Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, Steve Gibson & Long Term Vision?


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I was a big fan of Hamilton because I liked his story, his rise, success, dedication and ability but I totally switched off once he started dictating to others. It’s amazing to see how personality changes with success and money. I guess it’s true you can’t buy class. 

Yeah but you don't agree with Black Lives Matters protests so....y'know

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's looking a virtual certainty that Warnock is going to get the job for next season, it's worth noting both the significant positives and negatives that will result from Warnock being our manager

👀Thanks for the invite, really appreciate it.

The Evening Gazette has said that Steve Gibson is against a director of football because it would add another 6 figure salary onto the wage bill. I can't help but question whether that is the true mot

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Yeah but you don't agree with Black Lives Matters protests so....y'know

I was thinking about the BLM movement yesterday and I was wondering what measures the players and club have taken to raise awareness in the community instead of taking the knee, as promised.


Does anyone know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I was thinking about the BLM movement yesterday and I was wondering what measures the players and club have taken to raise awareness in the community instead of taking the knee, as promised.


Does anyone know?

They arranged for Bola to score that cracker yesterday.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Yeah but you don't agree with Black Lives Matters protests so....y'know

I don’t and certainly won’t hide from the fact either.. but why did you think it appropriate to raise the issue? 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I don’t and certainly won’t hide from the fact either.. but why did you think it appropriate to raise the issue? 

Because you brought it up? To be quite frank I think it's a good thing that Lewis Hamilton uses his platform to inspire more black drivers to enter F1, while highlighting racial injustice in the world at the same time. 

But hey, I suppose in your little world

200.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I was thinking about the BLM movement yesterday and I was wondering what measures the players and club have taken to raise awareness in the community instead of taking the knee, as promised.


Does anyone know?

I'm guessing there will be some sort of local initiative, done in conjunction with the club's other community work.

I mean the Kick It Out campaign has been in existence for quite a while (to little effect, it seems) so will probably be an extension of that. For all the good it will do.

If football was taking this seriously, there would be a big national campaign led from the top by the FA, EFL and PL. Going into schools and players talking about their experiences, ramming home the "racism is bad m'kay" message. There'd be a TV ad campaign doing more or less the same thing. There would be discussion among the governing bodies and police about how to better identify and punish racist behaviour during games (both by fans and other players).

But as usual it'll probably be left to individual clubs to do whatever they feel is right.

Honestly though, I think any action will ultimately fall on deaf ears. I mean you can certainly reduce the amount of racist behaviour with the right guidance and education, but as long as humans exist, there will be racists. Some people will just never change the way they think.

As far as football is concerned, the best thing you can do with people like this is simply ban them for life (with a hefty prison sentence if they ignore the ban).

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I was thinking about the BLM movement yesterday and I was wondering what measures the players and club have taken to raise awareness in the community instead of taking the knee, as promised.


Does anyone know?

They definitely did stuff around the time it all started. They did a bunch of zoom calls with school kids where some of the players talked about their experiences with it all. 

Haven't heard of anything recently, although I imagine they're working away behind the scenes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never been a fan of F1, I just can’t get into it. So saying that I do know about Lewis Hamilton so you can’t deny the way he’s taken the sport by storm. I have no complaints about that as you can’t bluff your way to dominance the way he has. It takes a single bloody mindfulness and dedication to achieve it. Now he’s there he has a platform to raise awareness for whatever he feels is important. I’m sure he inspires young boys and girls regardless of skin colour to take up the sport. 
A few years ago I didn’t like the preaching he did about how we should all cut back on what we’re doing to save the planet, then promptly hop on a plane to go shag a pussycat doll. I remember thinking the hypocrisy of it all

 After a while I realised that was mainly down to the poison of social media (Twitter in particular) and he may have done it once or twice but it was made out to be the norm for him. 
Today with regards of LH i believe he is one of the best sportsman we have ever produced and will applaud him for that,  most of his other views views I’m just a bit meh. But it doesn’t bother me too much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Never been a fan of F1, I just can’t get into it. So saying that I do know about Lewis Hamilton so you can’t deny the way he’s taken the sport by storm. I have no complaints about that as you can’t bluff your way to dominance the way he has. It takes a single bloody mindfulness and dedication to achieve it. Now he’s there he has a platform to raise awareness for whatever he feels is important. I’m sure he inspires young boys and girls regardless of skin colour to take up the sport. 
A few years ago I didn’t like the preaching he did about how we should all cut back on what we’re doing to save the planet, then promptly hop on a plane to go shag a pussycat doll. I remember thinking the hypocrisy of it all

 After a while I realised that was mainly down to the poison of social media (Twitter in particular) and he may have done it once or twice but it was made out to be the norm for him. 
Today with regards of LH i believe he is one of the best sportsman we have ever produced and will applaud him for that,  most of his other views views I’m just a bit meh. But it doesn’t bother me too much. 

You are absolutely right about Twitter, it really does give people strong and often incorrect opinions. The other day people on there were having a go about Greta Thunburg.
A young women who is trying to raise climate change awareness and actually do something for humanity. People get so angry about her, it’s insane, don’t people want a sustainable world to live in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Never been a fan of F1, I just can’t get into it. So saying that I do know about Lewis Hamilton so you can’t deny the way he’s taken the sport by storm. I have no complaints about that as you can’t bluff your way to dominance the way he has. It takes a single bloody mindfulness and dedication to achieve it. Now he’s there he has a platform to raise awareness for whatever he feels is important. I’m sure he inspires young boys and girls regardless of skin colour to take up the sport. 
A few years ago I didn’t like the preaching he did about how we should all cut back on what we’re doing to save the planet, then promptly hop on a plane to go shag a pussycat doll. I remember thinking the hypocrisy of it all

 After a while I realised that was mainly down to the poison of social media (Twitter in particular) and he may have done it once or twice but it was made out to be the norm for him. 
Today with regards of LH i believe he is one of the best sportsman we have ever produced and will applaud him for that,  most of his other views views I’m just a bit meh. But it doesn’t bother me too much. 

The question remains - would he have been so dominant had he been at Red Bull or Ferrari?

I think not - George Russell showed how easy? it is to win in the Mercedes if you are a half decent driver

Even Valteri Bottas could win now and again when he wasn't been shafted by his pit team or team orders!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Snake said:

The question remains - would he have been so dominant had he been at Red Bull or Ferrari?

I think not - George Russell showed how easy? it is to win in the Mercedes if you are a half decent driver

Even Valteri Bottas could win now and again when he wasn't been shafted by his pit team or team orders!

Again I’m not 100% up on all things F1. But I’m under the impression that the best drivers get the best cars 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Snake said:

The question remains - would he have been so dominant had he been at Red Bull or Ferrari?

I think not - George Russell showed how easy? it is to win in the Mercedes if you are a half decent driver

Even Valteri Bottas could win now and again when he wasn't been shafted by his pit team or team orders!

Hamilton would beat Russell just as he has beaten all of his teammates past and present. The idea that the only reason Hamilton wins is because of the car is, frankly, stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we're off-topic here, but I'm currently reading the Niki Lauda biography by Maurice Hamilton. Not sure if Lauda was technically a better driver than Hamilton, but his bravery was absolutely off the charts. And Lauda didn't always win because he had the best car, either. Talent rises to the top, and the best teams want that driver, rather than drivers being the best simply because they've got lucky with the offer of a drive for a successful team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Because you brought it up? To be quite frank I think it's a good thing that Lewis Hamilton uses his platform to inspire more black drivers to enter F1, while highlighting racial injustice in the world at the same time. 

But hey, I suppose in your little world

200.gif

Ah another one of those "if you don't support BLM 100% then you're a racist or an ignorant". I'm surprised you're still a fan of the club. Why aren't you outside the club shouting at the players for thinking racism is over?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Ah another one of those "if you don't support BLM 100% then you're a racist or an ignorant". I'm surprised you're still a fan of the club. Why aren't you outside the club shouting at the players for thinking racism is over?

I'm not bothered that the club has chosen to stop taking the knee, it's entirely up to them how they support BLM. But when people attack Lewis Hamilton for using his platform as best F1 driver in history (arguably) to highlight racial inequality, it makes it quite difficult to assume anything other than they think it's a bad thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...