oneBoro Forum

Flashback/On this Day Erimus74 & McMordie

On 1/14/2020 at 10:29 AM, Erimus74 said:

Boro flashback - 14th January 1978

Ten out of ten & one for neatness says the commentator

Boro went to St James on the back of an excellent 3-0 FAC 3rd round home win over Coventry the previous saturday but in the league we're looking for our 1st win since the 17th december when we beat Villa 1-0 & our 1st win on the road since 12th November, John Neal was in the early stages as manager with his team building needs to find some consistency in his players hes inherited, minus Graeme Souness who had recently departed to Liverpool

Boro won this game 4-2 with a double from Billy Ashcroft with his 3rd & 4th goals of the season & his 1st Boro goals on his travels, in between Billys goals, Stuey Boam started the rout with his 1st of the season & Stan Cummins with his 3rd of the season

John Neals team

Jim Paltt

John Craggs - returning to his former employers

Ian Bailey

John Mahoney

Stuey Boam

Alan Ramage

David Mills

Billy Ashcroft

Tony McAndrew

Davey Armstrong

Billy Ashcroft.jpg

Alan Ramage.JPG

Ah mate loves reading that and watching the accompanying video. Thank you so much for all of this. I really do appreciate it. When I’m having a *** time I love reading your threads, it’s a really good pick me up and distraction from day to day crap in my life atm - so thank you! 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

26th August 1995 27 years ago today, Boro played their 1st ever game at the Riverside Stadium, our brand new sparkling stadium, the ideas & blueprints were printed in the Evening Gazette on t

If memory serves right, he got a hat trick in one reserve game . Very unlucky to be playing same time as Pat Jennings as would have won many more caps, but then would we have been able to hang on to h

50 years today - IMHO the start of an unbelievable, never to be forgotten season                                   25th August 1973                  Portsmouth 0 v The mighty Boro 1 50 yea

Posted Images

19 hours ago, RiseSirAxlRose said:

Ah mate loves reading that and watching the accompanying video. Thank you so much for all of this. I really do appreciate it. When I’m having a *** time I love reading your threads, it’s a really good pick me up and distraction from day to day crap in my life atm - so thank you! 🙂 

19 hours ago, RiseSirAxlRose said:

RiseSirAxlRose, 1st off, I'm sorry to hear how you are presently feeling, if what I post picks you up then it shows what these forums that are excellently put together are worthy of to us all

IMHO, we don't see enough of the Boro of yesterday something I'm so passionate about 

Take care & continue reading & enjoy this forum, hopefully your days start to improve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15th of January 1972

Man City 1 Boro 1

Boro, plying their trade in the 2nd division, have for the past 4 seasons challenged the league division two teams to win promotion to play the big clubs of English football & not many come bigger than Man City 

Boro who will travel to Maine Road having been drawn away to Man City in the 3rd round of the FAC

Boro took the lead when David Mills shocked our top tier opponents & with 11 minutes remaining & Boro standing firm & resolute with everything City had thrown at them were denied a remarkable cup win they rightly deserved when Franny Lee, to the majority of the ecstatic 42,620 fans, took it into his own hands to fall over his own boot laces  & 'win' a penalty that he greatly accepted & converted to put it beyond Jim Platt who was playing his 1st FAC match 

Oh for the replay

Stan Cup braves

Jim Platt 

John Craggs

Gordon Jones

Willie Maddren 

Stuey Boam 

Bill Gates 

Nobby Stiles

Eric McMordie 

David Mills 

John Hickton 

Derek Downing 

Sub

Joe Laidlaw

Man City FAC 15011972.jpeg

Edited by Erimus74
  • Like 1
On 1/16/2020 at 7:08 PM, Erimus74 said:

15th of January 1972

Man City 1 Boro 1

Boro, plying their trade in the 2nd division, have for the past 4 seasons challenged the league division two teams to win promotion to play the big clubs of English football & not many come bigger than Man City 

Boro who will travel to Maine Road having been drawn away to Man City in the 3rd round of the FAC

Boro took the lead when David Mills shocked our top tier opponents & with 11 minutes remaining & Boro standing firm & resolute with everything City had thrown at them were denied a remarkable cup win they rightly deserved when Franny Lee, to the majority of the ecstatic 42,620 fans, took it into his own hands to fall over his own boot laces  & 'win' a penalty that he greatly accepted & converted to put it beyond Jim Platt who was playing his 1st FAC match 

Oh for the replay

Stan Cup braves

Jim Platt 

John Craggs

Gordon Jones

Willie Maddren 

Stuey Boam 

Bill Gates 

Nobby Stiles

Eric McMordie 

David Mills 

John Hickton 

Derek Downing 

Sub

Joe Laidlaw

Man City FAC 15011972.jpeg

They’ve always liked a good dive at city. 

whenever I think of City from that era, I always remember the lady who was at nearly every one of their games... nicknamed Tinkerbell for a very obvious reason...if you thought drums were bad, she would change your opinion in the first five minutes 

Thank you Old Codger, nice tribute to a part of history I grew up with knowing about & a couple of times when visiting Maine Road I could hear the bell & also hearing on MOTD of the 70's

And sadly something that will never be repeated 

• Like 1

This day on the 19th January 1985

Boro drew 0-0 at home to Portsmouth in front of 4,622 fans & the introduction of Boro's 3rd loaned player, our 1st outfield loaned player, No543 registered Boro player & the 5th player to wear the No2 that season up to his debut

John Kay, on loan from Wimbledon, made his 2nd appearence for the mighty Boro, his home debut & the same result of his debut the previous week in a 0-0 draw at Wolves

John Kay went on to make 8 appearences for the Boro, drawing 4 & losing 4

Willie Maddrens team

Kelham O'Hanlon 

John Kay

Gary Hamilton

Mick Buckley 

Tony Mowbray 

Irving Nattrass 

Paul Ward 

David Mills 

Heine Otto 

David Currie 

Tony McAndrew 

Sub

Alan Roberts 

• Like 2

lots of players made fleeting appearances then  never pushed on..Barron, Charlton, Bennion, Myton....must be many nearly men who we don't really talk about any more...remember going to watch reserves a few times and thinking that people like Stonehouse and Riby were going to break through and make headlines..didn't happen for them but some (Poskett)....fared better elsewhere.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Old Codger said:

lots of players made fleeting appearances then  never pushed on..Barron, Charlton, Bennion, Myton....must be many nearly men who we don't really talk about any more...remember going to watch reserves a few times and thinking that people like Stonehouse and Riby were going to break through and make headlines..didn't happen for them but some (Poskett)....fared better elsewhere.  

I was chatting to Bobby Scaife in a pub in Acklam recently, he's a golfing friend of my brothers

I've always wanted to meet him to chat about his time at the Boro & his winning sprint around Wembley before the 1974 FAC final 

• Like 1

Boro flashback - This day 23rd January 1971

After the excellent result in the FAC  3rd round when knocking out Man Utd Boro travelled to GoodisonPark to face 1st division champions Everton in the 4th round, who beat Blackburn 2-0 in the 3rd round

Everton beat us 3-0 & ended our involvement in the FAC for another season

Boro rosette 6.jpeg

• Like 1