oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

On 2/14/2021 at 4:52 PM, TheJew said:

Someone mentioned Eddie Howe.

He would be excellent, but would need 3 years minimum.

The biggest mistake we made was to sack Karanka when we did. It's been an absolute *** show since then.

Second biggest mistake was sacking Southgate when we did. 

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

👀Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

Southgate was another cheap option during a time when finances were being tightened after the excesses of McClaren had left us with a squad full of ageing has beens with no resale value.

I don't think the decision to sell Schwarzer was Southgate's and came from higher up

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-schwarzer-opens-up-middlesbrough-18194707

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

True, should have been gone the moment relegation was confirmed, if not before.

Southgate should have been sacked after our second season while we were still a Premier league club. 

The rot had set in by then but an experienced manager might have been able to turn it around. 

The season Southgate was appointed I was in a bookies just before our1st game of the season, I always remember one of the headlines "back Boro at 8/1 to be relegated with the inexperienced Southgate in charge" everyone could see what was going to happen apart from our  chairman.

• Like 1

The perfect scenario is to create a new long-term club structure which involves appointing a director of football and head coach. I know this will be absolutely unfathomable to Steve Gibson, but both appointments need to be based upon merit. When appointing the director of football, we'd need someone external like Peter Kenyon to oversee the process and for Gibson to actually listen to their advice, and then Gibson take a step back and let the director of football work without him breathing down his neck. Then the head coach would need to appointed by the director of football to fit into his template; Much in the way Norwich appointed Stewart Webber and then he appointed Daniel Farke. Norwich's owners, including Delia Smith, recognise that they aren't football experts so delegate these key decisions to Stuart Webber. Gibson just rates himself too highly to do this unfortunately.

I'm sure there'll be some excellent candidates for the director of football role from the lower Championship teams and League One. Considering the job Orta has done at Leeds and, in comparison, the complete lack of a plan that we've had since 2017 with Karnka to Monk to Pulis to Woodgate to Warnock, we'd have been by far better off keeping him. Gibson should look back at his own mini-Brexit of "taking back control" from them damn pesky European's as highlighting his own unescapable failings at making key strategic football decisions.

However, whilst that's the perfect scenario, it's absolutely beyond the realms of possibility as Gibson doesn't have the ability to hand over power and let things operate outside of his control. All the new, exciting, attack-minded football promises have shrivelled and died after a very short while. Monk's was 26 games and Woodgate's was 41 games so I dread to imagine how long the next over ambitious promise lasts for. For the time being I'm happy to give Warnock as long as he wants as I'm terrified of the mess Gibson will make after him. There's going to be a mess created after Warnock leaves, regardless  - I'd just rather we got promoted under Warnock first.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Southgate was another cheap option during a time when finances were being tightened after the excesses of McClaren had left us with a squad full of ageing has beens with no resale value.

I don't think the decision to sell Schwarzer was Southgate's and came from higher up

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-schwarzer-opens-up-middlesbrough-18194707

Thats more or less how I remember it.

Southgate, although being a rookie and his inexperience being at least partly to blame, was also something of a sacrificial lamb. The fall guy for the club's financial restructuring. 

I think he was given a rather thankless task (like a couple of more recent ones), but I still believe he was showing promise as a Championship level manager.

Anyway...LOTS of water under the bridge since then...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, p_mards said:

Warnock to have a meeting with Gibson next week in which his future will be discussed:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-steve-gibson-meet-19920911

Sounds like the writing is on the wall for Warnock, I’m not surprised after our recent home results, I wonder who Gibbo’s got lined up. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Sounds like the writing is on the wall for Warnock, I’m not surprised after our recent home results, I wonder who Gibbo’s got lined up. 

I doubt very much if Gibbo can afford to have anyone lined up at the minute or to see yet another massive overhaul in the current financial climate. More likely to see Woodgate back for Golden Thread the sequel!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I doubt very much if Gibbo can afford to have anyone lined up at the minute or to see yet another massive overhaul in the current financial climate. More likely to see Woodgate back for Golden Thread the sequel!

Our performances and results have been hugely inconsistent, but I'd also be very surprised if Gibson is already lining up a replacement...even allowing for the fact Warnock is not a long-term appointment.

I don't expect him to be here much more than another season or two at most, but this seems rather premature.

I would expect Gibson wants to lay out the club's financial future, as he sees it and discuss how that will dovetail with the footballing side.

Interesting to note that NW has offered his services in an "advisory role" once he decides to call it a day as a manager. Guess there is something to those rumours about him taking up a DoF post after all.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Our performances and results have been hugely inconsistent, but I'd also be very surprised if Gibson is already lining up a replacement...even allowing for the fact Warnock is not a long-term appointment.

I don't expect him to be here much more than another season or two at most, but this seems rather premature.

I would expect Gibson wants to lay out the club's financial future, as he sees it and discuss how that will dovetail with the footballing side.

Interesting to note that NW has offered his services in an "advisory role" once he decides to call it a day as a manager. Guess there is something to those rumours about him taking up a DoF post after all.

At most I would think that they may discuss succession planning to allow for continuity rather than more crash and burn appointments. If that is the case I would hope that Warnock has the final say rather than SG.