oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheffield W (A) 2-1 (McNair, Assombalonga)

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a relief! Today's results just show how strong the championship league is!  A nice win and performance to finish of what can only be described as a absolutely shocking seasons for the f

Well final game day has arrived, the waiting on knowing what the future entails for Boro will soon be known. At least we all got here to witness the most bizarre turn of events in our lives and t

I’m a fan of Maddo purely for the way he commentates. He’s not a polished journalist spewing the same old cliche, non risqué drivel. He’s a fan. He gets excited and demonstrates a real passion and an

Posted Images

Just now, thatoldchestnut said:

Quite why the EFL couldnt have deducted the points when they made the decision I cant understand. Then anyone looking at the league table would know.

Because they needed to know whether Wigan were going to get relegated anyway, if they got relegated the points deduction would be applied next season.

• Like 1
Just now, thatoldchestnut said:

Quite why the EFL couldnt have deducted the points when they made the decision I cant understand. Then anyone looking at the league table would know.

because the rule is designed to stop teams going into administration just because they're already relegated to start the following season with a clean slate.

• Like 1

I wonder if there will be any "delayed" kick offs tonight, quite accidentally of course and due to circumstances beyond the Clubs control. It would however be extremely convenient to know that a draw or a much needed equaliser or winner was needed with say twenty minutes remaining. 

Well hopefully we get the win tonight or a draw as I don't want us to be in 22nd waiting anxiously for the appeal verdict. The club won't be able to plan on the recruitment side will be a horrible mess. So please boro don't let us be in that position just go to Hillsborough and get the win 

3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Normally I'd agree with you.

In fact, I've made the argument quite a few times, both in relation to Boro and other clubs, that players get far too easy a ride and never face the consequences when things go bad.

However, in our particular case, given the number of managers, coaching setups and squad changes we've been through in the last few years, there are definitely mitigating circumstances.

We have a squad of players who were brought in under different managers, some are no longer wanted, quite a few are out of contract, being played out of position, or simply not good enough.

Throw a clueless manager and useless coaching staff into the mix and is it really surprising that we are where we are?

Boro need to get a good manager & coaching staff in place, as well as sorting out the scouting / recruitment side, to allow the manger to build the kind of side they want.

Sure we have an experienced manager right now, but he's basically doing a firefighting job, making do with the mess left behind by his predecessor.

Hi Anglian. The arguments thrown back are often about recruitment and scouting. I agree with those sentiments because from what I am saying is the players are not good enough, not just their ability but their application. But people are suggesting the players are good enough and the application is there. So are the scouts doing a bad job in their eyes. Anyway, its the matchday thread so hope results go our way tonight 👍

12 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Hi Anglian. The arguments thrown back are often about recruitment and scouting. I agree with those sentiments because from what I am saying is the players are not good enough, not just their ability but their application. But people are suggesting the players are good enough and the application is there. So are the scouts doing a bad job in their eyes. Anyway, its the matchday thread so hope results go our way tonight 👍

You're making two statements in this sentence. One of which I agree with and one of which I don't. Which I feel is the same stance of anyone else who challenged you on that view.

7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

You're making two statements in this sentence. One of which I agree with and one of which I don't. Which I feel is the same stance of anyone else who challenged you on that view.

As I said it's the match day thread and we are never going to agree. You are obviously happy with either their ability or application. Qualities identified by our scouts that you don't seem to rate. To me application isn't just turning up and going through the motions. The Irish lads seem to give 100% when playing for Ireland, performances I've never seen from them ever in a Boro shirt. 

I'm trying to be optimistic but I'm only succeeding in being optimistically pessimistic.

I'd love to see a committed battling display and a win or a draw but I wont be surprised to see a capitulation and if that happens the thought of players laughing and chatting as they run off will leave a very bad taste, if it happens.

Then there's what will happen next. With SG in charge I just can't see any improvement. I can't see him appointing a director of football as that'll mean less control so how can the club move forward? Time will tell I suppose but at the moment I'm about as pessimistic about the clubs future as I've ever been. More of the same we've seen in recent years but with survival in the championship may be the best we can realistically hope for.

4 hours ago, Uwe said:

Don’t even get me started on talkSPORT. Very rarely mention the championship. Unless it’s that gobs**te Adrian Durham and then it’s only to slag it off. I mean does that guy even like sport at all, the way he goes on 😡

Stopped listening to them some time ago,I phoned in on a rant about some thing 40 mins hanging on the line at 50p a min...2 sessions of adverts too...Cured of that now tho 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Blanco said:

Thanks for the Star Wars reference AR because I hadn’t got a clue what you were on about 😃.

Agree re concentration for the rest of the day. I can’t think about anything else 😱

I dint know either

3 hours ago, Downsouth said:

With the points you raised and I totally agree with you actually means we are not technically safe but boy some strange results need to happen to relegate us.

Have a feeling there will be some nasty tastes in various mouths tonight

And strange results seem to be happening at the moment 

• Latest Posts

• imo, anyone who criticises Marcus T either doesn't see us playing very often or doesn't have a particularly good understanding of the game. Not meaning to sound harsh, but his contribution to the team is very clear to see. He's not perfect by any means, but then not many players are, especially at this level. If you're just simply looking for players to criticise then there are usually about 8 or 9 players you should start with before Mr T each game  
    • I honestly believe a full season under Wilder in the LCM role would show everyone just how good he is. I think if you took him out of our midfield you'd see how bad and unbalanced it is. McGree and Crooks won't work because neither of them cover enough ground or do the defensive side of the game.  Howson I love but let's be honest he's not a traditional out and out CDM. He losses the ball too often in bad positions and his positioning for CDM can be quite poor. He brings commitment, energy and workrate though.  For me in midfield we need a LWB, CDM and an RCM. I would drop Crooks to the bench or move him on. I know that he's scored ten goals this season but I believe we can sign players that more suit Wilders system with energy, pressing and intensity. I would keep him for the bench but personally would look to replace him in the starting team. Tavernier was in the Top 10 for both Key Passes and Tackles Won. He was ranked 3rd for passes in the final third. He's expected goals and assists combined for this season was 15. I could see him getting 15-20 goal contributions in a full season under Wilder. He had 10 this season and has shown real signs of improvement. He does a lot more than what people realise for the team.  Tavernier was given corners because he was the only real left-footed option in the team. I do agree though that most of his deliveries were relatively poor considering he's our designated corner kick tacker they didn't look practiced.
    • Wouldn't call it interesting personally (i.e. not sure what there is to draw from it), think it just reinforces the club are happy they moved on from him. I can't remember the last time they did a season long goals montage so I could be wrong but it feels like this alone is a little out of the ordinary and perhaps only put together because Wilder is at the helm. I think the club is just continuing to want to push Wilder and positivity around him, that's how they approached the Season Card campaign too. It's not necessarily wanting to reflect on the season just gone as a whole but more to give an idea of what's to come.
    • I don't think corner taking ability is really something that pushes someone over that £10m threshold. He can be both one of our better corner takers, and still not be a particularly good corner taker, but that really feels like grasping at straws for something to still criticise him with. 
    • For what it’s worth with Tav, I genuinely think he would flourish as a left wing back, and simplified his game.  Tav travels well with the ball, is energetic and I can’t fault his work ethic at all. He always puts a shift in. But I just think he could use it so much better than he is currently doing from watching him this season. I still think he has some work to do in the final third, which ironically was where we struggled most to break teams down. I just don’t think he’s there yet and I don’t think he does a job which an additional player in midfielder couldn’t do (he’s replaceable).   For a player who takes corners, you’d expect better delivery on a more consistent basis for him to be worth 10m + which some are quoting on various platforms.    I realise that Tav is very polarised on the opinion poll. Like I say, I don’t hate him and think he’s ‘bad’, he’s just not consistent enough yet to be deemed as integral to how we play in midfield in my view