oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Honestly, this is nowhere near as apathetic as I was during the early years of the last decade. Late Southgate and Strachan I didn't really give a toss any more. Pulis took it out of me a bit but despite the failure of Woodgate, I got the good feeling back when Pulis left.

The difference being is I still think we should, with Warnock as manager, be aiming for top 6 or his existence here is completely pointless. And with that being the case, I'm looking forward to the season. In my head, I don't see how it can happen with the squad as it is right now. But then I do think Warnock will get the best out of most these players and that's half the battle.

In my eyes right now, I'll almost certainly be holding the club accountable if hiring a manager with this pedigree for one year doesn't bear fruit and have us battling at the top end of the division. Because that means it's a year wasted when they could have actually spent time finding the long-term hire and backing them with players fit for the long-term plan.

As it is right now, it feels like the club has hired a short-term manager but are unwilling to commit to signing long-term contracts for players, which feels both right and wrong. They could have just gone for the long-term hire now and solved that issue but that would have required Gibson and co. to actually put the feelers out for a new manager with that kind of vision.

• Like 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Honestly, this is nowhere near as apathetic as I was during the early years of the last decade. Late Southgate and Strachan I didn't really give a toss any more. Pulis took it out of me a bit but despite the failure of Woodgate, I got the good feeling back when Pulis left.

The difference being is I still think we should, with Warnock as manager, be aiming for top 6 or his existence here is completely pointless. And with that being the case, I'm looking forward to the season. In my head, I don't see how it can happen with the squad as it is right now. But then I do think Warnock will get the best out of most these players and that's half the battle.

In my eyes right now, I'll almost certainly be holding the club accountable if hiring a manager with this pedigree for one year doesn't bear fruit and have us battling at the top end of the division. Because that means it's a year wasted when they could have actually spent time finding the long-term hire and backing them with players fit for the long-term plan.

As it is right now, it feels like the club has hired a short-term manager but are unwilling to commit to signing long-term contracts for players, which feels both right and wrong. They could have just gone for the long-term hire now and solved that issue but that would have required Gibson and co. to actually put the feelers out for a new manager with that kind of vision.

I don’t think the club have hired Warnock with promotion in mind, not for one second.

I think the club have hired him to achieve mid table because it lessens the risk of us getting relegated whilst COVID is still affecting football’s finances. I think the plan is to ride out COVID, wait until normality has returned, then appoint a new man the following season.

It seems to me that this year it’s all about keeping the spending down and treading water. 

• Like 5

I get why people are anxious.

We can probably field an alright team in the wing back formation probably. 

I still have questions over our goalkeepers and both full backs.

Our centre mid is no more creative than last year and we would most likely be playing our only two strikers every match. 

We are also hoping a lot of ours players come good based and stay good. 

So I really am crying out for players but not just anyone.

Some of the players we are after look like squad fillers and that really wont help us.

I wonder if this will be a holding season so we can ride out the financial uncertainty of this coming season. 

6 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I don’t think the club have hired Warnock with promotion in mind, not for one second.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time that the manager and club's ambitions in a given season were different. The club wanted to smash the league when Monk seemingly wanted time to develop his team. That still isn't a good look for us, if Warnock wants to get promoted and we hired him knowing that whilst wanting something else.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time that the manager and club's ambitions in a given season were different. The club wanted to smash the league when Monk seemingly wanted time to develop his team. That still isn't a good look for us, if Warnock wants to get promoted and we hired him knowing that whilst wanting something else.

I think that may be more about the difference between what Warnock says in public and the understanding behind the scenes, either that or Warnock felt he could still wheel and deal but didnt realise just how much we could destory every transfer

I am sure Warnock can now empathise with comments made on the various message boards. The apathy, cynicism, lack of hope and confidence, disillusionment with the recruitment ability of the club. And, of course, the reality of working for Gibbo as opposed to admiring him from afar.

Neil, this is Middlesbrough FC, welcome to the land of our reality!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Will said:

They want him to stay and not play. Like I said earlier, he was on the fringes of the England squad a year before he signed for them. He's sat at Burnley working his *** off (even in Sean Dyches opinion) for 18 months and he's as far away from the England squad as when he was in the championship because he's not even being given a chance. Of course he wants to leave.

They wanted him to stay and fight for his place, I don't think Dyche signed him so he could deliberately ruin his career. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

They wanted him to stay and fight for his place, I don't think Dyche signed him so he could deliberately ruin his career. 

And after 18 months of not being given a fair chance, can you really blame him for wanting more of a chance? Football is a short career and so far he's wasted 2 years of his sat on Burnley's bench, and he's meant to not be annoyed or want to change that? Come off it.

All new signings below including loans  

we aren’t out of place, and a lot of teams have lost more players than us 

swansea and Norwich have done well but can’t say there are many other clubs who’s signings are that exciting  

Barnsley 1

Birmingham 4

Blackburn 1

Bournemouth 0

Brentford 1

Bristol 1 

Cardiff 2

Coventry 3

Derby 3

Huddersfield 1

Luton 1

Boro 1

Millwall 4 

Norwich 10 (some decent signings in there)

Forest 4

PNE 0

QPR 3

Reading 1

Rotherham 5

Sheff Wed 3

Swansea 6

Stoke 3

watford 1

Wycombe 3

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, Will said:

And after 18 months of not being given a fair chance, can you really blame him for wanting more of a chance? Football is a short career and so far he's wasted 2 years of his sat on Burnley's bench, and he's meant to not be annoyed or want to change that? Come off it.

I've already said I can see both sides of it. 

1 hour ago, Boro Banker said:

swansea and Norwich have done well but can’t say there are many other clubs who’s signings are that exciting  

Barnsley 1

Birmingham 4

Blackburn 1

Bournemouth 0

Brentford 1

Bristol 1 

Cardiff 2

Coventry 3

Derby 3

Huddersfield 1

Luton 1

Boro 1

Millwall 4 

Forest 4

PNE 0

QPR 3

Reading 1

Rotherham 5

Sheff Wed 3

Swansea 6

Stoke 3

watford 1

Wycombe 3

id counter this by saying how many other squads barely survived relegation last season with a thin squad, and have lost 5/6 senior players this summer while only bringing in one replacement?  i dont know the answer but i  assume not many, and for me, thats the real worry of this transfer window. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, tmcc said:

id counter this by saying how many other squads barely survived relegation last season with a thin squad, and have lost 5/6 senior players this summer while only bringing in one replacement?  i dont know the answer but i  assume not many, and for me, thats the real worry of this transfer window. 

Its the same story throughout the league.. teams have lost players and can’t afford to bring in

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Boro Banker said:

Barnsley 1

Birmingham 4

Blackburn 1

Bournemouth 0

Brentford 1

Bristol 1 

Cardiff 2

Coventry 3

Derby 3

Huddersfield 1

Luton 1

Boro 1

Millwall 4 

Forest 4

PNE 0

QPR 3

Reading 1

Rotherham 5

Sheff Wed 3

Swansea 6

Stoke 3

watford 1

Wycombe 3

I'd like to see a table representing the net effect i.e. incomings minus outgoings. That would paint a truer picture.

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)