oneBoro Forum

Boro v Cardiff 1-3 (Assombalonga)

sport-preview-middlesbrough.jpg?strip=al

Boro v Cardiff

Saturday 18th July, 3pm, Riverside Stadium

The Form:

Boro come into this one off the back of a victory after coming from behind. I know, I can't believe it either. Fletcher and Roberts hitting a goal in each half to cancel out Liam Moore's opener for Reading. Fletcher's goal was his 13th of the campaign, and he looks to be improving every season. Is the once highly rated youngster finally beginning to show some of his potential? Warnock now has a 50% record in his 6 games for Boro, with the Riverside club rising as high as 17th before tonight's kickoffs. 

Cardiff's beat Derby County last night 2-1, with goals coming from Junior Hoilett and once Boro fan favourite Lee Tomlin, the only player to ever challenge Phil Stamp's record for most parmos eating in an off-season. Tomlin has now made both Wazza and Kompany look like clowns on a football pitch, for anyone keeping count. The win means Cardiff remain sixth and with their play-off hopes in their own hands, they will be raring to go against the mighty Boro on Saturday.

The Line Up:

Why change a winning team?

42 Pears

2 Dijksteel

6 Fry

3 Friend

21 Johnson

16 Howson

22 Saville

29 Spence

19 Roberts

7 Tavernier

11 Fletcher

Warnock's Words of Wonder:
*Will update this after the press conference. This time. If I remember. 

For now, please enjoy this gif of the man himself, (while coaching Cardiff, I have just realised. Ties the thread together nicely):

Sport Warnock GIF by nss sports

The View From The Otherside:

The Cardiff fans can be found discussing the match here..... Shockingly, none have gone for a Boro win in their poll!

• Like 3
  • Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry to poke in. Do us a favour and take all the points, you know you want them. We could be 6th by Saturday afternoon, not that is of interest to you.  Neil Harris still respected in our n

That's the impression I got too. If it is the case, sad way for it to end like, he deserves better than this 😞

Britt pictured after missing an easy chance. Britt pictured after being told his pet dog has died Britt pictured whilst talking about Coronvirus Britt pictured seeing an

Posted Images

I actually would change the team. Being unchanged means nothing...as we showed v Bristol.

I would bring in Britt for Fletcher just to give some fresh legs up top and both men are in form so should be ok. Roberts and Tav need to stay in.

Pears

Dijk Fry Friend

Spence Howson Sav Marv

Roberts Britt Tav

I dont think we will get anything from this game. Cardiff are bang in form and we are due a loss as we won last time out.

My focus is one of the other teams slippjng up to ensure our survival

Come on make my day and prove me wrong by taking the 3 points, I dare you to make me delirious with excitement I drink to much and have a hangover the following day. I dare you to put a smile on my face the wife thinks I’m up to something. 

• Haha 2

wonder what the odds are for goals from Bennett, Flint and Tomlin?.....think we actually might grab something here....if anybody knows their weaknesses, it has to be Warnock and their need to make sure of the playoffs means that they might allow us to catch them on break....whoever plays up front needs to be mobile and able to hold their own with Morrison, so would start with Fletch and Roberts ....and ask Sav to let Tomlin know that he won't be allowed the freedom Rooney gave him. Although I don't think anyone deserves to be dropped after the display at Reading, if there are changes, it will probably be because Warnock wants to exploit one of their weaknesses...but the one thing we have to avoid is making our GD anywhere near those below us...it might be important

Whilst the game itself does not fall into the realms of my seldom used phrase, and I recognise at the time of writing that technically we are looking forward to one more point,which may very well change, to ensure Champ status next season, lets be truthful that our home form this season has been nothing short of disgraceful!

No better game than this (seeing as there are no more) to get our first home win of 2020 than against Warnock's old team and one whereupon at least 3 ex players can score against us!

Will take a point right now because it will show we can compete with a team fighting for furtherment this season but I do so hope that our team will want to sign off at home with a win!

Whilst there will be no "parade" to the fans after he match at least give some glimmer of encouragment that home form can improve.

To me a must not lose match

Hull blown apart 8-0 so how the hell did they beat us.. Anyway last game at home and because Cardiff badly need the points to ensure a playoff they will be up and ready for a battle to the death. With all respect they must be odds on to win but honestly there is something in me that thinks we are in for a draw. 

Hopefully Hull and Luton draw, then nothing else matters.

I could see us getting something here, I expect Warnock will be up for it and well versed in their tricks.

They might be fairly happy with a point, as we would be, given they play an absolutely horrific Hull on the final day.

Tav for McNair would be the only change I would like to see.

I can't see anything but defeat if I am honest. What will count is by how many goals. Damage limitation is a must. That goal difference could be very important going into the final game of the season.

Boro V Cardiff. Away win

Hudds V WBA. Away win

Charlton V Wigan. Away win

Stoke V Brentford. Away win

Hull V Luton. Away win

PNE V B'ham. Home win

A lot is going to depend on what Boro turns up. But looking at the other fixtures I don't expect much change at the bottom of the table. Though I do see Luton gaining some ground which could make the final game of the season a very nervy affair for all involved.

I would be very happy if we just shut up shop and got a point from this. Then I believe the weight challenged lady can burst a lung.

As a footnote. I disagree with DS. 😉 I do think this game falls into that category. Because the results for other teams this weekend will very much influence what sides those teams in the play off positions put out on the last day.

B'ham V Derby. Derby will have nothing to play for so a good opportunity for B'ham.

Cardiff V Hull.  Cardiff may be secure in a play off place so will field a weakened side.

Millwall V Hudd's. Millwall could be suffering a hangover from missing out on the play offs.

Forest V Stoke. Same scenario as Cardiff.

Luton V Blackburn. Luton could very well win this.

A lot of permutations I know. But we are not safe yet. We need a point from this game or it could be a real nail biter next week. The only guarantee is that Monk will throw everything at us.

Edited by BoroAbroad
rethink

Don't have much hope for this one...unsurprisingly.

As has been said, Cardiff are still aiming for the play-offs, so have everything to play for. Quite honestly I expect them to run rings round us and cruise to a comfortable victory.

The one chink in their armour is that their recent form has been...mixed (W2 D1 L2). They lost away at Fulham...not so surprising, but also got beaten 2-3 at home by Blackburn. So another slip up is not totally out of the question...the odds aren't good though.

Taking a relaxed attitude to this one. If we lose I won't be too bothered. Last game is away...against another mid-table team with nothing to play for, so we could still increase our tally.

Have a feeling Warnock's team selection could reflect this kind of thinking.

Prediction: Boro 1 - 3 Cardiff

Some players looked exhausted on Tuesday. Perhaps controversial, but I'd rest Roberts for the Sheff Wed game. Who knows, maybe a relegated Sheff Wed by next match if certain rumours are to be believed. Play him last 30 mins if need be. Britt, McNair, maybe Clayton to come in as fresh legs too.

As long as there is at least some pace to break with, say Coulson and Tav, I think we have to keep it tight and frustrate Cardiff as best as possible - a point keeps us up so we should fight with that in mind.

Reading and Bristol C both took us apart on the break, Cardiff will too if they get the chance. Even if we fall behind, when its only one you've always got a shot at a point. 

• Like 1