oneBoro Forum
OldManGravz

Boro v Reading (A) 2-1(Fletcher, ROBERTS)

40 minutes ago, Foogle said:

^ If anyone doubts that the players care 

Thats pretty much exactly what I did! 😂

So much better when you can see the players actually care. ❤️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Foogle said:

^ If anyone doubts that the players care 

A win bonus will make you do that.

9 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

A win bonus will make you do that.

a bit cynical there 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

But isn't that why clubs have a coaching staff?

To take players with potential and make them decent, or good players and make them better?

At least, I thought that was the point.

In any case, we've signed plenty of supposedly good players in the past and they've performed like donkeys, due to poor management / coaching / wrong playing style etc.

Maybe we should just hire some decent coaches and turn our current motley crew into league champions? 😉

He's 30 years old, isn't he, or near enough anyway.  He doesn't have potential, he's a limited player who we overpaid for and now people want us to give him another contract to compound that mistake.  I'd say it was ridiculous if I hadn't seen the same thing before on here.

4 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

Not to mention signing the wrong championship players and overpaying for them both fee and salary wise 

Johnson certainly has limitations. However, as a squad player and not first choice, he is probably as good as we will be able to afford for that type of player, assuming he wants to accept a salary that reflects that. Also, he came as a winger and was then thrust into wing back and I doubt he got much decent coaching in that position. 

If Warnock And Blackwell offer him a contract then, I’m happy to go along with that.  It would mean they probably think they could improve his defending over time.

Just editing your post slightly.  Don't you see anything problematic at all with what you wrote?

I think Johnson and Shotton fall into the same category. Can put in the occasional good performance but are mostly mediocre. They are also capable of dropping massive clangers that have cost us many a point in the past. 

We will not miss them. 

• Like 3

If he'd re-sign on a decent contract we might need him even if it's just for cover. I don't think Warnock likes Coulson at LB & I'm not convinced Bola plays for us again. George Friend is shot as a LB and his playing days have to be at CB moving forward IMO.

That is to say, from what I can tell, we don't currently even have a LB going into next season. If we can bring in someone better and utilise Coulson as cover, that's fine too.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Brunners said:

If he'd resign on a decent contract we might need him even if it's just for cover. I don't think Warnock likes Coulson at LB & I'm not convinced Bola plays for us again. George Friend is shot as a LB and his playing days have to be at CB moving forward IMO.

That is to say, from what I can tell, we don't currently even have a LB going into next season. If we can bring in someone better and utilise Coulson as cover, that's fine too.

Wish I could resign on a decent contract...but employers generally expect you to work when they pay you. 😜

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Wish I could resign on a decent contract...but employers generally expect you to work when they pay you. 😜

damnit, that's what I get for posting while I'm meant to be doing work :(. Will change, thanks 😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Just editing your post slightly.  Don't you see anything problematic at all with what you wrote?

Are you saying that the bit that was in my original post, that you have left out, is the problem?  That bit was really referring to this seasons signing of Browne, Bola and DijksteeI, but I do know we signed Johnson as a league 1 player and yes, we massively overpaid for him at time, along with all the others.

Doesn't alter fact that he is currently a Boro player and apparently wants to stay - that is only reason why we are even discussing him. Warnock will have had enough games seeing him to judge whether he can improve him - its not quite same as signing him from another club and having to judge whether he will fit in -  and I am happy to go along with what he thinks

I dont think Marv is that bad and wouldnt be suprised if every FM stat was 11. Can play LM and looked ok at RW cutting in so it depends on cost and opportunity cost. Dont think signing him or not will define our season and we have bigger issues than him at the moment