oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

5 hours ago, Humpty said:

Why do you ask?

Nothing important mate. I had it in my head for ages that you were and kept meaning to ask what you wrote about. The thought popped back into my head yesterday.  I might have mixed you up with someone else though?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

👀Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Nothing important mate. I had it in my head for ages that you were and kept meaning to ask what you wrote about. The thought popped back into my head yesterday.  I might have mixed you up with someone else though?

I'm not. I've written for the Gazette, the club programme, FMTTM and various websites but not in any professional capacity.

• Wow 1
18 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I'm not. I've written for the Gazette, the club programme, FMTTM and various websites but not in any professional capacity.

Not sure why I thought you were then unless it was those things and I just assumed you must be.  Cheers anyway.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

A very good article on Stuart Webber. He's completely out of our league but we have desperately needed someone like him for well over a decade. Whenever Warnock leaves we need to have a complete restructure by appointing someone like Webber to transition us into an efficient, forward-thinking club:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/stuart-webber-norwich-city-four-year-anniversary-7875060

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long term vision? That’s a laughable question when it comes to Gibson and Boro. I don’t think we’ve ever had a long term vision under Gibson. And the appointment, and continuing backing, of Warnock just highlights how short sighted Gibson really is.  

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 12:34 AM, Redcar Rioja said:

Whilst there is no doubt there is some truth in all that Pulis refused to play Bamford until he had to and then it was Bamford's goals that got us into the play offs. Bamford got concussed just before them after landing on his back in a game and was taken to the hospital as a precaution, he returned to the Riverside quickly the same afternoon seemingly without serious after effects. He was then seemingly dispensed with by Pulis who instead reverted to his non scoring strikers and those two spineless games against Villa saw Bamford ignored with even an injured Gestede preferred.

A chance to reach the Premiership and £120 to £150 Million to swell the coffers and our best and most capable Striker was ignored. Had Pulis played Paddy against Villa Gibson and the accountants might not have had to worry that summer about finances at all.

Makes you want to spit feathers, doesn't it? 😡

A good manager is supposed to be objective and pick his best players. They're also supposed to be a good enough man manager to maintain decent relationships with them.

Was Bamford known to be a difficult player to manage, or was Pulis just being a blinkered muppet?

Favouritism is the bane of football clubs. The favoured ones start putting less effort in because they know they'll get picked regardless and the ones frozen out stop putting the effort in because they know there's no point.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:25 AM, Blanco said:

He’s looking for someone to put together a biography of his wittiness on oneBoro

I've got a spare envelope he could use the back of... 🤪

I seem to remember that the last time we had a long term vision was in the Robson era when they built the training facilities and talked about strengthening the academy so we could develop our own talent. We sort of also had a long term vision under McLaren but that was just "spend beyond our means" and that was dropped from one season to the other starting the long decline. We revived that a bit under AK but then went full retard from january in the prem. And you should never go full retard. Since then we've been appalingly run but I suppose we can count ourselves lucky that we are not in the shoes of Sunderland, Hull and Bolton. That's probably the silver lining.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I seem to remember that the last time we had a long term vision was in the Robson era when they built the training facilities and talked about strengthening the academy so we could develop our own talent. We sort of also had a long term vision under McLaren but that was just "spend beyond our means" and that was dropped from one season to the other starting the long decline. We revived that a bit under AK but then went full retard from january in the prem. And you should never go full retard. Since then we've been appalingly run but I suppose we can count ourselves lucky that we are not in the shoes of Sunderland, Hull and Bolton. That's probably the silver lining.

Wouldn't bet against one of Hull or Sunderland finishing above us next season 😬

As you say though, it's lack of a long term vision rather than being an all round badly run club. Feels like death from a thousand cuts with Boro rather than one or two disastrous decisions.

Although entrusting Monk with the most transfer money we're ever likely to have again does stand out as decade defining idiocy. That will always be the sliding doors moment that really gets me down... what could have been if a competent 'man with a plan' like Dean Smith or Farke got that war chest and fired us back up. 

• Like 1

Id rather have Gibson as owner, but someone more effective doing the running of it. Having someone with the clubs best interests at heart is probably something we take for granted and changing that could go Man City or Bolton.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, ChipBarrington said:

Id rather have Gibson as owner, but someone more effective doing the running of it. Having someone with the clubs best interests at heart is probably something we take for granted and changing that could go Man City or Bolton.

All it really takes is Gibson to accept that neither him nor Bausor are effective enough in running the football side of things and to even try to find someone who can. That would be progress. I'd still be happy to have Gibson in charge of the club, ensuring it never went under, so long as he can give up enough power over to someone who knows how to develop a modern football club.

I can't say his recent experiences will have made him any more open to that, though. Tony Pulis coming out and saying it's great having a direct line to the chairman rather than having to go through another person has probably just reinforced his idea of how a club should be ran. I imagine him and Pulis in a room together just reinforce each other's age-old beliefs, two men who need to stop living in the past.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

All it really takes is Gibson to accept that neither him nor Bausor are effective enough in running the football side of things and to even try to find someone who can. That would be progress. I'd still be happy to have Gibson in charge of the club, ensuring it never went under, so long as he can give up enough power over to someone who knows how to develop a modern football club.

I can't say his recent experiences will have made him any more open to that, though. Tony Pulis coming out and saying it's great having a direct line to the chairman rather than having to go through another person has probably just reinforced his idea of how a club should be ran. I imagine him and Pulis in a room together just reinforce each other's age-old beliefs, two men who need to stop living in the past.

Many years ago I was "enticed" into joining a family run business where the owner had suffered a few minor heart attacks and wanted to step away and spend more time on the Golf course. I lasted nine months, the guy couldn't give up control and was even more hands on than he had been previously. When anything was changed that he didn't know about he became paranoid. In the end we sat down over a cup of coffee where I said that either he goes or I go and as it was his business then it was an obvious and easy decision, we shook hands and I departed. 

I suspect SG is cut from the same cloth but even more entrenched in that he couldn't even countenance bringing someone else in. The guy I worked for was a really nice guy but he just couldn't relinquish control and hand the reins over. During my time productivity went up over 30%, costs came down dramatically and correspondingly his profits went up noticeably but they weren't the measurements that he was using in his mindset.

I dare say if SG did try it and we won the Championship by Easter and stormed into the Champions League a year later he would stick with it but I also suspect that there would be that little niggle in his mind that somebody else was getting the recognition for something that he owned and cracks would quickly appear. It's an emotive rather than a rational form of behaviour and something unlikely to change unless and until ill health forces him to accept that he just can't do it any more.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Many years ago I was "enticed" into joining a family run business where the owner had suffered a few minor heart attacks and wanted to step away and spend more time on the Golf course. I lasted nine months, the guy couldn't give up control and was even more hands on than he had been previously. When anything was changed that he didn't know about he became paranoid. In the end we sat down over a cup of coffee where I said that either he goes or I go and as it was his business then it was an obvious and easy decision, we shook hands and I departed. 

I suspect SG is cut from the same cloth but even more entrenched in that he couldn't even countenance bringing someone else in. The guy I worked for was a really nice guy but he just couldn't relinquish control and hand the reins over. During my time productivity went up over 30%, costs came down dramatically and correspondingly his profits went up noticeably but they weren't the measurements that he was using in his mindset.

I dare say if SG did try it and we won the Championship by Easter and stormed into the Champions League a year later he would stick with it but I also suspect that there would be that little niggle in his mind that somebody else was getting the recognition for something that he owned and cracks would quickly appear. It's an emotive rather than a rational form of behaviour and something unlikely to change unless and until ill health forces him to accept that he just can't do it any more.

Yeah, I can understand how that might be a similar thing to this. And maybe we've already seen that with the introduction and shortly later the exit of Adrian Bevington?

I'd still say his credentials for that role were very much in question and there's enough to consider there that might show he wasn't the right man for the job. But it's that he left and nobody else came in that perhaps speaks louder than the fact someone of his individual experiences was there to begin with.

• Like 1