oneBoro Forum

Goodbye Adam Clayton and thank you

Again with the pace and pressures of the last sequence of games and our attention purely results based we did not have any real time to mention that Adam Clayton had left the club. Was slightly surprised that he had been asked to be part of the squad for the SW game but declined Neil Warnock's offer for inclusion but in view of how little he has been involved whilst available then perhaps no surprises.

Adam Clayton has been a long time servant of the club for a few years now and although Brunners might be surprised to hear me say this he does deserve a mention and an acknowledgement of his time and efforts with MFC.

I am sure that his role was possibly not what he really wanted and I think he was stifled to a degree by playing styles asked by previous Managers.

But he was a MFC player involved wth both highs and lows and deserves our thanks for his time.

Wish the man well and he will always be made welcome by the faithful should he return to the Riverside.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up...................any guesses?

• Like 11

Nothing but respect for Clayton, always did what was asked of him and was one of the best midfielders in the league for 2 seasons - even more impressive that it was a new role for him.

Think he's still a championship quality player and he'll land on his feet. 

• Like 2

I hope he finds success somewhere; Adam Clayton will always be one of my favourite Middlesbrough players of all time. One of the best CMs in the league & part of the best CM partnership for two seasons. 

Bit sad on how it has ended for him, but I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. Good luck Clayts!

• Like 2

Had a great 2 seasons in a position that suited him and was an integral part of the best 2years we have had following the Boro in the last decade.  

Good luck and thanks for the memories  

• Like 2

There's no doubting his best years for us came under Karanka despite the player himself preferring a more attacking midfield role, but you can't deny his commitment up until he was dropped by Pulis. 

Hasn't looked the same player since so I think it's best for us and him that he's moving on.

• Like 1

He was vicious in that brilliant pairing with Leadbitter during the promotion season. Chasing anyone down who dared show attacking intent in our half. He took loads of yellows for the team that season.

Had boots like Toblerones when it came to shooting though.

Cheers Clayton 👍🏻

• Like 3

Clayton did brilliantly under Karanka, but I will never forget his first game under Monk, scurrying around as an auxiliary CB while the rest of the team were in the opposition penalty box. After that, I don't think he was ever used to his full potential, and I don't think he played especially well in his historic CDM role either.

Goodbye and good luck.

sad to see it end as it did ,but thats life as a footballer sometimes. as said numerous times he was one of our stand out peformers in the AK Heydays, quite possibly THE stand out imo. but looking back on that time in his career you could also argue that with moulding him into a holding/defensive midfielder from a all round midfielder led to  the epitaph summing up his career. ..the making of him became the breaking of him.

anyways ,cheers adam, you were my favouriite borop player in those karanka days but it was sad to see what had transpired in this car crash season . the will to perform was still there but the engine was stuttering.