oneBoro Forum

Goodbye George Friend and Thank You

The news of George Friend not deciding to accept a new one year extension and to move to pastures new will come as a shock to many so like those before he deserves his own dedicated thread in order that we can say goodbye and pay tributes to him accordingly.

The object of so many "man crushes" George during his time at Boro could be described as being in the  model professional mould.

Yes his form over the last two seasons made many question whether or not he should be in the squad and that it was time for MFC to learn to live without him. How ironic that we saw glimpses of a return to form during the final few games and it would have been easy for Karanka to offer him a better deal at Birmingham due to that.

Very fond memories of GF some wonderful goals, especially the 35 yard screamer, a terrific servant to the club.

Thanks George good luck to the future and you will still have many admirers here.

Just hope the MFC fans do get the chance to applaud you should you return there to play.

I think that lonely figure of you image sitting in the empty stadium will last a long time, seems you were saying your own goodbyes.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The news of George Friend not deciding to accept a new one year extension and to move to pastures new will come as a shock to many so like those before he deserves his own dedicated thread in order th

Time to move on but as far as VFM , hard to beat and absolutely bought into the club, town and people.  2 things stand out for me.  When my lad was very poorly, we had one of those days through m

Didn't he sign for £100,000? If so, I think he has to be up there with the best VFM signings we've ever made, and that's even more impressive considering how many clubs have pulled our pants down over

Posted Images

I imagine he might have known that it was his last home game when he sat out there alone.

I'll miss him, always enjoyed the George Friend cut inside and it's a shame he's leaving on 299 appearances.

• Like 2

If only we could sign more players like George. Players that stick around through thick and thin. No ego and a great role model. Not to mention a decent left back

To absent Friends!

• Like 3

True professional. Gave his all, best left back in the championship for at least 3 seasons. He took the area to his heart and did so much behind the scenes for the club and those less fortunate. And a true gentleman and nice guy to boot. 
Id normally bloody hate him if he wasn’t so bloody GORGEOUS 😍

CCCA3163-9D2F-4840-8BB2-185D4A4D8A02.thumb.jpeg.3ee873f5169a1d9063bcbb04e9cf0a2a.jpeg

• Like 3

Didn't he sign for £100,000? If so, I think he has to be up there with the best VFM signings we've ever made, and that's even more impressive considering how many clubs have pulled our pants down over the years.

It's the right thing for him to move on, considering recent levels of performance, but I wish him all the very best. Hopefully when fans are allowed back and his name is called out by Mark Page, it will receive a huge cheer - the sendoff he didn't get due to lockdown.

• Like 5

Sad but inevitable.

As others have said, he gave his all for the club during his time with us and put in many great performances. But the last season or so, he hasn't been the player he once was, so its probably best all round if he moves on.

I wish him all the best whatever he decides to do next. Be interesting to see if he gets picked up by another club.

Is he truly in decline, or did the strain of operating in Boro's oft haphazard and shambolic defence simply take its toll?

Whatever the case, I will definitely miss "Gorgeous George".

5 minutes ago, Uwe said:

True professional. Gave his all, best left back in the championship for at least 3 seasons. He took the area to his heart and did so much behind the scenes for the club and those less fortunate. And a true gentleman and nice guy to boot. 
Id normally bloody hate him if he wasn’t so bloody GORGEOUS 😍

CCCA3163-9D2F-4840-8BB2-185D4A4D8A02.thumb.jpeg.3ee873f5169a1d9063bcbb04e9cf0a2a.jpeg

Dammit Uwe!

Now I'm gonna need some...ahem...alone time... :classic_blush:

Don't judge me!

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Dammit Uwe!

Now I'm gonna need some...ahem...alone time... :classic_blush:

Don't judge me!

I know what you mean. My auntie who’sa good catholic woman in her late 50’s bought that calendar and it was September every day of the year in her house 😂

• Haha 3
45 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Didn't he sign for £100,000? If so, I think he has to be up there with the best VFM signings we've ever made, and that's even more impressive considering how many clubs have pulled our pants down over the years.

It's the right thing for him to move on, considering recent levels of performance, but I wish him all the very best. Hopefully when fans are allowed back and his name is called out by Mark Page, it will receive a huge cheer - the sendoff he didn't get due to lockdown.

Yes £100k & choosing us over Ipswich, great work Mogga

• Like 2

Top Professional in every aspect and a role model to those around him. Shame he couldn't see his days out here but I wish him well. Hopefully the fixtures will be kind and we won't get Birmingham at the Riverside until late in the season with the crowd back in to give him a send off.

To misquote Joe Cocker: 

"We got by with a little help from George Friend"

"We got high with a little help from George Friend"

• Like 1

If we can pick up anyone in this transfer window with the same commitment and attitude as George we will do remarkably well, even half of the commitment. 

Must say though I was impressed reading Marvins article yesterday, good on him, I hope he does well for us this season. 

• Like 1