oneBoro Forum

Boro v Cardiff 1-3 (Assombalonga)

3 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Gibson was an excellent CB in the championship in my opinion, probably overrated with regard to huge price tags some placed on him but would definitely be an asset for us now. 

We all talked him up he is one of us but I terms of saying he was the outstanding CB in the league I can’t agree. I would say he could hold his own with many but not exceptional as is proven by his current employment status. 

I could credit him by saying, should he had been at the club this season we would be better off by 6 - 8 points. 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry to poke in. Do us a favour and take all the points, you know you want them. We could be 6th by Saturday afternoon, not that is of interest to you.  Neil Harris still respected in our n

That's the impression I got too. If it is the case, sad way for it to end like, he deserves better than this 😞

Britt pictured after missing an easy chance. Britt pictured after being told his pet dog has died Britt pictured whilst talking about Coronvirus Britt pictured seeing an

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Brunners said:

Interesting, I'd keep Stoj over Pears personally. Pears doesn't fill me with confidence at all and bar the communication thing, I think Stoj does everything either as well, or better than Pears does. Pears flaps at things just as much as Stoj does.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see us ditch both and bring in a new keeper.

I think Stojanovic could come good.  I have far more confidence in him than in Pears and I felt he was starting to adapt to the English game.  From the way he interacted with coaches during breaks in play, he also seemed eager to develop and improve and was open to guidance.  Communication would come with experience and a more stable defensive line up.

9 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

We all talked him up he is one of us but I terms of saying he was the outstanding CB in the league I can’t agree. I would say he could hold his own with many but not exceptional as is proven by his current employment status. 

I could credit him by saying, should he had been at the club this season we would be better off by 6 - 8 points. 

I never mentioned  Gibson being the outstanding CB in the league, I said he was an excellent CB in the championship, as was Ayala and also Lewis Dunk for Brighton, and Michael Keane at Burnley at the time.

59 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I’m sorry to disappoint but I don’t and neither do other clubs believe he is Premiership quality. Like I said I support him more so because he put himself on the line and demanded from others, but he is not exceptional there must be average. Of course he is head and shoulders above what the club is in right now. 

Whether he is currently PL standard is defo up for debate. To say he never has been PL quality is imo incorrect and is not even backed up even by your own logic that no PL club thinks he is PL quality 

Burnley who are a PL team paid a club record fee for him. He has since started 2 games so cant judge him as it seems some of his lack of involvement is due to personal issues with Dyche.

But even then Watford wanted him in Jan so that was another PL club. It is widely reported that blocking his move to Watford was final straw between Dyche and Gibson.

2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Whether he is currently PL standard is defo up for debate. To say he never has been PL quality is imo incorrect and is not even backed up even by your own logic that no PL club thinks he is PL quality 

Burnley who are a PL team paid a club record fee for him. He has since started 2 games so cant judge him as it seems some of his lack of involvement is due to personal issues with Dyche.

But even then Watford wanted him in Jan so that was another PL club. It is widely reported that blocking his move to Watford was final straw between Dyche and Gibson.

My main concern as mentioned is that we can not afford a luxury nor a player whose financial implications could result in a negative aspect towards other targets.

It is also fair to say that we could see the Gibson that Burnley do not want anywhere near their team.

Think that there must be some seriously bad blood between Dyche and Gibson behind the scenes and the Chesterfield game is probably the root cause of it all

4 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

My main concern as mentioned is that we can not afford a luxury nor a player whose financial implications could result in a negative aspect towards other targets.

It is also fair to say that we could see the Gibson that Burnley do not want anywhere near their team.

Think that there must be some seriously bad blood between Dyche and Gibson behind the scenes and the Chesterfield game is probably the root cause of it all

Oh i like most people have reservations about Gibson's return given we are crying poverty at moment 

I think Stoj would have done better with the goals we conceded yesterday. The header and the second should have been saved in my opinion. I think Stoj will be our number 1 next season, but Warnock is looking at Pears to assess his potential going forward. 

6 hours ago, sanddancer said:

He was talked up a lot because he is local and I like Gibson but he was overrated and at best average.

5 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Gibson was an excellent CB in the championship in my opinion, probably overrated with regard to huge price tags some placed on him but would definitely be an asset for us now. 

He was the only player we had who stepped up to the Premier League without an issue.  He was head and shoulders our best player that season, ahead of the likes of Chambers (who is a PL player), Negredo (who has been a PL player) and so on.  His form dropped off after relegation, as did ours in fairness, but to say he was overrated is complete and utter ***.  He had a smashing season in the Premier League when few of our players could cut the mustard and the other central defenders were well behind him so it can't simply be down to us being defensive.  Things haven't worked out for him for whatever reason and it's possible that his window of opportunity to kick on has now gone but I don't get the negativity about him at all really.  The best central defender, in terms of performance level, that we've had over the last decade was Gibson, not Ayala.  Ayala never played at the level Gibson was playing at in the PL but Ayala was almost hero worshipped.  Seems strange to me.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Well that could go along way to explaining why he did not get a game and chased from the ground, but would bad blood really influence his decision and take it out on Ben? 

2 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

I think Stoj would have done better with the goals we conceded yesterday. The header and the second should have been saved in my opinion. I think Stoj will be our number 1 next season, but Warnock is looking at Pears to assess his potential going forward. 

If this is true, which I think you're right on based on his interviews, then its just another reason to not want warnock at this club - who in their right mind would be experimenting with players like that when were still not safe?

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

He was the only player we had who stepped up to the Premier League without an issue.  He was head and shoulders our best player that season, ahead of the likes of Chambers (who is a PL player), Negredo (who has been a PL player) and so on.  His form dropped off after relegation, as did ours in fairness, but to say he was overrated is complete and utter ***.  He had a smashing season in the Premier League when few of our players could cut the mustard and the other central defenders were well behind him so it can't simply be down to us being defensive.  Things haven't worked out for him for whatever reason and it's possible that his window of opportunity to kick on has now gone but I don't get the negativity about him at all really.  The best central defender, in terms of performance level, that we've had over the last decade was Gibson, not Ayala.  Ayala never played at the level Gibson was playing at in the PL but Ayala was almost hero worshipped.  Seems strange to me.

I agree Gibson was superb for us, I think its sometimes a case of disliking someone for the sake of it, the local lad thing to beat him with doesn't hold water. There was figures bandied around on here about £30-35 mill for Gibbo which is ridiculous for any championship CB, so only the price tag was exaggerated about him nothing more. One player doesn't make a team  but I'm convinced with him in defense this season we'd be a bit further up the league, given the defensive howlers we've made.   

4 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I agree Gibson was superb for us, I think its sometimes a case of disliking someone for the sake of it, the local lad thing to beat him with doesn't hold water. There was figures bandied around on here about £30-35 mill for Gibbo which is ridiculous for any championship CB, so only the price tag was exaggerated about him nothing more. One player doesn't make a team  but I'm convinced with him in defense this season we'd be a bit further up the league, given the defensive howlers we've made.   

I think the price tag was based on how he'd played in the Premier League for us really.  It's just that we persuaded him to stick around for a year to try and help us get back up rather than selling him at that point after relegation.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think the price tag was based on how he'd played in the Premier League for us really.  It's just that we persuaded him to stick around for a year to try and help us get back up rather than selling him at that point after relegation.

I never thought Burnley was a good move for him, don't like the club, don't like the manager, I think it is a pity that a better footballing club hadn't come in for Gibbo just think it would have benefited him, I suppose its very easy for me to say now.

I do find it strange how Burnley have come after our two centre backs with Gibson and then Fry. Maybe Dyche likes to look down on us and make out we’re a stepping stone club? 

Regarding Gibson I think we should be able to get him in the summer, if not then it’s strange that he’s been here training. Is he classed as a leader? I would say that he is. And let’s be honest, he is certainly an upgrade on what we have had this season and arguably what we need in the dressing room. 

Whilst we’re not mathematically safe I agree that Warnock shouldn’t be trying things out and testing the water with Pears in goal or Moukoudi in cdm for example, but that’s been and gone. Hopefully we get clarity on the Wigan situation and it’s *** waiting on them to get a deduction and so not the way I’d want to stay up, but here we are staring a relegation in the face, any way will do!