oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

👀Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

People being thankful for Steve Gibson with this ESL launching. Wasn't he fully in support of giving the top 6 clubs all the power when he was all pally with Parry about a breakaway league? He's propsing the exact same thing as the big 6 to clubs further down the league and football pyramid?

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Reiziger's contract expires with Ajax this Summer, might be a good time to get him on board in some capacity. He is 47 years old now so he wouldn't be a gullible Manager and has been at Ajax, Milan, Barca and of course the mighty Boro  during his playing career. 

Now that would get me excited about watching Boro again! 👍

1 hour ago, nunthorpered said:

People being thankful for Steve Gibson with this ESL launching. Wasn't he fully in support of giving the top 6 clubs all the power when he was all pally with Parry about a breakaway league? He's propsing the exact same thing as the big 6 to clubs further down the league and football pyramid?

From memory he was in favour of that because at the time the PL clubs were willing to pay lower league teams money, was it not? So he was getting something out of it hence why he was in favour of it.

But yes, your point is valid!

• Like 2
On 4/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, Redcar Rioja said:

I was reading through a thread from December 2019 and you could literally cut and paste the discussions then about appointing a DOF to the present day. Maybe Karanka might make a good DOF keeping him away from day to day relations with players or Mogga if Rovers decide to part company. I'd imagine Mowbray would be the more comfortable fit with SG. 

Mowbray would be your man. Karanka is too much of a control freak.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:21 PM, Brunners said:

From memory he was in favour of that because at the time the PL clubs were willing to pay lower league teams money, was it not? So he was getting something out of it hence why he was in favour of it.

But yes, your point is valid!

I was gonna say something similar yesterday. Maybe the reason we never heard from Gibson is because he wanted to know more about how this was going to trickle down from the ESL to smaller clubs. There seemed to be absolutely no clarification on that from the proposals for the ESL, I think Perez in his interview said something along the lines of "Let us get the money first then we can help". Which has always worked throughout history, right?

• Haha 2
26 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I was gonna say something similar yesterday. Maybe the reason we never heard from Gibson is because he wanted to know more about how this was going to trickle down from the ESL to smaller clubs. There seemed to be absolutely no clarification on that from the proposals for the ESL, I think Perez in his interview said something along the lines of "Let us get the money first then we can help". Which has always worked throughout history, right?

"Lets see how many billions we can rake in from our grand scheme, then decide if we want to give any to the poor peasant clubs trapped in their domestic leagues". 🤑💰

• Like 1
On 4/18/2021 at 8:11 PM, Redcar Rioja said:

Reiziger's contract expires with Ajax this Summer, might be a good time to get him on board in some capacity. He is 47 years old now so he wouldn't be a gullible Manager and has been at Ajax, Milan, Barca and of course the mighty Boro  during his playing career. 

Don't really know why, but since the summer he was first mentioned when Woodgate was hired his name has always appealed to me.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Will said:

Don't really know why, but since the summer he was first mentioned when Woodgate was hired his name has always appealed to me.

Same here.

Like Karanka before he joined us, he's only been an assistant, but I like the idea of him bringing some Dutch football culture to the Riverside.

He played for some top teams in his time...Ajax, Barcelona, Milan...Boro 😁 so I'd hope that he'd bring that kind of playing philosophy and work ethic with him.

• Like 1

Think Warnock will be given free reign in the summer on incoming players, Gibson wont forget he kept us up last year. I expected him to walk during the season if things went sideway and with COVID pandemic given his age. Expect there will be a number of players outgoing in the summer. There was some talk on forums that he wants Freddie Ladapo in the summer and will use Lewis Wing as part of a deal.

Just listening to Warnock in his pre match press conference and I get the feeling he was hinting at still being at the club when his coaching days are over, I wonder if he will be making the step up to some sort of DoF  role after next season?

6 minutes ago, mj south said:

Just listening to Warnock in his pre match press conference and I get the feeling he was hinting at still being at the club when his coaching days are over, I wonder if he will be making the step up to some sort of DoF  role after next season?

I would guess that he wouldn't be first choice as DOF for many on here but he would most definitely make better footballing decisions than the current incumbent/s who aren't DOF's.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I would guess that he wouldn't be first choice as DOF for many on here but he would most definitely make better footballing decisions than the current incumbent/s who aren't DOF's.

My worry about having Warnock as DoF is that his influence and decisions would keep Boro trying to play an outdated style of football.

I guess if its a choice between him and Gibson or whoever is currently calling the shots, NW is the lesser of two evils...but not by much.

If Boro are to bring in a DoF, I would prefer someone a bit more forward thinking...like CT. 😁

Edited by AnglianRed