oneBoro Forum

Flashback/On this Day Erimus74 & McMordie

FAC 3rd round  - Boro flashback 8th January 1983

Boro 2 Bishop Stortford 2

Isthmian league Bishop Stortford who had reached the FAC 3rd round for the 1st time in their 109 year history were drawn away to the mighty Boro, who themselves were struggling at the wrong end of the 2nd division

An attendance of 13,207 witnessed a crazy match when we went at half 2 nil to the good only to finish the game lucky to force a replay as Stortford fought back to pull the game level & take us to the Town ground 

Things looked fine when with Boro forcing Stortford on the back fuss & Stortford unable to clear the ball after numerous attempts when finally the ball fell to Stephen Bell infront of goal who tucked the ball past keeper at the holgate end, 1-0

Not much later Stortford were putting a bit of pressure on the Boro defence when the ball was cleared out to Stephen Bell just outside the Boro penalty area, Belly set off over the half way line played out wide to Joe Bolton, after a few passes the ball fell to Belky who placed it passed their keeper at the holgate end, 2-0

Boro going in at half time with a good commanding lead against non league opposition & felt confident of progressing to the 4th round

The 2nd half was typical of our season, Bishop fought back to 2-1, Boro were nervous & back peddling & Bishop could sense the panic in our team & pressed for an equaliser which they rightly deserved, 2-2

It was now a question of Boro hoping to still be in the cup tie at FT, luckily come the final whistle we were

Big Mals team

Jim Platt

Mick Kennedy

Joe Bolton

Mick Baxter

Irving Nattrass

Heine Otto

Darren Wood

Paul Sugrue

Dave Shearer

Ray Hankin

Stephen Bell

IMG_20190723_113841.jpg

Stephen Bell...jpeg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

26th August 1995 27 years ago today, Boro played their 1st ever game at the Riverside Stadium, our brand new sparkling stadium, the ideas & blueprints were printed in the Evening Gazette on t

If memory serves right, he got a hat trick in one reserve game . Very unlucky to be playing same time as Pat Jennings as would have won many more caps, but then would we have been able to hang on to h

50 years today - IMHO the start of an unbelievable, never to be forgotten season                                   25th August 1973                  Portsmouth 0 v The mighty Boro 1 50 yea

Posted Images

JFK scored against Ostrava........? (insert poor taste remark about shot from grassy knoll)

about twenty years ago was in Bruges on holiday with wife and we got talking to another couple, when we said we were from Boro, he said one of the greatest memories he had was playing for Bishops Stortford at Ayresome and being sent back out after full time to hear the Holgate chanting the teams name and getting a standing ovation from the crowd....lovely fella and said that every time he comes across someone from here, he tries to show he still appreciates that.....and he said Festa was onside for Cup Final goal (we wuz robbed)  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Old Codger said:

JFK scored against Ostrava........? (insert poor taste remark about shot from grassy knoll)

about twenty years ago was in Bruges on holiday with wife and we got talking to another couple, when we said we were from Boro, he said one of the greatest memories he had was playing for Bishops Stortford at Ayresome and being sent back out after full time to hear the Holgate chanting the teams name and getting a standing ovation from the crowd....lovely fella and said that every time he comes across someone from here, he tries to show he still appreciates that.....and he said Festa was onside for Cup Final goal (we wuz robbed)  

Old Codger, nice story 👍

13 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

@RiseSirAxlRose feel free to enjoy this thread as it's great, but please dont quote the whole post each time!

“Feel free too enjoy this thread” - oh thank you!

Are you a moderator/admin? Why is this such an issue to you? It’s easier for me to do it? You want me to script/delete/edit each post from Erimus? Seems disproportionate to the crime of quoting a post. Extremely anal you’ve even spotted it tbh

8 hours ago, RiseSirAxlRose said:

“Feel free too enjoy this thread” - oh thank you!

Are you a moderator/admin? Why is this such an issue to you? It’s easier for me to do it? You want me to script/delete/edit each post from Erimus? Seems disproportionate to the crime of quoting a post. Extremely anal you’ve even spotted it tbh

On my phone and it's annoying to scroll through multiple lengthy repeated posts.

No i'm not a mod or an admin, just think you should show a bit of courtesy to other forum users.

30 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

We are not going down this road especially a thread that should not invite controvosy.

DZ sadly we have to put up with the way postsare formatted.

Thanks chaps

Well then, this excellent thread just lost a viewer.

• Wow 1

FAC 3rd round  - Boro flashback 9th January 1946

The 1st FAC to be played after the 2nd world war & one & only time a 2nd legged system has been used in an FAC fixtue

After drawing the 3rd round, 1st leg at Eland road 4-4, with goals from Thomas Murphy, Micky Fenton & a brace from George Dews, the mighty Boro won the 2nd leg 7-2, 11-6 on aggregate, with goals from Jimmy Gordon his 1st Boro goal, George Hardwick penalty, a Micky Fenton hat trick, Jonny Suppler & John Douglas

• Like 1
On 1/9/2020 at 1:10 AM, Erimus74 said:

FAC 3rd round  - Boro flashback 8th January 1983

Boro 2 Bishop Stortford 2

Isthmian league Bishop Stortford who had reached the FAC 3rd round for the 1st time in their 109 year history were drawn away to the mighty Boro, who themselves were struggling at the wrong end of the 2nd division

An attendance of 13,207 witnessed a crazy match when we went at half 2 nil to the good only to finish the game lucky to force a replay as Stortford fought back to pull the game level & take us to the Town ground 

Things looked fine when with Boro forcing Stortford on the back fuss & Stortford unable to clear the ball after numerous attempts when finally the ball fell to Stephen Bell infront of goal who tucked the ball past keeper at the holgate end, 1-0

Not much later Stortford were putting a bit of pressure on the Boro defence when the ball was cleared out to Stephen Bell just outside the Boro penalty area, Belly set off over the half way line played out wide to Joe Bolton, after a few passes the ball fell to Belky who placed it passed their keeper at the holgate end, 2-0

Boro going in at half time with a good commanding lead against non league opposition & felt confident of progressing to the 4th round

The 2nd half was typical of our season, Bishop fought back to 2-1, Boro were nervous & back peddling & Bishop could sense the panic in our team & pressed for an equaliser which they rightly deserved, 2-2

It was now a question of Boro hoping to still be in the cup tie at FT, luckily come the final whistle we were

Big Mals team

Jim Platt

Mick Kennedy

Joe Bolton

Mick Baxter

Irving Nattrass

Heine Otto

Darren Wood

Paul Sugrue

Dave Shearer

Ray Hankin

Stephen Bell

I was at that game and if I remember rightly, Bishop Stortford had a large, imposing bald CF called Lynden Lynch. I’m pretty sure he scored the equaliser. Grandstand did a feature on him on the morning of the match, I remember watching it and thinking that he was bound to score against us. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

On my phone and it's annoying to scroll through multiple lengthy repeated posts.

No i'm not a mod or an admin, just think you should show a bit of courtesy to other forum users.

I think if you’d have positioned it far, far less patronising it would have made sense? Genuinely. 

im not savvy on editing a reply etc, it’s an age thing! so it honestly just is a pain for me. I’ll take your comments on board though and try to restrict that going forward where possible.

Edited by RiseSirAxlRose
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, RiseSirAxlRose said:

I think if you’d have positioned it far, far less patronising it would have made sense? Genuinely. 

im not savvy on editing a reply etc, it’s an age thing! so it honestly just is a pain for me. I’ll take your comments on board though and try to restrict that going forward where possible.

Hey, I didnt mean to sound patronising so I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Don't mind me, I was grumpy this morning.