oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheffield W (A) 2-1 (McNair, Assombalonga)

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a relief! Today's results just show how strong the championship league is!  A nice win and performance to finish of what can only be described as a absolutely shocking seasons for the f

Well final game day has arrived, the waiting on knowing what the future entails for Boro will soon be known. At least we all got here to witness the most bizarre turn of events in our lives and t

I’m a fan of Maddo purely for the way he commentates. He’s not a polished journalist spewing the same old cliche, non risqué drivel. He’s a fan. He gets excited and demonstrates a real passion and an

Posted Images

Maddo is often very critical and says words like pooouuuwr performance.. So i like him.. He is human. 

And hey, be positive Guys... U get a New song for the first game of the New season 😂😎

6 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I have absolutely no problem with it at all. The Steve Vickers thing isn’t really a reasonable because there’s journalistic integrity compromised . Maddo is a fan. My son just mentioned to me he likes the way he always refers to us as The Boro and not Middlesbrough as many mainstream journalists do. 

As for conflict of interest 😂😂😂😂😂

He's employed by the club he supposedly is also paid by the BBC to give a frank and honest analysis of, how on earth is there NOT a conflict of interest there?

I miss when Bernie Slaven was our colour commentator, at least he had the balls to criticise the team. Maddo makes up the most ridiculous excuses for poor performances I've ever heard at times.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

He's employed by the club he supposedly is also paid by the BBC to give a frank and honest analysis of, how on earth is there NOT a conflict of interest there?

I miss when Bernie Slaven was our colour commentator, at least he had the balls to criticise the team. Maddo makes up the most ridiculous excuses for poor performances I've ever heard at times.

Its footy commentary for local radio. Its hardly necessary for it to be held to the highest standard of journalistic integrity.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Its footy commentary for local radio. Its hardly necessary for it to be held to the highest standard of journalistic integrity.

And when you listen to some other BBC region's commentators we definitely don't have it too bad! 

• Like 2

In my school days playing Footie (not Football) on the Rec (not Recreation Ground) we would always scream "Corner Ball" meaning that the ball had crossed the imaginary byline between the nearest jumper pile and the imaginary Corner flag that didn't actually exist, "Corner Ball Referee, Corner Ball" as though an Official actually existed. Maybe its just a local Teesside/Durham thing?

If someone scored a good goal it was always an "absolute Corker". Clearly Maddo must have had kickabouts (informal games of football often with 20+ a side) with the same lads I did, happy days!

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

First of all you have no idea of what his contract says ( I don’t either), but I’m pretty sure the BBC do and if he operated outside the parameters they’d come down on him like a ton of bricks.  I don’t remember you kicking up a stink when Gary Lineker stripped to his pants in support of Leicester’s achievement who is also employed by the BBC. It’s characters that this sport desperately needs. It just seems a strange stick to beat him with to me that’s all. 

I agree with Uwe, I quite like Maddo. We've definitely had worse in the commentary box. And put it this way, I think Mark Drury is much worse at going off on tangents. If Maddo starts it, you can guarantee Drury will follow it to the end of its life and beyond (though under Pulis' reign, you maybe couldn't blame them for that).

BUT...

...there has definitely been times where I've felt he's pulled his punches a little or tried too hard to find a positive. And when someone who also works for the club does that, it does sometimes make you wonder if there's a little bit of them doing it for the club he works for OR if that's just the kind of person they are.

I'd err on the side of the latter as I don't think Maddo has been any different since he started working for the club and that is something that started after his BBC Tees job. I also don't think Maddo comes across in any way sinister. I think a lot of the time when he's making something that could be construed as a more positive opinion than you'd expect, it's about the players and their characters. And part of his role with the club is to liaise with players. There's a lot of reasons (including being a former player himself) that you'd therefore expect him to have a deeper understanding of what a person in their position is going through and try to protect them.

Bernie paid the price for his blunt opinion as did Century Radio.

The Gazette were made to toe the line after articles that upset the Club and have since just become the club's mouthpiece.

Journalistic impartiality regarding Boro is something that appears to be very difficult.

• Like 1

if everybody involved with covering football matches was not permitted to be employed by a football club or the FA in any fashion, there would probably be very few left to do the job...and having seen and heard a number of others over the years...we could do a lot worse..

13 minutes ago, Brunners said:

This has been a weird tangent for this thread.

Indeed but it has ensured a great 485 posts average for all match day threads this season, brilliant especially as last season was much lower.

Hurrah for the Match Day Threads!

• Like 1