oneBoro Forum

Flashback/On this Day Erimus74 & McMordie

Just in case some of our younger members find Clough hard to take or understand.  I can only explain that you went to Ayresome Park on a Saturday afternoon once a fortnight to see how many Clough was going to score   -    not if he was going to score.

Think about that

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

26th August 1995 27 years ago today, Boro played their 1st ever game at the Riverside Stadium, our brand new sparkling stadium, the ideas & blueprints were printed in the Evening Gazette on t

If memory serves right, he got a hat trick in one reserve game . Very unlucky to be playing same time as Pat Jennings as would have won many more caps, but then would we have been able to hang on to h

50 years today - IMHO the start of an unbelievable, never to be forgotten season                                   25th August 1973                  Portsmouth 0 v The mighty Boro 1 50 yea

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

Just in case some of our younger members find Clough hard to take or understand.  I can only explain that you went to Ayresome Park on a Saturday afternoon once a fortnight to see how many Clough was going to score   -    not if he was going to score.

Think about that

My mum knew him during his Billingham Synthonia days and reckoned his persona was an act to mask his shyness.

McM  It's certainly true that he was an interesting character.  I remember reading that he didn't like telling players that they were not playing.  He tended to leave it very late and then would say "oh you can have chips today"  at the pre match meal.

So your mam could well have been correct.

I eventually got his autograph  ................   at a cricket match

She knew him because she used to follow the Synners home and away, often travelling on the team bus. She said that if a girl ever spoke to him he stood there with his ears blushing first and then the blush spreading to the rest of his face.

As an aside, my mum was Billingham Synthonia's supporter of the year one year in the late 1940s or early 1950s and the committee men decided than an appropriate prize for a teenage girl would be some stockings. Different times!

• Haha 1

McM  I've no idea how much stockings cost in 1950ish -not sure I knew then either

I've a feeling that they were in short supply and the big question back then was "Did you need coupons for them" ?

Coupons started easing in the late 40s but continued on some items until the early / mid 50s

I remember being sent to the butchers with the coupon book and some money for our rations of meat for the week

times were different then

Definitely in short supply..  One of the reasons the Americans were popular along with chocolate. Remember my mam saying that she used gravy salts to create the illusion of wearing them, but not feasible on rainy nights

sounds like part of the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch, but makes you realise how lucky we were not to experience that sort of thing 

• Like 1

I think my mum thought that being given stockings as a teenager by a mysterious American serviceman might have been exciting but getting them from a bunch of lecherous old men in the Synners Social Club, less so.

(Could have been even more awkward for the committee if a teenage boy had won).

• Haha 1

An interesting piece of speculation McM - American servicemen bought favours with gifts, I believe

Do you have any evidence that the Committee were actually lecherous ?  One could almost certainly guarantee that they were all or almost all men.  It may be that the Chairman's wife or daughter had advised on the purchase.

To the best of my knowledge I never came across the gravy browning technique although I had heard of it.  I came across one young lady who was forced to wear clean underwear by her mother to go out in - in case she was involved in an accident. 

It was a very different world

31 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

This thread sure has taken a weird turn

It certainly has gone very, "When I were a lad..." and "Kids don't know they're born these days...

I blame Remembrance Day - it gets the old folks reminiscing about the war and their childhoods. 😉