oneBoro Forum

Jack RIP

This is way, way before my time but looking at the table that year we finished 12th and 16 points (so I guess 8 wins) behind the champions Liverpool. Can any of our older fans provide an insight into why Charlton might’ve said this? 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

This is way, way before my time but looking at the table that year we finished 12th and 16 points (so I guess 8 wins) behind the champions Liverpool. Can any of our older fans provide an insight into why Charlton might’ve said this? 

There were signings he wanted to make but would not bow to the high asking prices and I believe it was a striker he was after but the name eludes me right now.  I remember the crowds, the atmospher the chating of boring, boring BORO but no one cared as we went from strength to strength. There was pride a buzz about the place, 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sanddancer said:

There were signings he wanted to make but would not bow to the high asking prices and I believe it was a striker he was after but the name eludes me right now.  I remember the crowds, the atmospher the chating of boring, boring BORO but no one cared as we went from strength to strength. There was pride a buzz about the place, 

David Cross was the player I think. His managerial era was some of the best times of my life. He was a real character and a gentleman. RIP

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

David Cross was the player I think. His managerial era was some of the best times of my life. He was a real character and a gentleman. RIP

Here, here. 

Remember the promotion season and the parade after promotion around the town was amazing, for those who don't remember it think Liverpool after last seasons European cup parade

stevie macs euro campaign leading to little boro actually appearing in a european cup final and of course that brilliant day in cardiff when we eventually WON a cup. ..3rd best time to be a boro fan

the robbo era with the major signings including TLF AND RAVANELLI, 3 CUP FINALS IN TWO YEARS, FANTASTIC MEMORIES BUT only sticks as the second best time of being a boro fan.

for me, that 1973/74 season under big jack will always be the best time in all my years of following this club. THANKYOU , JACK for your part in that unforgettable and wonderful memory , RIP .LEGEND.

• Like 3

Well before my time, but from what I've read he was a major part of the club's history.

Not to mention his already-legendary status as a World Cup winner with England and his exploits as Ireland manager.

Just a huge figure in the world of football - like his brother Bobby.

Rest in Peace, big fella. 

To me he was the most influential Boro Manager in our history, by no means perfect, like all of us he had his flaws but he put Boro back on the footballing map after languishing in the second tier with seemingly no way out of it. Brilliant time to be a Boro fan back then, many happy memories! RIP Big Jack.

• Like 1

small squad then and iirc we kept a pretty consistant 11 week in week out and same two subs each game  cuff and brine. also unlike these days the recruitment worked positively   i think maybe boam, platt, craggs, murdoch and souness were the only signings in his first two seasons, all sucesses . next to bernie , souness must be our bigest bargain of all time...30,000  wow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

small squad then and iirc we kept a pretty consistant 11 week in week out and same two subs each game  cuff and brine. also unlike these days the recruitment worked positively   i think maybe boam, platt, craggs, murdoch and souness were the only signings in his first two seasons, all sucesses . next to bernie , souness must be our bigest bargain of all time...30,000  wow.

Jim Platt had already been at the Club for a couple of seasons before Jack's arrival as back up to Willie Whigham as had Stuart Boam and John Craggs. Graeme Souness had arrived around a year before Jack Charlton. I'm pretty sure Jack Charlton's only tweak to the existing squad was to bring Booby Murdoch in from Celtic. That's what made his success all the more remarkable.

Souness has been quoted saying things like he lost half a stone the minute Charlton walked in the dressing room,  I don't believe Souness would have been the player he was without Charlton's influence as he was a regular in a nightclub in Grangetown at the time.