oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He started one game under Warnock, against Hull, where he won the penalty for us didn't he?  Other than that he came off the bench for 10 mins, 2 mins, 13 mins and 32 mins.  Three of the four games that he came off the bench in, we were losing when he came on.  I don't remember him looking any worse than other players, in the few bits we saw of him.

He just didnt look comfortable for me and then Warnock felt he looked like he was trying too hard, in his defense Warnock didnt play him in his favoured position too much. I really hope he pushes back on again as he looked a much better prospect than Spence

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I suspect it's more to do with here's another striker that can chase after the long balls into the channel or try and win a header against someone 4 inches taller than him.  The three games we've played this season, and lots of the games we played last season, I'm not sure our finishing was the biggest problem, and that's all that this particular signing would be looking to improve on unless I'm missing something?

I couldn't agree more. Our patterns of play have been absolutely horrific since Karanka promotion team and we are just a long ball hoping to win the second balls type of teamwhich is easy for championship teams to deal with. Our play needs to completely change regardless of players but that isn't going to happen anytime soon now we have ditched our 'woodgate new era philosophy' . I was excited by the thought of a new brand of football just not under Woodgate.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

He just didnt look comfortable for me and then Warnock felt he looked like he was trying too hard, in his defense Warnock didnt play him in his favoured position too much. I really hope he pushes back on again as he looked a much better prospect than Spence

I tend to be a bit dubious when I hear things like that, and yeah I can remember saying Warnock saying it.  I watch a game and Johnson, his rival essentially, plays poorly.  Nothing about trying too hard, nothing even about him having a bad game.  A younger lad does it and it becomes a thing.  I can't honestly say that Johnson played well last season, and he hasn't played well this season, but he got himself a new contract, and he will still be in the team I imagine.

• Like 1

Akpom would be a brilliant signing at this level I think. I see him more as a number 10 rather than striker so I'm not particularly looking at his goalscoring record.

My 2nd team is Arsenal so I've watched him a lot over the years especially at Youth level and he's pacey, direct and can take people on which is something we have been crying out for. I'd say he's a different option to Tavernier, gives us the option to go to a 2 in the middle of midfield with Akpom behind the 2 strikers.

Edited by diggerlad07
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I suspect it's more to do with here's another striker that can chase after the long balls into the channel or try and win a header against someone 4 inches taller than him.  The three games we've played this season, and lots of the games we played last season, I'm not sure our finishing was the biggest problem, and that's all that this particular signing would be looking to improve on unless I'm missing something?

PAOK fans all say he isn't the best finisher more of a creator for other forwards around the box with a good workrate apparently has scored crucial goals for PAOK in derby's and scored an overhead kick in last years Greek Cup final to win them the Cup.

He seems different than what we have in that he has good technique with a good touch around the box and he uses it to pick out teammates with cute passes something we do lack from Britt and Fletcher.

I'm assuming there's a massive unit to come on loan as striker number 4, after that I'll just be praying we get new wingbacks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I couldn't agree more. Our patterns of play have been absolutely horrific since Karanka promotion team and we are just a long ball hoping to win the second balls type of teamwhich is easy for championship teams to deal with. Our play needs to completely change regardless of players but that isn't going to happen anytime soon now we have ditched our 'woodgate new era philosophy' . I was excited by the thought of a new brand of football just not under Woodgate.

Even woodgate gave up on his own ideas of a new brand of football almost immediately. It's been a depressing state of affairs for years now.

Watching how Barnsley played last night I was genuinely jealous at times.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I tend to be a bit dubious when I hear things like that, and yeah I can remember saying Warnock saying it.  I watch a game and Johnson, his rival essentially, plays poorly.  Nothing about trying too hard, nothing even about him having a bad game.  A younger lad does it and it becomes a thing.  I can't honestly say that Johnson played well last season, and he hasn't played well this season, but he got himself a new contract, and he will still be in the team I imagine.

I think one area where 'maybe' Johnson excels over Coulson is his positioning defensively. 

It was noted by a few people early on last season that teams were exploiting in the spaces behind Coulson. Saying that we don't exactly look watertight with Johnson in the team. 

I think with Coulson in the team we look a lot more threatening going forward, he's got a lot of energy, he creates things and gets into good positions. 

I'd play Coulson over Johnson all day long if we are playing wing backs, I just wonder whether Warnock doesn't trust him defensively. 

• Like 1
Just now, Brunners said:

Even woodgate gave up on his own ideas of a new brand of football almost immediately. It's been a depressing state of affairs for years now.

Watching how Barnsley played last night I was genuinely jealous at times.

Ha ha I was also jealous seeing them play out from the back and press as a complete team.

When we press, we press in 2's or 3's and it just leaves gaping wholes in the defence. Anyone who has played pressing football before knows the attack, midfield and defence have to do it and push further up the pitch to make it work.

• Like 2

Watch Leeds pressing where they virtually go man for man with every player on the pitch. 

I was jealous watching them play on Saturday and to think some of our fans were laughing when we got Monk and they replaced him with Bielsa. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Akpom would be a brilliant signing at this level I think. I see him more as a number 10 rather than striker so I'm not particularly looking at his goalscoring record.

My 2nd team is Arsenal so I've watched him a lot over the years especially at Youth level and he's pacey, direct and can take people on which is something we have been crying out for. I'd say he's a different option to Tavernier, but going to a 2 in the middle of Akpom behind the 2 strikers.

You and your brother with bloody Arsenal 🤦‍♂️

I did wonder if he could play somewhere other than straight up front, like one of three split wide or behind a striker maybe.  I remember him a bit from a few years back, at Hull I think, but I haven't seen him for a while now and wouldn't have a clue what type of player he's developed into.

7 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

My 2nd team is Arsenal so I've watched him a lot over the years especially at Youth level and he's pacey, direct and can take people on which is something we have been crying out for. I'd say he's a different option to Tavernier, but going to a 2 in the middle of Akpom behind the 2 strikers.

Arsenal are also my 2nd team. Good choice.