week ago I'm guessing we switched off Goode days ago let's see who's the next name I don't see anyone in League 1/2 that would suit us at our budget I'm curious where we go now.

Am I the only one on here that is glad that we haven’t overpaid for a player that struggled in League 1 and has only found his feet when he’s dropped to League 2? It would be different if he was 20. But he’s 25. 

He could turn out to be a bargain but it’s equally likely (actually more than likely given his playing history) that he will turn out to be not good enough for this league. 

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

But we didn't have a bid accepted, because the club wouldn't go up to a fairly low key £1m, so we'll never know.

Hard to see it as anything but a failure on the club's part.

Going off reports we're trying to spend over double that fee on this Joe Williams.

I'll retract my criticism if we get Gibson back and keep Fry.

Joe Williams is a tried and tested Championship player, Goode has only been successful in league two. It is a massive difference, the club has their valuations and they are more than welcome to stick to them

• Like 1

I love some of the bravado on here! The fact of the matter is every player we’ve been linked with has chosen elsewhere to ply their trade. No amount of sugar coating alters this fact. Am I the only one concerned by this trend?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Robin Johnson said:

I love some of the bravado on here! The fact of the matter is every player we’ve been linked with has chosen elsewhere to ply their trade. No amount of sugar coating alters this fact. Am I the only one concerned by this trend?

If (big if) we manage to get Gibson and Williams over the line things seem alot brighter.

Just now, Robin Johnson said:

There's no point being concerned about "links".

People take too much stock in what ITK posters and journos on twitter say. One journalist says "5 Championship clubs of the same stature are all interested in X player" because it's an easy story. ITK posters - with the greatest respect - are just posting second hand info.

Nobody knows who is on our list, how hard we are going for them, or who Warnock sees as being his key targets. Not a single person - ITK or journalist - mentioned Hall before it happened.

Do I trust our recruitment department? No. But do I think the hysteria over us not just bringing bodies in for the sake of it is a bit daft? Yes.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Am I the only one on here that is glad that we haven’t overpaid for a player that struggled in League 1 and has only found his feet when he’s dropped to League 2? It would be different if he was 20. But he’s 25. 

He could turn out to be a bargain but it’s equally likely (actually more than likely given his playing history) that he will turn out to be not good enough for this league. 

We got absolutely hammered for buying league one players last season, 'buy league one players and get a league one team' etc. 

• Like 4

Of course Brentford is a better stop for him. If nothing else, they've done well to take lesser known quantities and make players of them. If Goode wants to develop himself then even if we did match the offer, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

However, it does raise the question... if we really wanted him, we surely should have paid the asking price. And we could have avoided Brentford's late interest altogether.

It's good if we're trying to play hardball and not give players stupid contracts but there is definitely the other extreme which we witnessed during Pulis' reign where we just wouldn't sign players we needed at all and wouldn't compromise. That's no better than flinging money around left, right and centre.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

He was in Scunthorpe's reserves a year ago!

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/105888/Show/Michael-Ihiekwe

This Rotherham guy has actually got standout stats in League 1, did it at a higher level than Goode and would probably be cheaper than a mill?

Just 1 example of what's still out there for us, I don't put this on the club at all Northampton asked for silly money got silly money we met them halfway didn't get a deal done because they held out that seems fine to me got to back Warnock it was probably him saying don't pay a million let's see where we go now.

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)