oneBoro Forum

All or nothing

Well, A draw on Saturday is definitely enough

Barnsley  and either Hull or Luton are definitely going to finish behind us.  Barnsley can only get 49 points now.

Luton and Hull play Saturday. If they draw, they will both finish lower than Boro, with maximum 49 points  each and we are definitely safe even if we lose on Saturday.. If there is a winner then the loser can only get 48 points and  finishes lower than Boro, The winner can only get 51 points and have vastly inferior goal differences to Boro, so a draw for us keeps us safe.

By the time we play, we will also know result of Wigan v Charlton match. If Wigan don’t overturn their points deduction, then they need to beat Charlton.  Otherwise they will finish below us. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

Well, A draw on Saturday is definitely enough

Barnsley  and either Hull or Luton are definitely going to finish behind us.  Barnsley can only get 49 points now.

Luton and Hull play Saturday. If they draw, they will both finish lower than Boro, with maximum 49 points  each and we are definitely safe even if we lose on Saturday.. If there is a winner then the loser can only get 48 points and  finishes lower than Boro, The winner can only get 51 points and have vastly inferior goal differences to Boro, so a draw for us keeps us safe.

By the time we play, we will also know result of Wigan v Charlton match. If Wigan don’t overturn their points deduction, then they need to beat Charlton.  Otherwise they will finish below us. 

The absurdity is Wigan haven't even officially been given a points deduction yet, let alone appealed it or had it overturned. They're still 13th in the table.

The EFL really couldn't organise the imbibing of alcoholic beverages in a liquor production facility. And don't get me started on Sheffield Wednesday's 12-or-21-or-nothing-at-all 'deduction'.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

The absurdity is Wigan haven't even officially been given a points deduction yet, let alone appealed it or had it overturned. They're still 13th in the table.

The EFL really couldn't organise the imbibing of alcoholic beverages in a liquor production facility. And don't get me started on Sheffield Wednesday's 12-or-21-or-nothing-at-all 'deduction'.

If you read the rules, it says that the points deduction will be imposed at the end of the season if the clun hasnt already been relegated by normal means. If they are in the bottom three, the points will be deducted the following season and they will start off on -12 points. The only thing is they can appeal, which they have done and all relevant evidence of their reasons for appeal had to be in last Friday. I presume then that the appeal process is being carried out now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

According to a BBC article last week, the club HAVE actually already lodged an appeal against the points deduction...basically on the grounds that it was the coronavirus pandemic that pushed the club into administration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53318930

So...nothing to do with being poorly run before then?

Strange times when clubs are appealing against things which haven't officially happened yet! But good spot - I'd missed that story last week.

And yes, it's a pretty feeble defence to complain about the pandemic putting Wigan into administration, when the takeover itself happened months after lockdown. It'd be like writing to British Gas three months after the apocalypse, complaining that your gas supply's been cut off.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

According to a BBC article last week, the club HAVE actually already lodged an appeal against the points deduction...basically on the grounds that it was the coronavirus pandemic that pushed the club into administration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53318930

So...nothing to do with being poorly run before then?

I think they're going to struggle to save themselves if their grounds for appeal are the pandemic. I do think whoever takes over may want to take the EFL to town over it, though.

• Like 1