oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

Some great words of wisdom there @p_mards

inspiring tim tebow GIF by Home Free

A real, workable long-term plan is something Boro have lacked for a long time.

I guess when you have cash to splash, you can afford to think more short term and spend your way out of trouble. But I'd hope the board are waking up to the fact that now the club needs a clear and realistic roadmap for the next 5-10 years.

Not necessarily involving promotion, but simply getting the club on a sound financial footing, improving our scouting & recruitment processes and making managerial & coaching appointments that will genuinely improve our squad, technically, tactically & mentally.

Regarding Warnock, he's probably the best we can hope to get at the moment and I think he can do a reasonable job of steering us through the next season or two. But he isn't a long-term appointment, so I'd hope the board are also looking at potential successors.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

đź‘€Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

Maybe the answer is staring us in the face? Is it likely that Blackwell and Jepson could provide the longer term continuity when Warnock decides to ease into retirement?

It would be a seamless transition and clearly the pair of them buy into the Warnock way and it is very unlikely that after Boro NW will pop up somewhere else and ask for his trusty Lieutenant's to join him? That would leave them looking for gainful employment unless they remained at the Riverside and kept building on Warnock's foundations. I think Blackwell is around ten years younger than Warnock and Jepson around fifteen years younger.

It is maybe not music to the ears of fans who want "entertaining" football but continuity is one of the major things that has done for us over the years. Constant flip flopping of managers, styles and squads where we have this seemingly eternal incomplete mismatch, the right manager but the wrong squad or an expensive squad but the wrong manager. Considering the very real financial impact of Covid on life and business in general for at least ten years to come I'd expect that continuity would keep costs under control whilst maximising the potential that we do have (rather than we crave) and avoid the serious risk of starting the (unsuccessful) cycle all over again.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Maybe the answer is staring us in the face? Is it likely that Blackwell and Jepson could provide the longer term continuity when Warnock decides to ease into retirement?

It would be a seamless transition and clearly the pair of them buy into the Warnock way and it is very unlikely that after Boro NW will pop up somewhere else and ask for his trusty Lieutenant's to join him? That would leave them looking for gainful employment unless they remained at the Riverside and kept building on Warnock's foundations. I think Blackwell is around ten years younger than Warnock and Jepson around fifteen years younger.

It is maybe not music to the ears of fans who want "entertaining" football but continuity is one of the major things that has done for us over the years. Constant flip flopping of managers, styles and squads where we have this seemingly eternal incomplete mismatch, the right manager but the wrong squad or an expensive squad but the wrong manager. Considering the very real financial impact of Covid on life and business in general for at least ten years to come I'd expect that continuity would keep costs under control whilst maximising the potential that we do have (rather than we crave) and avoid the serious risk of starting the (unsuccessful) cycle all over again.

This makes a lot of sense RR and something that I think is being discussed by all concerned. Over the last few years we have switched managers, coaching staff, players, style and vision so many times I am frankly dizzy, and where has it got us, skint and mid table. Let us try and build on the foundations Warnock has set in place with this team and let him have a say in a part time role, surely it cannot be worse that chucking everyone out again and bringing in yet another regime.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Hmm...well it would certainly give us stability.

But I can't say I'm thrilled about the prospect of years more of Warnock-ball.

I think I'd prefer one more round of "all-change" before hopefully settling into a more long-term approach.

• Like 2

I don't know if it's been mentioned (can't be bothered to read that far back) but I think we should consider Warnock as director of football/consultant and bringing in a young(er) manager who buys into the same philosophy and can be moulded into a mini-Warnock.

I'm going to have bloody nightmares about the last few messages. Years more of watching the same rubbish. Honestly the only thing keeping me going is that Warnock can't have too many more years managing left in him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Angry 1
38 minutes ago, Will said:

The Cowley's working under Warnock might be an interesting prospect to consider.

The Cowley's style of football at Lincoln has really big overlaps/similarities to Warnock's style here at the moment. So from a point of view of continuity, it could well be a good fit, especially if Warnock move to an advisory/DoF role. But if you are expecting a complete move away from this current style, I'm not sure that'll happen. 

What I will say is they do have some fluidity when it comes to their tactical set up, that can be seen in a shift in style (and their signings) towards the end of their time at Lincoln and also slightly at Huddersfield too. If we are looking for an evolution over a period of time, them coming in as Head coaches/Managers and having Warnock upstairs (so to speak) has potential.

Warnock and his coaching staff should be nowhere near our long-term planning.

You cannot have your footballing philosophy in the year of our lord 2021 anno domini be to kick the wee round thing into the channels and cross cross cross. It just won't get us anywhere.

Warnock as director of football? No ta. We would constantly be bringing in "big strong strikers" and "hard working midfielders" and "centre backs who can score off a corner" rather than football players, which is the primary reason we're in the situation we are in now.

Answer for me is easy; German coach. German style. High line, counter-press, wide overlaps and rotational movement up top. That's how football teams succeed these days. Tactical innovation, sports science, not just the age-old platitudes of "we need to work a bit harder" or "the ball just didn't drop for us".

Unfortunately, this is all just a pipe dream for me and I am 99% confident we will hire another English journeyman after Warnock. Wouldn't trust Gibson to run my bath at this point.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
56 minutes ago, Will said:

The Cowley's working under Warnock might be an interesting prospect to consider.

They've often been mentioned but from what I can read I'm not sure that they sound particularly appealing. Did a good job at Lincoln but failed at Huddersfield and were ultimately sacked winning only a third of their games and losing more games. They sound direct though so could be right up Warnocks alley. I really can't get the fuss about them.

1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Warnock and his coaching staff should be nowhere near our long-term planning.

You cannot have your footballing philosophy in the year of our lord 2021 anno domini be to kick the wee round thing into the channels and cross cross cross. It just won't get us anywhere.

Warnock as director of football? No ta. We would constantly be bringing in "big strong strikers" and "hard working midfielders" and "centre backs who can score off a corner" rather than football players, which is the primary reason we're in the situation we are in now.

Answer for me is easy; German coach. German style. High line, counter-press, wide overlaps and rotational movement up top. That's how football teams succeed these days. Tactical innovation, sports science, not just the age-old platitudes of "we need to work a bit harder" or "the ball just didn't drop for us".

Unfortunately, this is all just a pipe dream for me and I am 99% confident we will hire another English journeyman after Warnock. Wouldn't trust Gibson to run my bath at this point.

Wide overlaps surely lead to cross, cross, cross?

• Haha 1
Just now, Will said:

Wide overlaps surely lead to cross, cross, cross?

No, they allow you to create overloads in wide areas whereby you control the ball and force the opposition to react to your movement.

It gives the wide-man the opportunity to cut inside into the space previously occupied by the full back who is now busy trying to cover your overlapping wing-back.

It gives the wing-back the opportunity to recycle the ball in-field to exploit the space that the opposition team has been forced to vacate as they shift their entire defence across to cover the side where you are overloading.

It's attacking football at its most basic. Pass and move. Overload. Shift and switch play. All the things we haven't done for 5 years, and the reason we have been a toothless attacking outfit for that entire time.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

They've often been mentioned but from what I can read I'm not sure that they sound particularly appealing. Did a good job at Lincoln but failed at Huddersfield and were ultimately sacked winning only a third of their games and losing more games. They sound direct though so could be right up Warnocks alley. I really can't get the fuss about them.

Not sure judging them on Huddersfield is fair, they were brought in to keep them up, they did it, then they were thrown on the dump because the chairman didn't actually want to play that way.