oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

5 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

It will be very interesting to see how it works out. The slight concern I have is that if he doesn't work out, or makes a bad start, there will be people saying "Gibson's appointments are terrible" etc (as happened with Bevington).

Gibson is sort of giving the fans what they want here but he will still be blamed if it goes wrong. Hard to see what's in it for him personally really, seems like a selfless move to improve the fabric of the club. Nice one Steve 🤙

to be fair, Bevington WAS terrible. He was a PR guy that had no real football knowledge.

Scott has actually been learning this role for years, so there's no blatantly obvious "he's not qualified" stick to beat him with here

• Like 1
  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

👀Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

to be fair, Bevington WAS terrible. He was a PR guy that had no real football knowledge.

Scott has actually been learning this role for years, so there's no blatantly obvious "he's not qualified" stick to beat him with here

Hope it works out that way 👍

41 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

It will be very interesting to see how it works out. The slight concern I have is that if he doesn't work out, or makes a bad start, there will be people saying "Gibson's appointments are terrible" etc (as happened with Bevington).

Gibson is sort of giving the fans what they want here but he will still be blamed if it goes wrong. Hard to see what's in it for him personally really, seems like a selfless move to improve the fabric of the club. Nice one Steve 🤙

People critisized Gibson for the Bevington appointment because it was a ludicrous appointment for the role. The role itself made sense but the guy he employed was downright stupid (not the person btu his background). This time he has actually taken time to pick someone with the right credentials for the role.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

People critisized Gibson for the Bevington appointment because it was a ludicrous appointment for the role. The role itself made sense but the guy he employed was downright stupid (not the person btu his background). This time he has actually taken time to pick someone with the right credentials for the role.

That may of course be true but if Scott doesn't contribute to tangible improvement on the pitch, fairly quickly, there will still be a critical cohort, and they will criticise for whatever reasons they can find.

11 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

I see a Sporting Director as the solution to the problem of our lack on long-term vision, so even if it doesn't work out in the long-term then I won't criticise Gibson the slightest bit for failure. He seems to have done everything right so far by appointing someone who has built their reputation externally as part of a very successful club, so I massively applaud him for that.

If anything, I'll probably be one of Gibson's most vocal supporters if we have a bumpy start under Scott as the team struggling in the transitional period is absolutely expected. After a year or two, things should start to come together and it is after then that we should start to see the long-term benefits. Getting Scott in from September planning for the post-Warnock era at the end of the season is very sensible as it will help us plan to manage this transition effectively by minimising disruption. I'm feeling the most positive I have in a very long time about Boro.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, atypical_boro said:

That may of course be true but if Scott doesn't contribute to tangible improvement on the pitch, fairly quickly, there will still be a critical cohort, and they will criticise for whatever reasons they can find.

I've been one of the biggest critics on here of Gibson for his approach to control and have been hoping for a good choice in the director of football role for ages. When Bevington came in, the criticism from a lot on here was entirely about his past experience, i.e. none in anything like the role in question. That criticism was very little to do with the success on or off the pitch, all that happened was people felt justified in their original criticism as he left after what... 4-5 months in the role? It looked like yet another appointment made by Gibson for someone he knew and liked rather than someone actually suitable for the role.

With Scott coming in though, he absolutely bypasses that criticism. He's publicly spoken about his desire to work in this role after working and learning from someone already in it who has provided relative success compared to us in the form of a team that will almost certainly get promoted even if they are in the Championship. The experience there is vital too, he's got it in the exact same division we're trying to get out of. He's also absolutely nothing to do with Gibson, he's a neutral person, he's getting this role because of his own abilities and how he's sold himself and his vision to the club.

All this grants him time and plenty of it. Sure, you'd like to see noticeable improvement on and off the pitch sooner rather than later but it's going to take him a while to adjust to the situation in front of him, recognise the task on his hands and start putting into place the pieces of the puzzle required to build the team he wants. Including but not limited to the manager.

The first season Norwich had with Webber, they finished in the bottom half of the table and that's okay. I've previously said that Warnock being here means nothing if he doesn't get us promoted this season; I'm willing to backtrack on that a little because of this announcement and perhaps most importantly, the timing of it. I don't think it would have been fair to bring in a new manager before Scott came in and as others have so often said to me, Warnock is a safe pair of hands and that could help enormously throughout this first 12 months.

For me, I'm looking forward to this season a little more if this goes through as expected now. I think it takes the weight of expectation off a little bit. So long as we're not in League One next season, this year is a free hit. Which is perfect timing given the last 17 months of everything else that's happened. Lets just get to the Riverside and try to enjoy football as fans again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I hope that Scott can convince Gibson that we can't always rely on finding a capable manager who is out of contract. If you want the best you sometimes have to poach them while they are in a succesful job and pay the fee for that - which is often peanuts compared to player transfer fees. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I hope that Scott can convince Gibson that we can't always rely on finding a capable manager who is out of contract. If you want the best you sometimes have to poach them while they are in a succesful job and pay the fee for that - which is often peanuts compared to player transfer fees. 

Didn't we poach Monk? Or was he just out of contract at Leeds? I wish we'd have left that sod there 🙄

2 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Didn't we poach Monk? Or was he just out of contract at Leeds? I wish we'd have left that sod there 🙄

He was out of contract, they just wanted him to stay I believe.

• Like 1

Kieran Scott's boss, Stuart Webber, has a habit of recruiting his head coaches from Borussia Dortmund under 23's. He appointed both of Daniel Farke for Norwich and David Wagner for Huddersfield, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if Scott goes down a similar route with us for next season. Their current head coach is a 37 year old called Enrico Maaben who apparently plays with the same attack-minded mentality as the first team at Borussia Dortmund.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Borodane said:

People critisized Gibson for the Bevington appointment because it was a ludicrous appointment for the role.

Plenty of people on here defended the appointment. 

55 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Kieran Scott's boss, Stuart Webber, has a habit of recruiting his head coaches from Borussia Dortmund under 23's. He appointed both of Daniel Farke for Norwich and David Wagner for Huddersfield, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if Scott goes down a similar route with us for next season. Their current head coach is a 37 year old called Enrico Maaben who apparently plays with the same attack-minded mentality as the first team at Borussia Dortmund.

Their U19 coach is actually a 35 year old Dane who played as a striker for my hometown club. Mike Tullberg. Supposed to be highly rated.