oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheffield W (A) 2-1 (McNair, Assombalonga)

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

I’m a fan of Maddo purely for the way he commentates. He’s not a polished journalist spewing the same old cliche, non risqué drivel. He’s a fan. He gets excited and demonstrates a real passion and an affinity for the club, fans and area. Yes he gets names wrong, makes mistakes and sometimes sounds like he doesn’t know what’s going on. Exactly the same reasons I love Kammy too.  I pretty much know 99% of the questions and responses for Sunday nights MOTD due to the amount of media training the players and coaches have had and how bland and non confrontational the journos are. 

The hardest thing for maddo (and anyone else who steps into that commentary booth) is that they have the biggest boots in the world to fill left behind by Ali which quite frankly no one can live up too

I don't think Maddo should be on BBC Tees purely because he's employed by the club and therefore there's a clear conflict of interest.

The fact he can't pronounce half our players names and often interrupts Mark Drury to drone on about something completely irrelevant to the game in progress is just an annoyance.

• Like 1
  • Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a relief! Today's results just show how strong the championship league is!  A nice win and performance to finish of what can only be described as a absolutely shocking seasons for the f

Well final game day has arrived, the waiting on knowing what the future entails for Boro will soon be known. At least we all got here to witness the most bizarre turn of events in our lives and t

I’m a fan of Maddo purely for the way he commentates. He’s not a polished journalist spewing the same old cliche, non risqué drivel. He’s a fan. He gets excited and demonstrates a real passion and an

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I don't think Maddo should be on BBC Tees purely because he's employed by the club and therefore there's a clear conflict of interest.

The fact he can't pronounce half our players names and often interrupts Mark Drury to drone on about something completely irrelevant to the game in progress is just an annoyance.

It’s an annoyance for you and maybe others. But I’ve explained the reason I like him. Football is still an entertainment business and for me he provides that. 

2 minutes ago, Uwe said:

It’s an annoyance for you and maybe others. But I’ve explained the reason I like him. Football is still an entertainment business and for me he provides that. 

You think it's appropriate that someone employed by the club is allowed on the commentary team at the BBC? You don't think there's a tiny conflict of interest there? 

Put it another way, would you be happy if MFC employed Anthony Vickers as a media consultant and he still wrote articles about the club for the Gazette?

19 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I don't think I can stand another season of hearing Steeyanovic and Tava-neer.  😁

I must admit I had no idea he was still employed by the club. What as - an ambassador / PR guy or something?

I don't think the conflict of interest thing is really that big an issue. If you listen to the commentators for other clubs, they tend to be quite biased as well. For me its simply the fact he's not very good. As you said, its the overuse of tired cliches and his tendency to waffle.

Then again, its gonna be tough for anyone to match Ali Brownlee. He was the perfect combination of fan and commentator. Passionate but also painted pictures with his words.

25 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I don't think I can stand another season of hearing Steeyanovic and Tava-neer.  😁

I must admit I had no idea he was still employed by the club. What as - an ambassador / PR guy or something?

I don't think the conflict of interest thing is really that big an issue. If you listen to the commentators for other clubs, they tend to be quite biased as well. For me its simply the fact he's not very good. As you said, its the overuse of tired cliches and his tendency to waffle.

Then again, its gonna be tough for anyone to match Ali Brownlee. He was the perfect combination of fan and commentator. Passionate but also painted pictures with his words.

Maddo is employed as a coach, believe it or not.

Edit - not coaching staff, he's part of the academy setup.

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Maddo is employed as a coach, believe it or not.

Edit - not coaching staff, he's part of the academy setup.

Yeah was gonna say he's the Academy Ambassador and Player Welfare Manager, whatever that actually entails, but you're right that he is employed by the club, so your point still stands.

54 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

That's pretty close to how Tavernier's name is pronounced though.

It's Tav-er-neer.

I don't mind Neil Maddison, only thing that ever irritates me is the lack of knowledge of certain facts around the league, like when it took them 4 matches to realise that drinks breaks weren't random and just because the players were thirsty, or the new rules around substitutions.

But Mark Drury should have known that as well, and corrected him.

When your job is to commentate on Middlesbrough matches in the Championship, you should have at least have an understanding of the basic facts. They weren't secret changes.

Maddo said recently on BBC Tees  he believes football success comes in cycles which i disagree with. Surley success comes with good decision making rather than its our our cycle or time now to succeed. That's like winging it with the correct manager, transfers and set up within the club. So take Leeds for example its just there time and cycle Maddo ? Load of tosh they made a decision to go and get a top class coach and set the club up around Beielsa and look what's happend. Don't like the white *** but they showed ambition and look what it did. Plus they didn't spend massively. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Plus they didn't spend massively. 

£10m on Bamford

£16m on Costa

£3m on Douglas

£5m on Meslier

£18m on Augustin, though Leeds are trying to back out of the deal.

Then millions on loan fees.

Clubs have spent more, but that's not small change.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

£10m on Bamford

£16m on Costa

£3m on Douglas

£5m on Meslier

£18m on Augustin, though Leeds are trying to back out of the deal.

Then millions on loan fees.

Clubs have spent more, but that's not small change.

True. Any idea if we are getting promotion money Forshaw and Bamford? 

3 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

True. Any idea if we are getting promotion money Forshaw and Bamford? 

I'd assume so, it was £7m rising to £10m and I'd guess goals, appearances and promotion were some of the add-ons involved.

I'm not getting all the bother about the Tees Commentary team. Ali was brilliant and irreplaceable but at times frustrating as he would always look for the positive when we were dire and couldn't bring himself to be critical. Drury and Maddo commentate on the game and sometimes go off on tangents but there are far worse out there. I've heard Maddo be critical, albeit constructively, but I'd say he is far more critical than Ali ever was.

Whoever was commentating on the last few games done OK, not earth-shatteringly brilliant but by no means a disaster and done well. Bernie was criticised by many for moaning but equally loved by many for being frank and brutally honest which complimented Ali. Like the game itself it's all about opinions.

All of them are trying to do their best and in doing so trying to make a living like most of us on here and maybe we need to take a step back and think about that. A Footballer getting paid £20K a week with millions in the bank indifferently fulfilling a contract whilst seemingly poor at their job is one thing. Lads who are trying to report what is happening on the pitch whilst conveying the general atmosphere so that thousands can follow the Boro from home or the other side of the world are providing a service and do a pretty good job of it, all of them. As someone above has said I'd rather listen to unbridled passion and anxiety, warts and all than the polished presentations we see on Sky Sports and MOTD.

The mispronunciations or a "Penackilty to Boro" make me smile and its one of the few things that has been reason to smile following Boro over the last few years. 

Edited by Redcar Rioja
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

You think it's appropriate that someone employed by the club is allowed on the commentary team at the BBC? You don't think there's a tiny conflict of interest there? 

Put it another way, would you be happy if MFC employed Anthony Vickers as a media consultant and he still wrote articles about the club for the Gazette?

I have absolutely no problem with it at all. The Steve Vickers thing isn’t really a reasonable because there’s journalistic integrity compromised . Maddo is a fan. My son just mentioned to me he likes the way he always refers to us as The Boro and not Middlesbrough as many mainstream journalists do. 

As for conflict of interest 😂😂😂😂😂