oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

๐Ÿ‘€Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Words that Neil himself lives by when speaking about othersย ๐Ÿ™„

ย 

Aye, I dare say he's said worse than that from the side of the pitch, or on the pitch at fulltime, or in the refs changing roomsย ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Payero said:

He probably can take it, that doesn't mean it's okay. He's doing the best he can which isn't good enough but that doesn't warrant personal abuse.ย 

Is this what you say to Warnock about the referee every week? Bloody hell.

12 minutes ago, Payero said:

Are you saying warnock deserves to be called obscenities from fans of MFC? Because I don't think he does.ย 

No, I'm saying that there's a great deal of hypocrisy to try and stand up for the right of a person not to receive abuse when the person you're talking about is Neil Warnock. The man hands out dog's abuse every game. It's not whether he can take it or whether he deserves it, it's that if he can't then be shouldn't be throwing stones himself.

Our performances have been so bad this seasonย that I now thinkย Warnock leaving is the best thing all round. Our midfield hasn't been fit for purpose for most of this season as Warnock doesn't know how to get the best out of the players at his disposal. If the going gets tough then I doubt Warnock willย dig his heels in to stick around for a mid-tableย at best kind of season, so I'm sure there's a good chance that he'll leave if there isn't an upturn in results soon. There's two more games against Sheffield United (home) and Hull City (away) before the next international break - which would be a good time to make a managerial change - so our results before then could decide whether Warnock leaves or not.

Whilst Crooks hasย probably been our best performing central midfielder this season, I think him him being part of any three man midfield, especiallyย with Warnock'sย direct tactics,ย massively reduces our fluidity in possession and just leads to our midfield three not functioning to anywhere near an acceptable standard. Last season we were far more fluid in possession without a unique "Warnock style" midfielder like Crooks. Something has dramatically changed in midfield from last season as we've gotย so much worse. I don't think the goals he has provided has been worth the negatives.ย Any three from Howson, Morsy, Saville and Tavernier last season performed to a far higher and consistent standard than any three this season so far.

I canย see the positives that Crooksย adds to the team in a midfield role such as him pushing forward from midfield to beย a targetman for flick-ons from Lumley's long kicks, and a very good aerial presence inย both boxes in open play and set-pieces. However, aside from them, I think he really limits us as a team as the ball doesn't flow well with him in there. With three central midfielders we should be far more patient on the ball and allow our shape to open up far more with fullbacks overlapping, wide midfielder havingย a moreย infield position and midfielders playing through the thirds with quality. Instead everything in midfield is disjointed, messy and scrappy for us - with minimal quality as a unit. We've played our best footballย this season in the homeย game against Blackburnย withย Howson, Morsy and Tavernier in a midfield three - with Crooks playing as a targetman in strike. Kieran Scott must be tearing his hair out after watching how smoothly Norwich's midfield in their two promotion seasons move the ball around and progress it into the forward areas. Siliki and Payero both still adapting to the Championship won't help matters either. Whatever the cause is, the problem of the midfield is abundantly clear so it needs to be resolved as soon as possible.

24 minutes ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

I thought it was pastie, ieย cheap,ย pale, flakey and the contents are of poor quality (and sometimes gravy)

Hey I'm quite partial to a Gregg's pastie, I'll have you know! Even the veggie ones are quite nice.

ย 

9 hours ago, Payero said:

Warnock shouldn't abuse referees. But I don't think boro fans should be calling our manager expletives online. It makes us all look silly. I imagine if we beat Sheffield United 3-0 then nobody will be calling him a p**** then. He won't be here much longer.

We're not gonna beat Sheffield United...certainly not 3-0. But fully agree it doesn't help anyone to abuse the manager (even if he does deserve it).

But sadly there are plenty of entitled muppets and brave keyboard warriors who think its their god-given right to say whatever they like to whoever they like.ย ๐Ÿ™„

Probably wouldn't dare say a word face to face, but its easy to be a tough guy with the safety and anonymity of the internet.

ย 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

We're not gonna beat Sheffield United...certainly not 3-0. But fully agree it doesn't help anyone to abuse the manager (even if he does deserve it).

But sadly there are plenty of entitled muppets and brave keyboard warriors who think its their god-given right to say whatever they like to whoever they like.ย ๐Ÿ™„

Probably wouldn't dare say a word face to face, but its easy to be a tough guy with the safety and anonymity of the internet.

ย 

I'll punch your face in mate ๐Ÿ˜œ

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Payero said:

Warnock shouldn't abuse referees. But I don't think boro fans should be calling our manager expletives online. It makes us all look silly. I imagine if we beat Sheffield United 3-0 then nobody will be calling him a p**** then. He won't be here much longer.

Crikey, you're optimistic! Not at the result, that people will all change their tune after a single positive result.

I don't think a 3-0 win is going to change everyone's minds from calling him a p****. He might get a temporary reprieve from some at best but he has some serious work to do to recover his position as both a respectable professional and a manager who has the support of some of the fans on this board at least. You make it sound like there was no problems with him being in charge at any point before.

• Like 1