oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

3 hours ago, p_mards said:

Fantastic news to have Kieran Scott officially confirmed. Full credit to Gibson for making the decision to go in this new direction. Hopefully we get clarity on the scope of his role in the next few days. I'm assuming the title of Head of Football is basically the same role as a Sporting Director or Director of Football.

Hopefully this is the beginning of us reemerging as an established Premier League club in the medium to long term 🤞 

I take the "Head of Football" title is a lead in to the "Director of Football" title at some future point should he prove himself.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

👀Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ABH said:

I haven’t seen a statement from the club about Scott starting at the club.

Have I just missed it?

No not seen any thing other than his initial announcement. You'd expect a follow up to be honest.

14 minutes ago, Humpty said:

No not seen any thing other than his initial announcement. You'd expect a follow up to be honest.

Let's get him into the job first and follow it up at the earliest next month so he can perhaps give an insight into the stuff they are working on and implementing. He's only been in the job for a week.

I know it’s very early in Scott’s tenure, but have any of Digger, Raf etc. heard any names of managers the club are considering for next season?

Just curious if those sort of talks have started yet, although I doubt it

Whoever the replacement is, I hope he's young enough not to have any baggage to tarnish to his reputation or give anyone any preconceived notions about him, and has no previous ties to the club.

The Karanka vein again.

I know we tried that with Monk but little did we know about him being a dodgy ***.

Pulis and Warnock already had a significant chunk against them from the get go, and Woodgate had plenty of people who were against him because of his local reputation.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, it's the preconceived notions that have been the main problems with Pulis and Warnock.

I'm not saying that it is the main problem.

But I'd sooner avoid a situation where our next manager is already actively disliked by a big chunk of the supporters before a ball is kicked.

We've had that with our last 3 managers.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm not saying that it is the main problem.

But I'd sooner avoid a situation where our next manager is already actively disliked by a big chunk of the supporters before a ball is kicked.

We've had that with our last 3 managers.

Would you say that the preconceived notions were correct or incorrect?  The issue isn't what people thought beforehand, it's what we've done after appointing them.  The football under the last three managers has been dreadful.  If it was good football, and we were winning lots of games, whatever people thought beforehand wouldn't matter in the slightest.  The only football that I can think of in my time as a Boro fan that has been worse or on the same level as the last few seasons was under Strachan.

• Like 2

I think Scot is a coup, a great appointment but I fail to understand how his impact can have an immediate affect, as in this or next season.. I think his appointment remit is more inclined to buying and selling players at great value but  in this division. I honestly don’t think he has been appointed for a promotional push. Although Scot may resolve a weakness at the club and inspire a much needed improvement among transfers, it doesn’t resolve the issue of appointing a good tactical manager.. investing in a good manager surly would give the best return on investment?

Scott’s ex boss Stuart Webber purposely targeted head coaches that had completed their coaching badges through the German FA as they’re supposedly the most thorough and the toughest to pass, so produce the highest quality coaches - certainly for the type of head coach that Webber wants. This worked well with unearthing David Wagner and Daniel Farke from Borussia Dortmund II so I would be very surprised if Scott didn’t follow his mentors successful approach.

The requirements of our next head coach are going to be completely different to Warnock - and all previous managers too. Their role is going to far more based around coaching and improving younger players, accepting that mistakes are going to be made in the short-term, and implementing a set style of play and development culture; with all that aligning to our long-term recruitment strategy. It’s not going to be like Warnock thinking in the short-term, wanting to win at all costs, and afraid to give game time to players like Payero. Therefore I really don’t think that our next head coach is going to be selected from the same old mix of names that we’d ordinarily pick from like Wilder, Lampard etc. I’m confident that it’s going to be a lesser known head coach who has done his coaching badges through the German FA that is perfectly aligned to our new way of operating under Scott.

• Like 5

Reading between the lines of warnocks interview where they talk about Chris hughtons sacking he sounded like he is under pressure himself, he also made similar comments in regard to Scott's appointment too. (perhaps reading too much into it) and I wonder if he was the manager which was supposedly furious at his chairman for spending alot of money on a foreign player.