oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

Someone mentioned Eddie Howe.

He would be excellent, but would need 3 years minimum.

The biggest mistake we made was to sack Karanka when we did. It's been an absolute *** show since then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

👀Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

I hope we go down a more progressive route after Warnock whether that be the end of this season or next.

The squad we have is actually very well suited to playing progressive football with Fry and McNair at CB both very comfortable on the ball.

Everyone knew NW wasn’t a long term option and the club should be planning now to ensure they get it right, although I’m more hopeful of winning the lottery to be honest. 

The whole episode before Woodgate claiming Gibbo wanted more attacking style of play was the right thing to do. But changing from managers like Pulis required a manager experienced and successful in playing the way we wanted (a Jokanovic for example 🤐

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Someone mentioned Eddie Howe.

He would be excellent, but would need 3 years minimum.

The biggest mistake we made was to sack Karanka when we did. It's been an absolute *** show since then.

Our last 4 managers have been utterly uninspiring. The last 3 have been one dimensional and highly predictable. We need a manager with real intelligence that can read a game and actually manage the match rather than just play in a set style and hope for the best. 

• Like 3

I said in another thread I like the Barnsley manager. Still early days but doing a great job.

I think I would give Warnock another season.

A full ‘normal’ preseason and a transfer window with more wiggle room with big earners off the books and a ton of freebies should all play into his wheelhouse.

i dont think its so much a question of wether Warnock should stay here ,more of ishe really ready to throw himself FULLY into the challenge? because i get the feeling he hasnt  fallen completely head over hels with  us as he did at cardiff and sheff utd inparticular.  hes won me over in my general opinion of him as a manager and arrested the freefall Woody led us into, but theres a lack of total warnock enthusiasm thus far.  whoever we go forward with needs more from the board ,more from the players and needs the fans on board from the start. weve climbed a few rungs of the ladder from bottom to middle and  we can  climb the top set of rungs wirhin 2to 3 seasons  with the right decisions and attitude.  

• Like 2

I don't think he's the future. He's the answer for this season but I'd like us to move forward. We're largely atrocious to watch ad that's not going to happen. This summer will be a good foundation for someone new to start. The big earners will be gone and we have a decent spine to build on. 

• Like 2

What I can't figure out about Warnock is he inherited Woodgate's shambolic aftermath and got us four wins on the spin with a weaker squad than we've got now. This is increasingly his team, and yet the tactics are becoming increasingly woeful. We have players who can string a few passes together, yet it's like they're being told specifically not to. Get the ball, gift it to the opposition, wait to get it back, gift it.

I like him as a man, but as a Boro manager, Warnock is falling a long way short at present, and I can't help feeling it's largely self-inflicted. Yes, we have key players out, but come on, these are seasoned professional footballers hoofing the ball into row Z rather than trying to play a pass. And I can only speculate what voodoo curse Bettinelli has over Warnock, but it must be a belter.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-plan-ahead-steve-19844026

Any one read this? I feel its 50/50 he stays on managing, maybe he takes a different role. 

I'm getting mixed messages from it.

On the one hand he's saying at his time of life he doesn't look too far forward, but elsewhere he says the club needs to make some changes to gear up for the future.

Ultimately you have to think the club's finances will largely determine what changes can be made and how far they can go with them. Unfortunately for us I don't think the club's finances are going to improve hugely over the next season or two. Recovering from the pandemic is likely to take a few seasons at least.

Even when fans are allowed back in the stadium, you have to think the crowds will be lower than usual as people simply won't have the money.

So I feel any changes over the next couple of seasons will be fairly limited. 

The other "ultimate" factor is Warnock's age, together with his energy and enthusiasm. I would be amazed if he stays longer than another season or two (at least as manager).

Which begs the question: how much money will Gibson be prepared to let NW spend, with the knowledge he might not be here much longer?

Would Warnock even be interested in a DoF role? Who knows? I think his experience and contacts in the footballing world could be useful in that regard.

That said, if and when he steps down, I'd still want an experienced and capable replacement...not some rookie who would need mentoring.

Also have mixed feelings about Warnock staying on. I definitely am becoming less and less enthusiastic about him as a manager, but while the club is operating with such financial restrictions, we're unlikely to find anyone better. If nothing else, he will likely at least keep us comfortably in the Championship.

• Like 1

“I'd like to see now if I can get a system where we can create more chances because we don't look like we're going to score many at the minute."

I'm guessing this quote from NW means we are stepping up our hoofing from 75% to a 100%. Might aswell just play Grant Hall up front.

• Like 1