oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

👀Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Maybe. I think all complaints about integrity would go out the window if we had Kevin De Bruyne bossing the midfield instead of George Saville, like.

One of those isn't it. You'd feel dirty, but you'd be too drunk on success to care. With the way football has gone in the last 20 years, with all sense of healthy competition and financial parity out the window, I feel like I'd rather ride the devil's train than be stuck behind.

I wouldn't want us to become some random foreign businessman's play thing, but if it came to something like Red Bull, who have set a precedence of success for their purchases, I'd be down for it.

I wouldn't be against it if it didn't mean a total rebranding of the club. I know when Red Bull put their mind to something they generally make a success of it, so you can't argue with their track record.

I just hate the idea of Boro becoming just another energy drinks advertisement.

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

At some future point one of these Billionaire business men will tire of their plaything or probably more likely over extend themselves and consequently find themselves in a financial mess. The fallout from a "big" Club going to the wall or on the brink of extinction will hopefully bring football back from the precipice of its own greedy making. 

I wonder how structurally solid and viable the likes of Man City, Chelsea etc would be if their owners pulled the plug? 

1 hour ago, nunthorpered said:

I think thats the case for every big club spending stupid wages pretty much. If that happened the whole footballing world would come crashing down

Not sure the whole footballing world would collapse...as long as Sky, BT and whoever else buys the TV rights keep pumping money in. But for sure there would be some serious financial restructuring.

And as long as the TV companies are broadcasting their brands to the world, the billionaire backers are probably going to be happy to keep ploughing money into their clubs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Woof Woof said:

It depends on what floats your boat... 100 years striving for the dizzy heights of mediocrity or a blaze of glory in our lifetime.

Well we've had the Robson and McLaren eras. I suppose you could call that a blaze of glory in our lifetimes (for those of us over a certain age anyway). 😁

But glory is generally fleeting anyway...unless you're one of the Big 6 that can regularly compete for silverware.

As preachy / idealistic as it may sound, I really do hate the idea of buying success. I mean putting money in to kickstart and maintain growth is one thing, but when it gets to a stage where you're dumping hundreds of millions to get the best manager and players in the world and going from zeroes to PL / CL winners in a few seasons, it just feels wrong.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well we've had the Robson and McLaren eras. I suppose you could call that a blaze of glory in our lifetimes (for those of us over a certain age anyway). 😁

But glory is generally fleeting anyway...unless you're one of the Big 6 that can regularly compete for silverware.

As preachy / idealistic as it may sound, I really do hate the idea of buying success. I mean putting money in to kickstart and maintain growth is one thing, but when it gets to a stage where you're dumping hundreds of millions to get the best manager and players in the world and going from zeroes to PL / CL winners in a few seasons, it just feels wrong.

I'm old enough to remember Robson and McLaren and those wonderful UEFA 4-1/4-2 wins but I also remember the final which sort of took the shine off things. Oh for those days...

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Woof Woof said:

My God. Look at this... 7th in the league!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004–05_FA_Premier_League

They were horrible days, spending millions outbidding other clubs on transfer fees, throwing money around on big contracts signing mercenaries and challenging for Europe. Lost our identity you would have thought we had rich owners the way we were carrying on. No wonder the fans were unhappy.

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

They were horrible days, spending millions outbidding other clubs on transfer fees, throwing money around on big contracts signing mercenaries and challenging for Europe. Lost our identity you would have thought we had rich owners the way we were carrying on. No wonder the fans were unhappy.

I miss the Strachan days me when we got our identity back as Scotland 

16 hours ago, nunthorpered said:

Bolton finished 6th. Christ 🤣

Well football is cyclical. They were at the top of theirs back then...as were we. I guess we can count ourselves lucky we didn't bottom out as low as they did.

16 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

In one sense they were horrible days. With hindsight we were clearly spending beyond our means...even with Sky's millions. Not saying Southgate would have kept us up without the budget cutting but he'd have had a better chance.

We didn't plan long-term to make sure we could sustain our place in the PL...or mount a strong comeback once we got relegated. Just been a series of kneejerk reactions and short-term thinking.

On the flip side it was fun while it lasted.

I would love to know though if Gibson & the board actually thought the gravy train would ride on indefinitely, or if they were actually aware of the precarious state the club would be in, if the money stopped rolling in...

Also, the closest we came to losing our identity was when the stadium was renamed the Cellnet Riverside. No-one was demanding the club change its kit, badge or name, as has happened in some cases.

15 hours ago, nunthorpered said:

I miss the Strachan days me when we got our identity back as Scotland 

Ah yes, the days when we were Middlesburgh Celtic. 😁

Edited by AnglianRed
20 hours ago, Woof Woof said:

My God. Look at this... 7th in the league!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004–05_FA_Premier_League

I've said it on this site a number of times that we could have got into the Champions league that season, I honestly think we were as good as Everton who finished 4th. 

We lost Boateng and Viduka for long periods of that season after Xmas and it really affected our form. If we'd kept them fit or at least Boateng I think 4th was doable. 

I'm ever grateful to Gibson for putting us in that position but equally frustrated for how we just settle for mediocrity now as a club and that isn't just about spending money. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I've said it on this site a number of times that we could have got into the Champions league that season, I honestly think we were as good as Everton who finished 4th. 

We lost Boateng and Viduka for long periods of that season after Xmas and it really affected our form. If we'd kept them fit or at least Boateng I think 4th was doable. 

I'm ever grateful to Gibson for putting us in that position but equally frustrated for how we just settle for mediocrity now as a club and that isn't just about spending money. 

I remember the squads for the Sporting Lisbon games being absolutely decimated. In the 2nd leg when we needed to score 2 without reply, there was no Reiziger, Ehiogu, Boateng, Christie, Mendieta, Parlour, Hasselbaink, Morrison or Viduka. We had to rely on Job, Nemeth and then Graham up front, all of whom had mixed seasons. Our benches were awful.

Graham's best moment IIRC was scoring a late header against Charlton when he got kicked in the face. I remember Job, apart from scoring the overhead in the first leg, grabbed 2 in the game that still holds our record attendance, oddly from Norwich at home in December '04 (was our first home game post-Christmas, I believe). Nemeth had a decent spell towards the end of the season, grabbing that 'hat-trick' against West Brom and I think he scored at Liverpool too. Moments to remember for those 3 strikers but yeah, no Hasselbaink or Viduka for the crunch game in Portugal pretty much killed us.

I'm completely with you on that, we could 100% have been in the Champions League. I'd like to think we'd have done better than getting knocked out straight away like Everton did, too. Though their tie was against Villareal, the team who'd beat us in the group stage of the UEFA Cup the season before.

19 hours ago, Duvel said:

I'm fairly sure Gibson isn't settling for mediocrity. He's probably as frustrated as the rest of us. I can only think of two reasons why we aren't making any progress.

1. He genuinely hasn't got a clue how to 

2. He has some ideas, but they involve relinquishing a substantial amount of control...which he's reluctant to do

I'm guessing he's trying to find a way of changing things that will allow him to keep hold of the reins.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Though their tie was against Villareal, the team who'd beat us in the group stage of the UEFA Cup the season before.

Yeah Villareal were a pretty good team at the time, I remember them beating us that season and Riquelme put in one of the best performances I've seen by an opposing player.