oneBoro Forum

Flashback/On this Day Erimus74 & McMordie

Boro flashback 5th March 1977

Leeds 2 Boro 1

Two firsts this day back in 77

Firstly, Alan Ramage who had made one sub appearance the final game of previous season away to Villa was handed his full debut this day 

Secondly, Alf Wood a free transfer scored his 1st goal for the Boro to put the mighty Boro one nil to the good when scoring at the Boro end, as we celebrated behind the goal someone behind nicked my Boro hat full of metal badges, fancy pinching from one of your own hey 

With thoughts of Boro pulling off another victory at Leeds following last seasons 2-0 win, up stepped Gordon McQueen the towering Leeds Centre half who pulled the game out of the bag bagging 2 goals, the Boro had grabbed defeat from the Jaws of victory 

Big Jacks team facing defeat as a manager on his old stomping ground

Pat Cuff 

John Craggs 

Terry Cooper - Facing his old team mates

Tony McAndrew

Stuey Boam 

Alan Ramage 

Phil Boersma

David Mills 

Peter Brine 

Alf Wood

Davey Armstrong 

Sub - Alan Willey who replaced Peter Brine in the 2nd half

Alf Wood v Leeds.jpeg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

26th August 1995 27 years ago today, Boro played their 1st ever game at the Riverside Stadium, our brand new sparkling stadium, the ideas & blueprints were printed in the Evening Gazette on t

If memory serves right, he got a hat trick in one reserve game . Very unlucky to be playing same time as Pat Jennings as would have won many more caps, but then would we have been able to hang on to h

50 years today - IMHO the start of an unbelievable, never to be forgotten season                                   25th August 1973                  Portsmouth 0 v The mighty Boro 1 50 yea

Posted Images

Boro flashback - This day back in 76

Boro travelled to Anfield on the 6th March to face Liverpool, who had been on their European travels in midweek on their quest in the European Cup 

Boro's last away game seen big John bag 2 goals as the mighty Boro ran out 2-0 winners at Leeds, two tough away games on the bounce, one down, one to go

The Liverpool game followed the same as Leeds with the Boro again running out 2-0 winners, though this time we seen Terry Cooper score his one & only Boro goal, on his 47th appearance & a goal from ever reliable iconic legend John Hickton, with his 12th goal of the season 

Big Jacks team

Jim Platt 

John Craggs 

Terry Cooper 

Graeam souness 

Stuey Boam

Tony McAndrew 

Phil Boersma 

David Mills 

John Hickton 

Willie Maddren 

David Armstrong 

Liverpool 060376.jpeg

Boro flashback - This day the 9th March 1974

My favourite season ever seen the mighty Boro win their 6th double of the season when beating Millwall 2-1at Ayresome Park with goals from David Mills scoring his 9th goal of the season & Frank Spraggon with his 1st goal for 2 years, since the 15th April 1972

This was our 4th win on the bounce, which we have achieved a number of times during the the 70's

Big Jacks team

Jim Platt 

John Craggs 

Frank Spraggon 

Graeme Souness 

Stuey Boam 

Willie Maddren 

Bobby Murdoch 

David Mills 

John Hickton 

Alan Foggon 

Davey Armstrong 

IMG_20190719_092108.jpg

IMG_20200203_142653.jpg

IMG_20200203_145522.jpg

Edited by Erimus74
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Boro flashback - This day 1979

Boro 2 Villa 0

After our midweek home defeat to Everton Jim Platt was brought back in to the 1st team for his 1st game of the signing, summer signing Jim Stewart had started the season as No1 but, normal service was resumed & Jim Platt was brought back in from the cold

with only one win in 8 games & one this calander year Boro had to start getting results or will need to look over their shoulder at the other end of the season

Our last home win was a7-2 thumping of Chelsea back in the middle of December, far too long to go without a win, add to that Micky Burns hasnt scored since bagging 4 v Chelsea

This day 1979 two things went for the Boro, we won at home 2-0 & Micjky Burns was back on the scoresheet with his 10th goal of the season, Mark Proctor doubled Boro's lead to take his goal tally of the season to 4 & the 2 points remained on Teesside with the crowd of 16,558,  500 up on the midweek home defeat 

John neals team

Jim Platt

John Craggs

Peter Johnson

John Mahoney

Stuey Boam

Tony McAndrew

David Hodgson

Mark Proctor

Billy Ashcroft

Micky Burns

Dave Armstrong 

Sub

Dave Shearer

Jim Platt.jpg

John Craggs.jpg

John Mahoney.jpg

Mark Proctor.jpg

Micky Burns signed.JPG

Boro flashback - 23 years ago today Boro created history 

Boro 0 Stockport 1

League Cup semi final 2nd leg at the Riverside, typical Boro leading Stockport 2-0 from the away 1st leg lost the 2nd leg at the Riverside 1-0 with a County goal after only 6 minutes & with it 29k Boro fans biting their finger nails till the ref blew the full time

The ref blew the final whistle & the Boro were at Wembley 

I remember being in the yelliw rose after the game & with losing it felt strange, didn't feel as though we had something to celebrate, a typical Boro moment indeed 

IMG_20200312_102021.jpg

Boro flashback 1987

Walsall 1 Boro 0

This day the 14th March Boro lost that last ever 3rd division match away at Fellows Park

This defeat, which was Boro's 3rd in 4 games was the worry are the mighty Boro starting to wobble at the wrong time

Just remember we had stated the season without any friendly matches, infact we just before the season started we didn't know if we had a football team, but a football team we had thankfully, who started the season like an express team beating all before & going unbeaten till October, the Walsall defeat had Bruce Rioch coming out with the following statement 

We started the season going 12 games unbeaten, let's finish the season one better & stay unbeaten in the remaining 13 games

One memory I have of this fixture is before kick off seeing Ronnie Coyle & a few other fringe players eating fish & chips from a chippie outside the ground

Bruce's team

Stephen Pears 

Gary Hamilton 

Colin Cooper 

Tony Mowbray 

Gary Parkinson 

Gary Pallister 

Bernie Slaven 

Archie Stephens 

Paul Kerr 

Gary Gill

Stuart Ripley

Sub 

Alan Kernaghan who replaced Archie Stephens in the 2nd half 

Boro flashback - This day 1995

Robbo & the mighty Boro were well & truly feeling the pressure of PL football 

We had lost 8 games on the bounce from the 26th December when on the 24th February & the return of long time absentee Robbie Mustoe, we stopped the rot with a hard earned 0-0 draw at Coventry

Robbo, wrongfully, thought we had turned the corner, but 2 further games & 2  losses seen us at the stage 10 games without a victory & up next, Nottm Forest, a team we have failed to beat since 1973, we had not gained a single home point this calander year, no points on home soil since beating West Ham 4-2 on the 23rd December 

Again, Boro were grateful for the services of Robbie Mustoe & what a time to score your 1st PL goal of the season, when just before the hour mark, he scored Boro's equaliser a minute after Forest had taken the lead

The vast majority of the excellent crowd of 29,382 finally seen us get a point on the board in 1995

Robbo team

Gary Walsh 

Neil Cox 

Curtis Flemming

Nigel Pearson

Derek Whyte 

Jamie Pollock

Branco

Robbie Mustoe 

Nick Barmby

Juninho

John Hendrie

That run was a bit deflating after the start we'd made.  Was it Leeds or Sheff Wed we eventually beat to end it?  Leeds away?  Sheff Wed at home around Easter time I think?  That one was a TV game and Freestone, who was hoped to be the next big thing 🤨, scored a goal if I remember rightly.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Erimus74 said:

Good memory, we beat em both within a week, Leeds 1st 👍

Yeah, I listened to that game on the radio.  I want to say that Leeds had a man sent off and Lucas Radebe ended up in goal for them as well?  We still could only manage a 1-0 win with a penalty though lol?  That's if it's that game and I'm not remembering another one in it's place.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, I listened to that game on the radio.  I want to say that Leeds had a man sent off and Lucas Radebe ended up in goal for them as well?  We still could only manage a 1-0 win with a penalty though lol?  That's if it's that game and I'm not remembering another one in it's place.

Here you go mate 👍

IMG_20200316_135905.jpg