oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

35 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Looking back it was two terrible transfer windows that set us up to fail, with too many players not good enough to help in a relegation scrap in the Prem or simply didn't care. The recruitment was well off and seemed badly planned.

Another classic case of us buying players on the strength of a limited amount of video footage or scouting, stats and them being able to fill a position in the team.

In fairness I don't think we were too different to most other clubs in that regard. I think the deeper checking into players' personalities and whether they will be "right" for a particular club and manager is a relatively recent thing.

Probably less important for the Man Citys and Chelseas of the world, where a big-name manager and squads full of big-name players, plus Champions League football etc. often helps overcome personal problems. Or if a player really isn't happy they can simply sell them on and buy someone else.

But hugely important for clubs like Boro who can't afford to make expensive mistakes. I'm really hoping that is something Scott brings to our recruitment in future transfer windows.

• Like 1
  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

👀Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

12 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

As bad as our final tally looks, we were still well within reach of safety for a long time.

We sacked Karanka and bizarrely had Agnew in charge, assuming a better manager I fully think we could have got wins in the Swansea and Hull matches. 

Win those and we'd have been out of the relegation zone on 28 points, with a game in hand on the teams around us and 8 games left to play.

There were plenty of matches when Karanka was in charge that we could have won on another day too.

Both Leicester matches, the West Brom matches, the Burnley matches, etc.

Even with Agnew, we should have beaten Man City the second time.

I don't think there was anything unjust about us going down, but I also don't think it needed that much of a flip to have us stay up by the skin of our teeth.

If that Huddersfield side could stay up the season after, we definitely could have.

A lot of cases of could've, would've, should've...

We were averaging a point a game until around Christmas and just about keeping our heads above water. By the time Karanka was sacked and Agnew took over, we were well off the pace for survival. It would have needed quite a turnaround to get us to safety.

As you say, with a competent manager, we might have survived. But having Steve as caretaker pretty much doomed us. Another strange decision IMO. Even if the squad's relationship with Karanka was strained to breaking point by then, giving someone like Agnew 11 games to keep us up was never going to work out.

Maybe Gibson was equally fed up with Aitor by then too and just wanted rid of him? 🤷‍♂️

Also think it was at least partly down to us having a decent squad on paper (with some very talented individuals), but which just didn't function effectively as a team for various reasons. The "Spanish Clique" being one?

You can't underestimate the importance of squad harmony, with players willing to go the extra yard for each other and the manager. Probably helps explain how Huddersfield stayed up. Though as they found out, even that only works for so long.

aah Fischer, id completely fogot about him, unremarkable really,considering that he will go down asone of our most forgettable players in history.it would be nice if you could point to a moment in a game and say ....remember fischer doing this or that.........but you cant, he was totally anonymous. hewill go down in the same list as trevor senior in that respect. or boersma,bent, etc etc etc  its a long list believe me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Essuuaitch said:

aah Fischer, id completely fogot about him, unremarkable really,considering that he will go down asone of our most forgettable players in history.it would be nice if you could point to a moment in a game and say ....remember fischer doing this or that.........but you cant, he was totally anonymous. hewill go down in the same list as trevor senior in that respect. or boersma,bent, etc etc etc  its a long list believe me.

I remember he sent in a pinpoint corner for Stuani to head home. That was about it I think.

talking of one-off pinpoint crosses, i vaguely remember phil stamp hurtling down the right wing and sending across a pearler for a goal . cant recall who headed it in or who against but was in north end of riverside. bizarre boro recap

20 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

talking of one-off pinpoint crosses, i vaguely remember phil stamp hurtling down the right wing and sending across a pearler for a goal . cant recall who headed it in or who against but was in north end of riverside. bizarre boro recap

Phil Stamp was never really given the respect he deserved as a Boro player. He never really looked out of place alongside some really good players that we had.

He ultimately never made it as a Premier league player but he had a good career in the SPL and was better than the majority of the garbage we've seen in a Boro shirt in the last 10 years. 

• Like 1
On 9/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, Essuuaitch said:

It was the winner against Everton during the 1999-2000 season, and it was Brian Deane on the end of the cross.  Great goal actually, I can remember it as if it was yesterday.  It'll be on Youtube in the Boro season videos that are on there.

• Like 1
On 9/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, Essuuaitch said:

Phil Stamp was involved in one of the best ever Boro team goals - Juninho's  at Old Trafford in 96/97.

• Like 1