oneBoro Forum

Flashback/On this Day Erimus74 & McMordie

16 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Didn’t get paid as much in those days so it was harder for them to pull? 🙂

Could well have been!

It was actually to thank the supporters for their understanding when the Leicester City game was abandoned due to floodlight failure a few days earlier.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

26th August 1995 27 years ago today, Boro played their 1st ever game at the Riverside Stadium, our brand new sparkling stadium, the ideas & blueprints were printed in the Evening Gazette on t

If memory serves right, he got a hat trick in one reserve game . Very unlucky to be playing same time as Pat Jennings as would have won many more caps, but then would we have been able to hang on to h

50 years today - IMHO the start of an unbelievable, never to be forgotten season                                   25th August 1973                  Portsmouth 0 v The mighty Boro 1 50 yea

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, McMordie said:

Could well have been!

It was actually to thank the supporters for their understanding when the Leicester City game was abandoned due to floodlight failure a few days earlier.

Actually, now that you've said it, I have heard or read about that before I think.  Before I was born mind 🙂

24 minutes ago, McMordie said:

You mean the bit about Lumley having the shot covered is a bit far fetched?

No...  it was the ridiculously short distance on Paddy's backpass that gave you away 

On This Day - October 7th 1972

Middlesbrough 1 Millwall 0

Late drama at Ayresome Park as Boro snatched the points with a goal in the 89th minute after Millwall dominated the first half.

Harry Cripps in particular caused Boro problems in the first 45 minutes, twice firing narrowly over the bar and having another shot brilliantly saved by Jim Platt. Kitchener had a goal bound shot blocked and Possee also fired over when well placed, with Boro on the back foot.

However, the balance of the game changed with a half time tactical switch by Boro, who took off defender Gordon Jones and brought on 19 year old substitute Peter Brine for his debut, against a Millwall team whose ground is less than 5 miles from his Greenwich birthplace. Four minutes from time he almost capped his debut with a goal but Millwall keeper King brilliantly saved his scorching shot. There was still time for Boro to take both points though. A Spaggon throw in was nodded down by Hickton for Willie Maddren to apply the finish to send most of the 10,863 crowd home happy.

Boro team - Platt, Jones (Brine), Spraggon, Boam, Gates, McMordie, Stiles, Hickton, Mills, Craggs, Maddren.

After losing three of their first four games of the 1972/73 season Boro had no gone 8 without defeat and were 8th in the table, 3 points behind joint leaders Burnley and Sheffield Wednesday,

Elsewhere - Burnley went top on goal difference with a 2-1 home win over Swindon Town, which took them above morning leaders Wednesday on goal difference after Wednesday were held 1-1 at Preston and a point clear of Aston Villa, who lost 2-0 at Fulham. Sunderland were in mid table after a 5-1 defeat at Oxford. Liverpool were top of the First Division after beating Everton 1-0 in the Anfield Merseyside derby, which took them two points clear of Arsenal, who lost 1-0 at Sheffield United. Newcastle were in mid table after a 3-1 home win over Norwich City. Hartlepool were in mid table in the Fourth Division after a 0-0 draw away to Football League new boys Hereford United but Darlington were struggling near the bottom after losing 1-0 at Bury. In the Northern League, South Bank lost 2-1 to Durham, a win which took Durham up to joint second behind leaders Blyth Spartans, who needed a late equaliser to snatch a 1-1 draw against Whitby. Billingham Synthonia drew 0-0 at Evenwood.

In the news - There was controversy after a leaked Government report revealed plans to cut many north east rail links, costing hundreds of jobs (one of the lines under threat was Middlesbrough to Darlington), Asian refugees were arriving in the UK after being expelled from Uganda by Idi Amin and Prime Minister Edward Heath declared war on inflation. David Cassidy was top of the UK Singles Chart with How Can I Be Sure.

• Like 1

Probably just me, but the most depressing part of these snippets to me is always the Number Ones...  what were people smoking in the Seventies?...     Yeah, I know, once you start saying stuff was better in my day, you are officially a "dinosaur", ..  never liked Terry Dactyl or T.Rex, so must be a trilobite 🙂

Do you have any sisters? I had to live through the first part of the 1970s with David Cassidy, Donny Osmond and the Bay City Rollers coming from my sister's bedroom on repeat.

Eye Level was a catchy tune though. A bit like the Likely Lads theme tune in taking you straight back to 1973.

sixties was our era, so she was into Beatles, Kinks, Gerry & Pacemakers, Animals and (one for Blanco) Them.. your sister sounds like she was one of the gang that went for image before the music (not meant to sound patronising), things started to get very targeted with marketing and Radio 1 bombarded the teenagers with "safe" music, whereas we grew up with Luxembourg and the "pirates"..  bit like me being "original" Likely Lads and you probably "Whatever happened to".

Yep, Whatever Happened definitely.

The one where they are trying to avoid the football score is like me on weekends these days when I can't get to the Boro match and I'm out on the Saturday and spend Sunday trying to avoid the result until the Full 90 minute replay appears on the MFC website. And then there's the challenge of getting to it without seeing all the references to the score on the website on the way in. It's a hard life being a football supporter.

6 hours ago, McMordie said:

On This Day - October 7th 1972

Middlesbrough 1 Millwall 0

Late drama at Ayresome Park as Boro snatched the points with a goal in the 89th minute after Millwall dominated the first half.

Harry Cripps in particular caused Boro problems in the first 45 minutes, twice firing narrowly over the bar and having another shot brilliantly saved by Jim Platt. Kitchener had a goal bound shot blocked and Possee also fired over when well placed, with Boro on the back foot.

However, the balance of the game changed with a half time tactical switch by Boro, who took off defender Gordon Jones and brought on 19 year old substitute Peter Brine for his debut, against a Millwall team whose ground is less than 5 miles from his Greenwich birthplace. Four minutes from time he almost capped his debut with a goal but Millwall keeper King brilliantly saved his scorching shot. There was still time for Boro to take both points though. A Spaggon throw in was nodded down by Hickton for Willie Maddren to apply the finish to send most of the 10,863 crowd home happy.

Boro team - Platt, Jones (Brine), Spraggon, Boam, Gates, McMordie, Stiles, Hickton, Mills, Craggs, Maddren.

After losing three of their first four games of the 1972/73 season Boro had no gone 8 without defeat and were 8th in the table, 3 points behind joint leaders Burnley and Sheffield Wednesday,

Elsewhere - Burnley went top on goal difference with a 2-1 home win over Swindon Town, which took them above morning leaders Wednesday on goal difference after Wednesday were held 1-1 at Preston and a point clear of Aston Villa, who lost 2-0 at Fulham. Sunderland were in mid table after a 5-1 defeat at Oxford. Liverpool were top of the First Division after beating Everton 1-0 in the Anfield Merseyside derby, which took them two points clear of Arsenal, who lost 1-0 at Sheffield United. Newcastle were in mid table after a 3-1 home win over Norwich City. Hartlepool were in mid table in the Fourth Division after a 0-0 draw away to Football League new boys Hereford United but Darlington were struggling near the bottom after losing 1-0 at Bury. In the Northern League, South Bank lost 2-1 to Durham, a win which took Durham up to joint second behind leaders Blyth Spartans, who needed a late equaliser to snatch a 1-1 draw against Whitby. Billingham Synthonia drew 0-0 at Evenwood.

In the news - There was controversy after a leaked Government report revealed plans to cut many north east rail links, costing hundreds of jobs (one of the lines under threat was Middlesbrough to Darlington), Asian refugees were arriving in the UK after being expelled from Uganda by Idi Amin and Prime Minister Edward Heath declared war on inflation. David Cassidy was top of the UK Singles Chart with How Can I Be Sure.

My mate Peter Brine, IIRC, he made his full debut on the same day as Graeme Souness

32 minutes ago, McMordie said:

I didn't know he was a Londoner until today.

Yea, i remember back in the season i was amazed hecwas from London & playing for the Boro, back then playets didnt come from London, his dad wanted him to play for the Boro 

9 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Think he's in Orstrilia now if I remember correctly, had a restaurant in Queensland called "Salty's" 

Yes, still does, with his 1973-74 shirt & medal framed on tge wall, as far as im aware