oneBoro Forum

Shrewsbury Town vs Boro 1985

My first ever Boro game and what a game it was! A two-nil win to stay up, two players sent off and the great Heini Otto's final appearance for Boro. This season has brought back many memories of the 84-85 campaign - I'm hoping that this Wednesday will be less dramatic for us!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As I left this game there was a police woman watching the fans out of one of the first floor windows of Shrewsbury's offices and a burly Boro fan beside shouted up to her "We'll be back at Gay Meadow on the last day next year love, but then it'll be about PROMOTION!!!!".

He was half right.

• Like 1

Alf Duffield was back in the North East the following morning to play for his over 40s Sunday league team.

I have the Radio Cleveland commentary on the game (sad, I know). I think that someone else has also already uploaded it to YouTube.

• Like 2

Great to hear that commentary. I remember the second half seeming like an eternity, although I can't recall at what point Gary Hamilton and Peter Beagrie were sent off. 

Yes, he certainly was playing the next day! 

middlesbrough-fc-chairman-alf-duffield-playing-football-at-dormans-ET4A03.jpg

On 8/2/2020 at 2:31 PM, McMordie said:

Alf Duffield was back in the North East the following morning to play for his over 40s Sunday league team.

I have the Radio Cleveland commentary on the game (sad, I know). I think that someone else has also already uploaded it to YouTube.

Told you before McMordie, it's not sad at all, great bit of Boro history 👍

On 8/3/2020 at 6:59 PM, Red G said:

Great to hear that commentary. I remember the second half seeming like an eternity, although I can't recall at what point Gary Hamilton and Peter Beagrie were sent off. 

Yes, he certainly was playing the next day! 

Here you go red 👍

On 8/3/2020 at 6:59 PM, Red G said:

middlesbrough-fc-chairman-alf-duffield-playing-football-at-dormans-ET4A03.jpg

IMG_20200804_193728.jpg

IMG_20200804_193740.jpg

My wife & I went to Amsterdam last October for a mini break, we visited Ajax stadium during over stay 

After the tour I asked is Heine Otto still involved with Ajax, yes & he runs the academy not 10 minutes from the stadium

Short story & within 60 minutes Heine met us at the gatehouse & invited us both to have a coffee, chat & photos in the academy players canteen, fantastic 

• Like 4

Great to hear about Heine Otto. I wish that I had got him to sign my programme from that day. Hard to believe that crowds were as low as 3,000 at Ayresome Park that season

20200806_191105.jpg

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Red G said:

Great to hear about Heine Otto. I wish that I had got him to sign my programme from that day. Hard to believe that crowds were as low as 3,000 at Ayresome Park that season

20200806_191105.jpg

Absolute quality player, who could & should have played in a Boro team eitherside oh his time & he would'nt have been out of place in either John Neals exciting young team, or Bruce's babes

• Like 1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A6BC2fLTKZNi4x4e8

When we arrived at the gatehouse I asked the girl working there if Heine was in today, she said yes but if you want to meet him you need to make an appointment, I then explained we're big Boro fans & flying back to the UK tomorrow, I then showed her some photos on my phone of Heine in his Boro days, she then phoned him & said there are Boro fans at the gate, he said, I'll be there in 5 minutes 

Walking down I knew it was him & how well he looked, he came through the gate with a big smile, shook my hand & gave my wife a kiss, then asked if we want to go inside for a coffee

He spoke fondly of his time at the Boro & living in Marton 

Screenshot_20200806_202948.jpg

• Like 3